X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RShackleford
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2019

Originally posted by solar_future
    Already, Chinese battery makers have come up with car batteries which last one million miles, which means that stationary storage will have a much longer life too. The Chinese and to lesser extent, the Americans and Europeans are investing heavily in battery technology.
    Also, as there are more and more EVs, and their batteries need replacement, the old ones can be re-purposed as stationary storage. Of course, if these 10^6-mile batteries become a reality, there won't be that many old car batteries. Another side effect might be that cars last a lot longer - to the extent failure of ICE engines drives mortality - which has a positive energy impact as well.

A positive trend for the utility companies will be the increasing adoption of electric vehicles which will greatly increase demand for electricity.
    And by incentivizing people to charge overnight (as my POCO does at <$0.03/kwh) electrical demand is smoothed out, also good for the POCO and the environment.

Comment

• solar_future
      • May 2015

Originally posted by RShackleford
      Also, as there are more and more EVs, and their batteries need replacement, the old ones can be re-purposed as stationary storage. Of course, if these 10^6-mile batteries become a reality, there won't be that many old car batteries. Another side effect might be that cars last a lot longer - to the extent failure of ICE engines drives mortality - which has a positive energy impact as well.

And by incentivizing people to charge overnight (as my POCO does at <$0.03/kwh) electrical demand is smoothed out, also good for the POCO and the environment.

I'm very jealous you have an EV and that you charge it at $.03/kwh. Owning a gasoline powered car is expensive to operate and it is time consuming to get your oil changed and have other maintenance done. The next car I buy will be an EV.

Comment

• RShackleford
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2019

I'm very jealous you have an EV and that you charge it at $.03/kwh.
        Crazy, ain't it ? I've never heard of any other place else where that can be done. I guess electricity is kinda cheap here (central NC) but not crazy - $0.11/kwh is the standard rate, although to qualify for the EV rate, in addition to proving you own an EV, you have to sign up for a TOD rate for which the charge is $0.30+/kwh during peak (summer weekday afternoons and winter weekday mornings), but it's only $0.06/kwh the rest of the time.

Owning a gasoline powered car is expensive to operate and it is time consuming to get your oil changed and have other maintenance done. The next car I buy will be an EV.
        Yep, another amazing thing about EV is no maintenance to speak of - until the biggie when the battery needs replacing.
        Last edited by RShackleford; 07-20-2020, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• solar_future
          • May 2015

Crazy, ain't it ? I've never heard of any place else where that can be done. I guess electricity is kinda cheap here (central NC) but not crazy - $0.11/kwh is the standard rate, although to qualify for the EV rate, in addition to proving you own an EV, you have to sign up for a TOD rate for which the charge is $0.30+/kwh during peak (summer weekday afternoons and winter weekday mornings), but it's only $0.06/kwh the rest of the time.

Yep, another amazing thing about EV is no maintenance to speak of - until the biggie when the battery needs replacing.
          Some of the EV motors will last one million miles and with new batteries which last one million miles, you will have cars which will last you a lifetime. If you drive 15000 miles a year, your car would last you 66 years.

Comment

• reader2580
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2017

Some of the EV motors will last one million miles and with new batteries which last one million miles, you will have cars which will last you a lifetime. If you drive 15000 miles a year, your car would last you 66 years.
            They would need to build a car out of 316 stainless to make it last a million miles in the rust belt.

Comment

• reader2580
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2017

My electric car charging incentives are not nearly as good. 7 cents per KWh between 8 pm and 8 am, but then 45 cents per KWh between 4 pm and 8 pm. It is generally intended that either the garage or just the electric car charger run through the separate meter for this service.

My co-worker was stupid and signed up for this service for his entire house. He had three fairly young kids at the time and wouldn't use the A/C during this time and restricted all power usage during the peak period.

Comment

• solar_future
                • May 2015

Originally posted by reader2580

They would need to build a car out of 316 stainless to make it last a million miles in the rust belt.
                Tesla is building their cyber truck out of the same stainless steel that is used in SpaceX's starship.

Comment

• RShackleford
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2019

Tesla is building their cyber truck out of the same stainless steel that is used in SpaceX's starship.
                  I don't know if that's any special stainless steel, but weren't DeLoreans (sp?) built of stainless steel ?

Comment

• RShackleford
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2019

My electric car charging incentives are not nearly as good. 7 cents per KWh between 8 pm and 8 am, but then 45 cents per KWh between 4 pm and 8 pm. It is generally intended that either the garage or just the electric car charger run through the separate meter for this service.
                    To have a second service here is $35/month connection fee.

Comment

• solar_future
                      • May 2015

I don't know if that's any special stainless steel, but weren't DeLoreans (sp?) built of stainless steel ?
                      Delorians were made out of stainless steel and there are different variations of stainless steel.

Comment

• RShackleford
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2019

Delorians were made out of stainless steel and there are different variations of stainless steel.
                        Stainless steel was discovered by accident (sort of) and they didn't realize what they had at first.

Comment

• reader2580
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2017

To have a second service here is $35/month connection fee.
                          The utility isn't charging a monthly fee for this. You simply have to have a second meter socket for the car charging circuit. The utility apparently is able to subtract the usage of the second meter from the first meter.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Do you really believe that a car can last 1 million miles because the manufacturer says so. Lets live in the real world and if you can get 300,000 out of a vehicle of any type you are doing good. Based on history an American built car may last only 100,000 at best.

Comment

• reader2580
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

Do you really believe that a car can last 1 million miles because the manufacturer says so. Lets live in the real world and if you can get 300,000 out of a vehicle of any type you are doing good. Based on history an American built car may last only 100,000 at best.
                              I don't know what kind of American built car you are driving that only lasts 100,000 miles. My parents have only driven American built cars and the last few went well over 100,000 miles.

Comment

• solar_future
                                • May 2015

I don't know what kind of American built car you are driving that only lasts 100,000 miles. My parents have only driven American built cars and the last few went well over 100,000 miles.
                                An electric motor is much simpler and has fewer parts and, hence, is easier to make last longer. Also, an EV has fewer parts which means there are few points of failure.

Comment

Working...