X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reader2580
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2017

I have a wireless access point in my detached garage which is a lot closer than 200 feet. The spot where I want to put my solar I get a full three bars of WI-FI on my phone.

I'll probably just run Ethernet from the house as it makes sense to do that. I just need to figure out how to trench for another conduit. I don't think I would want to lay another conduit next to the conduit for power.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by reader2580
      I have a wireless access point in my detached garage which is a lot closer than 200 feet. The spot where I want to put my solar I get a full three bars of WI-FI on my phone.

I'll probably just run Ethernet from the house as it makes sense to do that. I just need to figure out how to trench for another conduit. I don't think I would want to lay another conduit next to the conduit for power.
      You can just run direct burial Cat 5E cable, a few inches down. No need for conduit, you
      could need a switch at ends serving as signal regenerator. That is in place here. My plan
      is to run another Cat 5E in the same trench as the new power cable (2 feet deep) but much
      closer to the surface. The Cat 5E is shielded and twisted pairs, and runs at an entirely
      different frequency range than the power, so I am not expecting any interference (unless I
      am welding). I would expect no issues if the power conduit is metal. Bruce Roe

Comment

• theoak
        • Jul 2020

1st post!

Is there a trick to get this to work? I have 4.9.33 and the only WiFi option I have is for a SolarEdge gateway. I have a SE10k inverter - SetApp based obviously. No screen.

Edit:

A bit more background. I have the cell card installed with the antenna. I have tried swapping the cell antenna to the antenna port on the communication board - no joy. I have an antenna from an old home WiFi router that fit perfect and keep on the communication board antenna port. I close up the inverter and leave the antenna in there. SetApp connections are much faster and reliable. Network cable to powerline or WiFi client also works great. I currently have it connected via ethernet to a small WiFi client versus cell. I prefer the real time import/export updates; I do have a SolarEdge's energy meter installed giving me import/export. I have another use for my WiFi client and hence if I can get WiFi to work with the inverter, that would be awesome. Obviously living in the US - North West area (WA, ID, ORE). Country code set to USA 240V on the inverter.
        Last edited by theoak; 07-17-2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• reader2580
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bcroe

You can just run direct burial Cat 5E cable, a few inches down. No need for conduit, you
          could need a switch at ends serving as signal regenerator. That is in place here. My plan
          is to run another Cat 5E in the same trench as the new power cable (2 feet deep) but much
          closer to the surface. The Cat 5E is shielded and twisted pairs, and runs at an entirely
          different frequency range than the power, so I am not expecting any interference (unless I
          am welding). I would expect no issues if the power conduit is metal. Bruce Roe
          I want to use conduit to make it less likely animals like gophers or moles will chew up the cable.

The electrician who did my current solar setup told me about a client who did direct bury aluminum for the AC power to his array and gophers and/or moles chewed through the cable in at least six spots. They ended up doing direct boring with some sort of armored cable. He said the direct boring cost less than putting in conduit when labor is included.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by reader2580

I want to use conduit to make it less likely animals like gophers or moles will chew up the cable.

The electrician who did my current solar setup told me about a client who did direct bury aluminum for the AC power to his array and gophers and/or moles chewed through the cable in at least six spots. They ended up doing direct boring with some sort of armored cable. He said the direct boring cost less than putting in conduit when labor is included.
            Certainly adapt to local conditions. I have cable from above the ground, a couple inches below,
            to 2 feet deep, bare or in plastic or metal conduit. So far nothing has gotten eaten. Keeping the
            deer from eating every plant in sight has been a problem, but an electrified fence stops them.
            Bruce Roe

Comment

• blueman2
              • Sep 2019

Some people have asked for screen shots showing how to enable WiFi in new US firmware for SetApp enabled inverters:

1. select Monitoring Communication
              2. Select 'Change Connection Type'
              3. Select "WiFi" and set up the correct details.

Screenshot_20200727-202428_SetApp.jpg​​ Screenshot_20200727-202456_SetApp.jpgScreenshot_20200727-202509_SetApp.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

• theoak
                • Jul 2020

Well, you must be super special and I envy you. Included screen shots document what my options are after selecting monitoring comunications:

1. Select Change Connection Type
                2. With the Popup select Yes
                3. Select Wi-Fi
                4. ... followed by Done
                5. Select Configure Wi-Fi

As you can see in the final shot, I only have one option using SolarEdge's gateway.

image_13877.pngimage_13878.pngimage_13879.pngimage_13880.pngimage_13881.png
                Last edited by theoak; 07-29-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• blueman2
                  • Sep 2019

@theoak,

MY BAD!!!!! It turns out that I was still using Ethernet and not wifi. I just turned on the wifi and closed the app, assuming it had worked. But when I try to repeat my steps, I get the same result as you. Either they changed the firmware somewhere in between (I know the 2 DSPs got an update about a week ago separately from the CPU firmware) or, more likely, it was pilot error on my part. I had read in a German language forum that this release had finally turned on WiFi for US markets (Solaredge rep reported this), so just assumed it was on now.

My error. Sorry.

Comment

• theoak
                    • Jul 2020

Phew ... otherwise I was trying to figure out how I could figure out where you live and swap inverters without you knowing

Comment

• PugPower
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Oct 2019

So as of today there is NO built-in wi-fi option for US Solaredge Inverters? I'm confused.

Also, I updated my firmware, but the 2 DSP's did not update. On the SolarEdge firmware page it states that these DSP updates are optional for existing installations and can be updated manually. How does one do the update?
                      Last edited by PugPower; 07-29-2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• theoak
                        • Jul 2020

It does not appear to be the case. You can try following the steps I followed if you have a SetApp based inverter. I am not sure if the older inverters had and/or allowed wifi.

Comment

• Ampster
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2017

Is my understanding correct that the new inverters without screens have WiFi enabled for just the SetApp setup and do not work on a network? I am referring to the USA.
                          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• PugPower
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Oct 2019

So basically this whole thread is meaningless and wi-fi monitoring is NOT and never was enabled for SetApp inverters in USA.
                            Thanks blueman2

Comment

• blueman2
                              • Sep 2019

Originally posted by PugPower
                              So basically this whole thread is meaningless and wi-fi monitoring is NOT and never was enabled for SetApp inverters in USA.
                              Thanks blueman2
                              <embarrassed>

I jumped the gun, and then shot myself in the foot with it.

</embarrassed>

Comment

• Mike90250
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by blueman2

<embarrassed>

I jumped the gun, and then shot myself in the foot with it.

</embarrassed>
                                when it was apparent that WiFi was not happening, I updated the thread title to prevent pitchfork & torch mobs from demanding to know how you did it

ParchedDisastrousFireant-small.gif
                                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...