X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve C
    • Jul 2015

Panel Removal for reroof

I thought there was a topic search available on this forum. But I can’t seem to find it. That said, I am looking to remove and replace my existing 22 panel system in order to reroof my home. I discussed this with the installer when I got the install quote, but mistakenly failed to insist it be included in the final bid. Suggestions on fair cost? The array is two rows of 11 panels with micro inverters on a very minimally, single story, pitched roof. The roofing contractor asks that the system be removed down to the posts which he can work around. On the sidenote, my understanding is panels with micro inverters are pretty much “plug and play “. If this job is not requiring technical skill, I don’t think i’d mind getting up on the roof and doing it myself. Im told the panels weigh approx 40lbs. Thanks in advance for any input.
  • Steve C
    • Jul 2015

Crap, now i find the “search” option. My apologies for question that has probably been asked numerous times

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

1.) I've no experience or knowledge on cost of removal/reinstall of a PV system on a roof, but know that if you DIY it you'll most likely void any warranty you may have.
      If someone says "no problem - DIY doesn't void warranty ", get it in writing from whoever you'd make a warranty claim to.

2.) If you contract it out which is, IMO only, probably the safer way to go, my SWAG is it won't be cheap. Solar installers reading your post most likely have a much better feel for cost than I might guess.

3.) In any case, I'd also think the all round best way to go would be to have the original installer to the PV removal/reinstall. I'd respectfully suggest you just don't leave them with the opinion that you think you have no choices on who does the work - prices go up more easily if they think you think they are the only option to doing the work.

4.) While you're having the PV work quoted - and I would get a few quotes, I'd make sure that both the roofer and PV contractor know you expect each one to stay out of the other's way and that, for example, the roofer doesn't touch, or need to move any stacked panels or that the PV contractor doesn't damage the new roof deck in any way during reinstall of the panels .

3.) FWIW, be prepared to act as your own project manager/coordinator. Don't expect either contractor to either look out for your best interests or the other contractor's foulups/shortcuts. I'd sit on the roof, out of the way with my mouth shut while any work of any sort was being done and take a lot of pictures. I did that w/my install on a concrete tile roof that included repapering and some other roof remediation. I'm glad I did.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Oops now you get to learn a very expensive lesson. You were told to put a new roof on before panels, now you will learn the ole fashion way, loosing money. You just thought solar was going to save you money.

It was inexpensive to put them up. Going to be real expensive to remove them and reinstall them again. Hope you have some spares because some panels will not survive being moved and reinstalled. Enjoy and learn.
        Last edited by Sunking; 05-22-2020, 12:49 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Steve C
          Crap, now i find the “search” option. My apologies for question that has probably been asked numerous times
          Not enough, and usually too late.

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

I thought there was a topic search available on this forum. But I can’t seem to find it. That said, I am looking to remove and replace my existing 22 panel system in order to reroof my home. I discussed this with the installer when I got the install quote, but mistakenly failed to insist it be included in the final bid. Suggestions on fair cost? The array is two rows of 11 panels with micro inverters on a very minimally, single story, pitched roof. The roofing contractor asks that the system be removed down to the posts which he can work around. On the sidenote, my understanding is panels with micro inverters are pretty much “plug and play “. If this job is not requiring technical skill, I don’t think i’d mind getting up on the roof and doing it myself. Im told the panels weigh approx 40lbs. Thanks in advance for any input.
            It does reguire technical skills and the right tools. I have hired skilled people to do it and semi skilled people to do it with close supervision. I paid a skilled contractor $0.50 per Watt for remove 4kW of panels from one roof and install them on another roof 1/4 mile away. The least expensive option would be if the roofer would allow you to stage them on another section of roof so you save labor up and down ladders. Panels do not stack well on pitched roofs so you need roof jacks or lots of area. .
            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• solarix
              Super Moderator
              • Apr 2015

FWIW, we charge $75/panel to R&R an array we installed, and $100/panel for those we did not originally install. This may seem inexpensive compared to what people pay for original installation, but we actually find R&Rs to be good business as there is no permitting hassle involved (with some exceptions), we can do them quickly, and we enjoy correcting the many, many screwed up installs out there... You wouldn't believe how many times we have found miswired arrays. Half the panels not hooked up, different size strings wired in parallel, burned wiring and connectors, etc....
              BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solarix
                FWIW, we charge $75/panel to R&R an array we installed, and $100/panel for those we did not originally install. This may seem inexpensive compared to what people pay for original installation, but we actually find R&Rs to be good business as there is no permitting hassle involved (with some exceptions), we can do them quickly, and we enjoy correcting the many, many screwed up installs out there... You wouldn't believe how many times we have found miswired arrays. Half the panels not hooked up, different size strings wired in parallel, burned wiring and connectors, etc....
                Thank you. More good information you won't find most anywhere else and an example of rare candor.

Somewhat but not entirely anecdotal, after watching ~ 130 + arrays go into my HOA from contract signing to startup, I've got no trouble believing what you just wrote.

I might add that the better and more established local electrical contractors/installers around here seem to do a better/cleaner/more thorough job on installs than the bottom feeders like Tesla/SolarCity, Sunrun and Vivant.

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by solarix
                  FWIW, we charge $75/panel to R&R an array we installed, and $100/panel for those we did not originally install. .......
                  That is a good rate from my experience.

Comment

• Steve C
                    • Jul 2015

Hey guys, Thanks for the feedback. @Sunking...my roof had a minimum of 5 years before needing said reroof. Timing wise, I was able to get in just before NEM 1.0 ended with PG&E. Also was the concern of possibly missing out of the 30% tax credit. I tried to consider all factors when making that purchase. But obviously failed to include an R/R of the panels in the original contract. So, yes it may be a bit of a lesson, but not one that justifies your snide remark. By the way, it’s “L O S I N G”, not “L O O S I N G”. Of course, inability to spell is free. So you have me there. How’s that for an observation!

Comment

• nwdiver
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Mar 2019

Hey guys, Thanks for the feedback. @Sunking...my roof had a minimum of 5 years before needing said reroof. Timing wise, I was able to get in just before NEM 1.0 ended with PG&E. Also was the concern of possibly missing out of the 30% tax credit. I tried to consider all factors when making that purchase. But obviously failed to include an R/R of the panels in the original contract. So, yes it may be a bit of a lesson, but not one that justifies your snide remark. By the way, it’s “L O S I N G”, not “L O O S I N G”. Of course, inability to spell is free. So you have me there. How’s that for an observation!
                      Any updates? We recently removed and re-installed a 9.6kW system for ~$9k but there were no micro-inverters to worry about. We also had to replace all the feet because a lot of the nuts couldn't be removed.

Comment

• Spektre
                        • May 2015

Charging $/watt is a ridiculous metric to calculate cost for this task. It's like telling someone that they'll have to pay more money because their car has more horsepower to get the same tires rotated as a car with less horsepower.

As usual, Solarix gets it right and shows us why he's still in business.

Comment

• nwdiver
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Spektre
                          Charging $/watt is a ridiculous metric to calculate cost for this task. It's like telling someone that they'll have to pay more money because their car has more horsepower to get the same tires rotated as a car with less horsepower.

As usual, Solarix gets it right and shows us why he's still in business.
                          We didn't charge per watt but obviously removing and reinstalling 26 panels (9.6kW) is going to be more expensive than 10 panels....

Comment

• Ampster
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Spektre
                            Charging $/watt is a ridiculous metric to calculate cost for this task. ......
                            Price per panel or price per Watt are both piece work prices. Knowing the panel size one can easily calculate the price for the other unit of measure. I don't know why that makes one ridiculous versus the other.
                            Last edited by Ampster; 07-15-2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• reader2580
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Ampster
                              Price per panel or price per Watt are both piece work prices. Knowing the panel size one can easily calculate the price for the other unit of measure. I don't know why that makes one ridiculous versus the other.
                              Does a newer 345 watt module take more time to remove than an old 190 watt module? By the watt a 345 watt module would cost over 50% more to remove than the 190 watt module.

Comment

Working...