X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
    rain water is ambeint temperature, it doesnt' come from a cold house from a ground well located near a glacier.
    never in the history of solar chat forums has any one claimed cold rain destroyed their solar panels. with our without clouds.
    Well I have been out in a rain storm and the drops were not warm or ambient temperature. For that matter they seem pretty cold to me. Remember that some storms produce hail which is ice and not warm.

I mentioned the clouds because once they block the sun the panel temperatures come down from what they were before it rained.

The overall issue is not how to clean the panels but can cold water damage them due to a larger temperature change. Maybe they won't crack right away but will they degrade over time? Most panels are on a roof and out of site for close inspection. How would someone know the panels are slowly degrading unless they can see damage. Or in most cases on this forum when panels start to fail or not produce they look at the equipment or wiring first. Maybe they need to look at the panels and see if there is moisture inside the glass.

I agree that panels need to be cleaned but some type of caution should be taken when putting a cold solution on them when they are hot.

Comment

rain water is ambeint temperature, it doesnt' come from a cold house from a ground well located near a glacier.
      never in the history of solar chat forums has any one claimed cold rain destroyed their solar panels. with our without clouds.
      Can you explain the logic or scientific basis of why you think rainwater is at the ambient air temp ?

Looks to me like you're again out of your knowledge base. You statement makes me think you're ignorant of what influences the temp. of precipitation.

The temp. of rainwater (or ice or snow for that matter, but probably not applicable to this discussion) may be higher or lower than the local ground level ambient air temp. and will be more dependent on the environmental conditions present when and where the water vapor begins to condense to liquid, and also dependent on the environmental conditions the liquid passes through on the way to the ground.

Also, while I've not yet performed an exhaustive search through the history of solar chat forums as you seem to imply you've done, I can't verify or refute your claim that it's not been reported that cold rain destroyed a solar panel, but I'm pretty sure whether or not cold rainwater were to, as you write, destroy a panel, that if such a calamity did occur, clouds were present somewhere in the vicinity of the damage, making me curious about the sense of your "with our (sic) without clouds" statement. Reason for my curiosity: Last I checked and the way I learned it, it takes clouds (water vapor) for precipitation to form. But I'd probably agree that rain water doesn't come from houses, cold or not, and that rainwater doesn't originate in wells.

IMO only, this forum would be better off if you checked the accuracy of what you write before you mouthed off with respect to stuff about which you're ignorant.

BTW, and meant as constructive criticism, your poor grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence construction as you continue to exhibit here doesn't help you to be taken seriously. If someone - you, me, anyone - can't take the time, make the effort and have enough self respect to check their work, how can they expect readers to think they know enough, for example, about the physics and Thermodynamics of the earth's atmosphere to discuss precipitation temperatures and to be taken seriously rather than some semi-literate blowhard ?

If you think I'm simply being argumentative, stay within your knowledge base and know your limitations, and watch the crap storms die away. Do that and your statements will precipitate a lot less of what you call argument, your stuff will need a lot less correction, and this forum will be better for having more accurate, or maybe better said (written) less inaccurate content.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        Well I have been out in a rain storm and the drops were not warm or ambient temperature.
        have you taken a swim in a 55gallon barrel of rain water that is sitting outside (at ambient temps) ready to be pumped onto solar panels to cool them?
        cause that is the ambient water source that normal people would use

maybe you are thinking of doing a rain dance to cool the panels? if that is the case your comments are correct. LOL. it's a joke dont' take it personally.

Actual 15 year old working prototype trumps any theoretical discussion or fears of rainwater damaging the panels. Internet is full of folks who type about what they think. Very few people actual put their ideas into practice. Even fewer look at a 15 year old working system and claim it doesn't work. IT seems as if some are saying: Don't believe what your eyes see. Believe what I tell you.

anyways I'm done talking about this. it was only brought up as a possible research topic that would be better than cleaning,

no one said to use "COLD" water, rain water was the term used and obviously that is stored in a bucket and close to ambient temperature.
        Last edited by khanh dam; 02-25-2021, 09:47 AM.

Comment

have you taken a swim in a 55gallon barrel of rain water that is sitting outside (at ambient temps) ready to be pumped onto solar panels to cool them?
          cause that is the ambient water source that normal people would use

maybe you are thinking of doing a rain dance to cool the panels? if that is the case your comments are correct.

Actual 15 year old working prototype trumps any theoretical discussion or fears of rainwater damaging the panels. Internet is full of folks who type about what they think. Very few people actual put their ideas into practice. Even fewer look at a 15 year old working system and claim it doesn't work. IT seems as if some are saying: Don't believe what your eyes see. Believe what I tell you.

anyways I'm done talking about this. it was only brought up as a possible research topic that would be better than cleaning, but like many things on this forum, it turns into an argument topic.
          And you are asking people to believe what you tell them. Which can lead to someone without true understanding to hurt their system.

I am just trying to warn people that putting water (of any temperature) onto hot panels may cause stresses that can degrade the panel. If they are going to wash the panels then try to not do it when they are very hot.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

And you are asking people to believe what you tell them.
            wrong. i have pointed to real life ambient RAINWATER system and a discussion of the good and bad of the system.

you have consistently argued about using COLD water systems, and act like that is what I said, obviously wrong. anyone can read the discussion and see that.

solar panels are made to be used outside and in the rain. what's next you are going to warn them that UV light can degrade them? sky is not falling, so no need to warn about it.

Comment

wrong. i have pointed to real life ambient RAINWATER system and a discussion of the good and bad of the system.

you have consistently argued about using COLD water systems, and act like that is what I said, obviously wrong. anyone can read the discussion and see that.

solar panels are made to be used outside and in the rain. what's next you are going to warn them that UV light can degrade them? sky is not falling, so no need to warn about it.
              But the sky could be falling if someone that did not follow the rain barrel water instructions perfectly and ended up greatly degrading their panels and investment.

I don't understand why you like to argue with me when I am just trying to point out it is better to be very cautious when it comes to maintaining a solar pv system which most people do not understand and can hurt their financial investment.

And by the way UV light and heat does degrade a solar cell. The amount depends on the type & quality of the cell and the amount of sunlight that hits it. And that info can be found in any research document that studies pv cells. I know because I worked in a research center at the U of D when we were experimenting with Cadmium Sulfide solar cells. First these thin film cells did not produce a high efficiency output or lasted long under high heat so they were abandoned as a solar pv cell go to.

Comment

lol yes i agree UV damages panels.
                It's rhetorical

Comment

awesome glad to see someone who actually cooled thier panels with rain water here on this group

Comment

Working...
                  X