X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Castiron
    • May 2020

Florida Administrative Code general liability insurance requirement

Tier 2: (Generating Facilities ˃ 10 kW and ≤ 100 kW Alternating Current) – Per the Florida Administrative Code: “A requirement for general liability insurance for personal and property damage, or sufficient guarantee and proof of self-insurance, in the amount of no more than $1 million for Tier 2.”

My insurance agent says Allstate will not raise my liability policy to $1 million, I have 300k.

Anyone in FL with over a 10kw system dealt with this?

Thanks
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Part of the reason most residential installs are under 10kw
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

The PUC and most of the POCO's do not like to compete with other Co-Generators so they have insisted on a liability insurance policy that is un-affordably or unattainable for most home owners.

It sucks but something over 10kw puts you into a commercial system area which has different rules and regulations.

Comment

• facke02
        • Sep 2019

Get a $1 mil Umbrella Ins Policy. I have friends in Orlando that do that. I installed a 11.7 kW system which is the max tier 1 but I have an Umbrella policy too.

Comment

• bob-n
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2019

This website says that a $1M Umbrella policy will cost an average person $150 to $300 per year. Actual cost may be more or less in your specific situation.

That much money may be insignificant for a 100kW system but perhaps significant for a 10kW system. It's up to you to decide whether solar is worth that extra operating cost.

If it were me, I'd aim for 9.9kW.
          7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• facke02
            • Sep 2019

I had my Umbrella policy prior to installing solar, two teenage boys driving... Florida's 10 kW tier 1 limit is AC based which equates to 11.7 kW DC (there about) solar system.

Comment

• Castiron
              • May 2020

Ya, my agent was saying the only thing they could do would be the 1m umbrella, but I will also have to insure any recreational vehicles (atv's boats). Also they would have to carry my auto coverage which is with someone else.
              Definitely looks like I will need to stay under 11.7k

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle
                The PUC and most of the POCO's do not like to compete with other Co-Generators so they have insisted on a liability insurance policy that is un-affordably or unattainable for most home owners.
                As @bob-n mentioned the umbrella may be as inexpensive as $150 a year. If I could put a larger system in that would save me $250 a year I would go for it. I actually have an umbrella because with an auto limit of $500,000 if some one sued me for $800,000 my insurer could settle the claim, pay the $500,000 and leave me holding the bag for $300,000. With an umbrella I sleep better. Some people already have them like @facke02 so I do not think it is a power company conspiracy.
                Last edited by Ampster; 05-19-2020, 12:25 AM.
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
                  As @bob-n mentioned the umbrella may be as inexpensive as $150 a year. If I could put a larger system in that would save me $250 a year I would go for it. I actually have an umbrella because with an auto limit of $500,000 if some one sued me for $800,000 my insurer could settle the claim, pay the $500,000 and leave me holding the bag for $300,000. With an umbrella I sleep better. Some people already have them like @facke02 so I do not think it is a power company conspiracy.
                  I had an umbrella years ago. It did not end well but that is another story.

As for why a POCO would ask for an insurance policy? There are a number of reasons but making it expensive to become a "co-generator" has been one of the ways they keep people from installing a large pv array.

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

I am sorry you had a bad experience with an umbrella. Unless you share it with lessons learned, others will not benefit and you are just putting out FUD.
                    I agree with your comment about the power companies. It is probably one way they subconsciously slowed the growth of solar. Most large companies self insure up to large stop loss policies. Their risk management people probably came up with that idea. The execs endorsed it because as you suggest, even though they could not say it, in the back of their mind it was another hurdle to slow load departure from their system. They were right, because most people are under unsured and don't understand insurance enough to find an inexpensive workaround.

I have cars, a home and rentals and it is easier to have one broker so I can have a more comprehensive risk management (insurance) strategy. You can bet when i had a boat I had liability insurance or made sure my liability was covered under my homeowners policy. I realize not everyone stands where I do, but for those that do this may be helpful.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
                      I am sorry you had a bad experience with an umbrella. Unless you share it with lessons learned, others will not benefit and you are just putting out FUD.
                      I agree with your comment about the power companies. It is probably one way they subconsciously slowed the growth of solar. Most large companies self insure up to large stop loss policies. Their risk management people probably came up with that idea. The execs endorsed it because as you suggest, even though they could not say it, in the back of their mind it was another hurdle to slow load departure from their system. They were right, because most people are under unsured and don't understand insurance enough to find an inexpensive workaround.

I have cars, a home and rentals and it is easier to have one broker so I can have a more comprehensive risk management (insurance) strategy. You can bet when i had a boat I had liability insurance or made sure my liability was covered under my homeowners policy. I realize not everyone stands where I do, but for those that do this may be helpful.
                      Well my first wife was diabetic. She passed out while driving and hit someone head on. Even though she was diabetic the opposition found that she was at fault. They then went to claim the $1million umbrella policy. They ended up settling out of court but I learned that people sue for all reasons and always go for the deep pockets. If they find you have an umbrella then you are fare game should someone sue you.

My hope is that no one else goes through a similar situation.

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

Well my first wife was diabetic. She passed out while driving and hit someone head on. Even though she was diabetic the opposition found that she was at fault. They then went to claim the $1million umbrella policy. They ended up settling out of court but I learned that people sue for all reasons and always go for the deep pockets. If they find you have an umbrella then you are fare game should someone sue you.

My hope is that no one else goes through a similar situation.
                        I am sorry to hear that. The way I understand the court system, and you said it, people sue for all reasons. It may have seemed to you that they went to claim the umbrella, but some lawyers sue for big amounts anyway and that is why i carry an umbrella. I guess it depends is how you look at it. Either way they would have sued you or made a claim.

Comment

Working...