Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

solar credit, can you claim multiple times with upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solar credit, can you claim multiple times with upgrades?

Hi,

Hoping to get further clarification on this.

can you claim additional solar credit if you add for example more panels or a battery system on an existing system already having claimed solar credit in the past. Specifically if I install the system over 2 year ago and I already claimed the ITC credit over 2 year ago, now I add more panels, can I make another ITC claim for this new upgrade?

I asked because on one solar website response was no, but that didn't seem correct and it was the opinion of just one person.

call up your tax advisor/accoount to make sure, but I've read adding battery back up is tax deductable, don't see why panels would not also qualify

Comment

yes
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

I read on energy.gov this

"The solar PV system is new or being used for the first time. The credit can only be claimed on the “original installation” of the solar equipment."

Comment

The question is really can you claim itc credit multiple times for the same home after initiall installation.

Comment

Here is another article

https://news.energysage.com/adding-s...20per%20person

Incentives

If you’re adding additional panels onto your system, you may not be eligible for some of the same incentives (such as tax credits and rebates) that you claimed when you originally installed your system. Many incentives are only allowed to be claimed once per property, or once per person.

Comment

It is also important to distinguish between advice about the Federal tax credit and various state or local incentives.
              As I mentioned on another forum, nothing has changed my opinion or comfort with my decision to take the ITC on multiple expenditures during the past six years..
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Oh it's you from TMC.

Comment

So I just got a call back from one of the CPA he was very clear and stated that you can only get the credit one time for one address.

again it's his opinion he's one CPA It seems to be a mixed response so far

Comment

Mixed responses? Yes, proportional to how many times the question is answered. At least my answer is consistent from one forum to the next but I am just an anonymous poster on the Internet.

Comment

Mixed response is from CPA's you gave you opinion, now move on.

I'm not in disagreement, but as I stated on TMC, our opinion is just that, what the IRS thinks may be different.
                      Last edited by arf88; 02-24-2021, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arf88 View Post
                        Mixed response is from CPA's you gave you opinion, now move on.

I'm not in disagreement, but as I stated on TMC, our opinion is just that, what the IRS thinks may be different.
                        I do like the emoticons on this forum. I agee with your sentiment.

Comment

I've found multiple cases where either expanding an existing PV system or replacing an existing PV system has been deemed "allowable" as an ITC by those claiming to be in the know. At the end of the day, you can claim whatever you want on your taxes and not worry about it until it is disallowed or you get audited. Claiming you were given bad tax advise will not get you out of paying back a disallowed tax credit (with penalties) if the IRS determines you were not eligible to claim it.

Seems to me that expanding a system should qualify as that is increasing the total energy the system creates and the ITC intention was to increase solar generation, right? The question of claiming a tax credit for replacing a system is a bit fuzzy in my opinion since that is not really adding extra solar capacity as much as "repairing" the installed capacity that was already given a tax credit previously.
                          Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                          6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Dave, valid points and I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by arf88 View Post
                              Dave, valid points and I agree.
                              I've taken it 3 times when I enlarged and added storage

Comment

Working...
                              X