X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LG Neon R or Solaria PowerXT

I found an installer I like and my last decision is what panels to use. They are offering a 5.25kw system with LG 375w Neon R panels for $14150 or a 5.40kw system with Solaria 360 powerXT panels for $13650. Both will be using enphase iq7+ microinverters. I know the LG panels have a better temperature coefficient (-0.3% for LG vs -0.39 for solaria) as well as degradation (0.3% per year for lg vs 0.5% for solaria). I am not sure if any of that really matters in the real world.

I am located in southern california but near the beach so temps rairly get past the 80s. I have no shading issues and looks really arent a problem as the panels will be in the back of the house where cant see them. If the more reputable LG panels worth the $500 price difference. After federal rebates it really is inly $350 difference.

It appears that the Solaria system is more power for less money. That would sway me to the Solaria system.

If you believe all of the numbers, you'll get 2.8% more power initially from the Solaria system. Again, if you believe all of the numbers, the Solaria panels will degrade a bit faster and match the LG panels after 14 years. During those first 14 years, you're getting more from Solaria and that extra production is like money in the bank earning interest.

Different makers test in different labs. They claim to use the same standards and try to be honest. Their measurement of temperature coefficient is probably good, but it's hard to put too much weight on anyone's ability to predict 14 years into the future with a few day, weeks or months of measurements. A tiny measurement error could have a tremendous effect on the outcome far into the future.

I can't promise anything, but both are established makers. Both have 25 year warranties. Both use cells from Korea. Support will be more a function of your installer than the manufacturer. You probably won't go wrong with either.

All of this is my opinion.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

On a $/STC W basis the Solaria paneled system is a little more than 6 % less expensive than the LG system. ($2.53 /STC W vs. $2.70/STC W). Chances are either system will produce ~ = output for as long as you'll own it. If either outfit's claims about degradation as f(temp., time) are to be believed and depending on the application, the LG panels may produce more electrical energy per STC W over time. Whether or not that differential will be cost effective and so worth doing is also dependent on the application and an unknown future.

And, all those considerations are made somewhat academic if, and depending on how much the system is oversized.

The idea of performance decline is also somewhat academic as such things are, in any practical way, impossible to quantify in most any residential application, and sort of dependent for their importance in decision making on how much the mfg's. claims are to be believed.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Sounds like they are bith good panels and more or less similar in long term performance. I think i will go with the solaria panels. That and the all black does look better.

Comment

I have LG Neon2 panels and they perform better than expected and I am not familiar with Solaria, but based solely on the info you provided I would go with Solaria for $2.53 per kw vs $2.70 per kw with LG. With the the Solaria system you're getting a slightly larger system with more output for less money. Win win. $2.53 per kw seems like a great deal. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X