X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crashintoty View Post

I'm really confused about the doubt others have demonstrated here - is it based on theory or actual experience with projects of this size in this region? ......
    I don't have the history but it goes back a long way. There is a little of that on most forums. Look at it from the positive side, it is good practice for your next life. Or in my case it makes my 86 year old sister seem like a Polly Anna in comparison.
    Last edited by Ampster; 03-17-2020, 12:27 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

......... I've come across a couple of northwesterners/Seattlites online whom shared their data and experience with solar in the northwest and it seems it is indeed worth it especially with 22 or more panels. I also just spoke to my neighbor, they installed 24 panels years ago, says solar shaves 70% off their bill and don't start paying a bill until December (because of the net metering credits that build up throughout the year). Coming into this project I would be happy with half that performance considering how cloudy this region is and how much forum users say we can't harvest much.
      That is good information to start a hypothesis. What can you find out about those other systems that will allow you to test a hypothesis about the economics of solar in Seattle?
      Are they grid tied, battery or a combination? What made one of them shave 70% off his bill? Batteries or 24 well placed panels with no shade on a grid tie inverter? Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of using batteries but my economics and insolation are different than yours. If I were in your shoes I would explore every opportunity to find unshaded places to put panels as my first priority. Once I had a system and the data or the estimates of what kind of annual generation that would produce, then I would figure out what to do with that energy. The key is finding out if you can generate enough energy.. Is there some unknown constraint that has led you to the conclusion that batteries offer better economics than starting with a grid tie system? You can always add batteries later, but if you can't find enough PV generation to even cover your daytime usage then batteries aren't going to do anything for your even if you can get the cost of batteries down to $5 per kWhr.

I just saw on another thread where a guy at latitude 50 was looking for some advice. A respected member suggested vertically mounted panels to capture more winter sun. I have tried to ask a few times about your site to give you some hints to go outside the box. Your wife did that when she asked about the north side of your roof.I still think that has some possibilities. On the other thread I asked about your driveway and what I assumed was your two story house facing south. Could you mount some panels verticall on that south wall? Perhaps it is shaded by your neighbors house? Apparently you have access to some inexpensive panels so it is not the cost of panels that is the constraint.
      Last edited by Ampster; 03-17-2020, 10:39 PM.

Comment

I'm really confused about the doubt others have demonstrated here .......
        We haven't heard from you in a while and hope everything is okay with you and your family in the Northwest. I hope you don't get discouraged by some of the negativity some have expressed. I think there are some outside the box opportunities that could be explored. Your project is one that could provide valuable insight to other readers whichever way you decide to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
          We haven't heard from you in a while and hope everything is okay with you and your family in the Northwest. I hope you don't get discouraged by some of the negativity some have expressed. I think there are some outside the box opportunities that could be explored. Your project is one that could provide valuable insight to other readers whichever way you decide to go.
          Thanks! Yes, everything is okay, I just forgot to check back here - I think the pandemic distracted me and I got into other tinkering projects. Any hoo, I've made no progress on this project since my last post - the panels and inverter have been sitting in my garage for over 2 years now. I think putting panels on the north side of the garage roof is not worth the output I'd get. I'm going to put the 6 that can fit on the south facing side of the roof if I get the urge to play with solar again or just wait to put all 12 on the main house roof since it's bigger (and but more panels too).

Thanks for the help on this question!

Comment

Working...
          X