X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable glands?

Cable glands - those clamps that screw into an outdoor enclosure and allow wire to come into the box without allowing in water.

What is conventional wisdom or experience with these things? Are premium ones better than cheap ones? Which ones are better? Do they need periodic maintenance or can they seal untouched for >10+ years?

I read on one manufacturer's website where they said that their glands should be inspected and resealed periodically. Odd.

I've seen so many different ones, and assume that each has a benefit and purpose. But to me, they're all the same. ???

Thank you for your perspective.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

I'd always strive to place them at the bottom of the box, because I'd never trust them at the top, they just seem leaky.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Check with the Mfg. website and see if you can find a UL rating on them. Not sure if those things are rated but if some are that might be an indicator of quality/durability.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

I just look for price. As @Mike90250 mentioned, in outdoor installations it is always better to place them at the bottom of a junction box with a good drip loop to reduce the chance of water intrusion. Gravity is your friend when it comes to water.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Don't get hung up on making an electrical enclosure absolutely waterproof. I've seen well sealed j-boxes half full of water. Condensation will over time do amazing things. Better to as Ampster says make gravity your friend. Try to keep the water out - but also make a way for the water to leave. A weep hole is a simple solution. About 3/16" dia works well. Big enough to not plug up, but small enough to bugs out. We just put our J-boxes under the array and use strain reliefs to protect the wiring with a weep hole at the lowest point in the box.
          Last edited by solarix; 04-11-2020, 12:00 PM.
          BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...
          X