X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kk07
    • Jun 2019

MA SMART Net Metering Credits

Hi,

For grid-tied solar folks in the state of MA (US), I need help please. I am with National Grid.

I am trying to look for information related to how MA SMART program calculates the net metering credits. f I am a net exporter, can you tell me how the Net Metering Credits will be calculated. I looked this pdf, section 220 CMR 18.04, but I am not understanding totally, especially #1 below. It says:

(a) 100% of the net excess kilowatt-hours, by time-of-use, if applicable, multiplied by the sum of the following Distribution Company charges applicable to the rate class under which the Host Customer takes service:
    1. basic service kilowatt-hour charge in the ISO-NE load zone where the Host Customer is located;
    2. distribution kilowatt-hour charge;
    3. transmission kilowatt-hour charge; and
    4. transition kilowatt-hour charge;

What is #1 and how do I find out how much it is? In my latest bill, I can see the amount for #2-4.

TIA!
  • soby
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2019

You are mistaking net metering with SMART credits. SMART has nothing to do with net metering and everything to do with how many kWH your panels generate (as measured by the SMART meter). The only way net metering is factored is in a "Value of Energy" reduction in the compensation rate calculation.

I can't remember where I found this spreadsheet but I used this to predict my credits. I haven't been able to verify these numbers yet but my system should be SMART enabled within the next few weeks so stay tuned.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31r1hs3vh9...ator.xlsx?dl=0
    Last edited by soby; 03-02-2020, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• kk07
      • Jun 2019

Thanks for the link! Yes, I am only talking about the net metering credits (not the SMART credits). I know that National grid will send me checks/direct-deposits for the SMART credits only. The net metering credits stay as energy credits in my account. I want to know how to compute those net metering credits.

So from that calculator, which number correspond to "basic service kwh charge in the ISO-NE zone" (#1)? Is that "Value of energy" or "base compensation rate"? I think that I need to combine 4 numbers. I know the values for #2, #3, and #4.

Comment

• soby
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by kk07
        Thanks for the link! Yes, I am only talking about the net metering credits (not the SMART credits). I know that National grid will send me checks/direct-deposits for the SMART credits only. The net metering credits stay as energy credits in my account. I want to know how to compute those net metering credits.

So from that calculator, which number correspond to "basic service kwh charge in the ISO-NE zone" (#1)? Is that "Value of energy" or "base compensation rate"? I think that I need to combine 4 numbers. I know the values for #2, #3, and #4.
        My mistake. That calculator is intended to determine SMART credits but it seems like net-metering excess is calculated the same way. And since the "3- Year Basic Service Average" will fluctuate, the "Value of Energy" will fluctuate over time. At the time of its creation, that calculator indicates $0.19905/kWh.

HOWEVER, you are referencing the wrong section (unless you are a "Cap Exempt Facility"). The applicable section for homeowners would be (3) and for this case they only give you 60% of the calculation you mention (so only $0.11943/kWh). They are essentially discounting the net excess you generate by reducing the payment 40%. They don't want you to profit from excess generation.

Those jerks.

Comment

• kk07
          • Jun 2019

Man that's not good. I thought I belong to #1 group but as a homeowner with a few panels on the roof, I m not definitely a cap exempt facility. But I m still not Crystal clear on if i belong to #3 group. Here are the definition of each group from that document. I am in class 1 for sure because my system produces less than 50 kwh.
          ​​
          "Class I Net Metering Facility. A plant or equipment that is used to produce, manufacture, or otherwise generate electricity, that has a design capacity of 60 kilowatts or less, and that is not a Small Hydroelectric Net Metering Facility participating in the Small Hydroelectric Net Metering Program"

I am not sure which Class 1 I am. But you are telling me that I am in (3) from the description below for class 1 (1) and class 1 (3). To me the only difference is the term "new solar net meter facility". Else they sounds the same to me.

(1) For a Class I Net Metering Facility that is a Wind Net Metering Facility, Class I Net Metering Facility that is a Solar Net Metering Facility, Class I Net Metering Facility that is an Agricultural Net Metering Facility, Class I Net Metering Facility that is an Anaerobic Digestion Net Metering Facility, Class II Net Metering Facility,
          a Net Metering Facility of a Municipality or Other Governmental Entity, or a Solar Net Metering Facility that receives approval by Department order, except those Solar Net Metering Facilities governed by 220 CMR 18.04(3) and (4), each Distribution
          Company shall calculate for each Billing Period a Net Metering Credit equal to"

(3) For a Class I Net Metering Facility that is a New Solar Net Metering Facility, Class II Net Metering Facility that is a New Solar Net Metering Facility, or Class III Net Metering Facility that is a New Solar Net Metering Facility, except for those
          Solar Net Metering Facilities governed by 220 CMR 18.04(4), each Distribution Company shall calculate for each Billing Period a Market Net Metering Credit equal to 60% of the net excess kilowatt-hours, by time-of-use, if applicable, multiplied by
          the sum of the Distribution Company’s:"

60% only!?!

Comment

• soby
            Solar Fanatic
            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by kk07
            Man that's not good. I thought I belong to #1 group but as a homeowner with a few panels on the roof, I m not definitely a cap exempt facility. But I m still not Crystal clear on if i belong to #3 group. Here are the definition of each group from that document. I am in class 1 for sure because my system produces less than 50 kwh.
            ​​
            "Class I Net Metering Facility. A plant or equipment that is used to produce, manufacture, or otherwise generate electricity, that has a design capacity of 60 kilowatts or less, and that is not a Small Hydroelectric Net Metering Facility participating in the Small Hydroelectric Net Metering Program"

I am not sure which Class 1 I am. But you are telling me that I am in (3) from the description below for class 1 (1) and class 1 (3). To me the only difference is the term "new solar net meter facility". Else they sounds the same to me.

(1) For a Class I Net Metering Facility that is a Wind Net Metering Facility, Class I Net Metering Facility that is a Solar Net Metering Facility, Class I Net Metering Facility that is an Agricultural Net Metering Facility, Class I Net Metering Facility that is an Anaerobic Digestion Net Metering Facility, Class II Net Metering Facility,
            a Net Metering Facility of a Municipality or Other Governmental Entity, or a Solar Net Metering Facility that receives approval by Department order, except those Solar Net Metering Facilities governed by 220 CMR 18.04(3) and (4), each Distribution
            Company shall calculate for each Billing Period a Net Metering Credit equal to"

(3) For a Class I Net Metering Facility that is a New Solar Net Metering Facility, Class II Net Metering Facility that is a New Solar Net Metering Facility, or Class III Net Metering Facility that is a New Solar Net Metering Facility, except for those
            Solar Net Metering Facilities governed by 220 CMR 18.04(4), each Distribution Company shall calculate for each Billing Period a Market Net Metering Credit equal to 60% of the net excess kilowatt-hours, by time-of-use, if applicable, multiplied by
            the sum of the Distribution Company’s:"

60% only!?!
            I read the document again and I'm not so sure anymore. The definition of "Cap Exempt Facility" is:
            A Class I Net Metering Facility that is:
            a renewable energy generating facility; and
            has a nameplate capacity rating equal to or less than: ten kilowatts on a single-phase circuit; or
            25 kilowatts on a three-phase circuit.I'm pretty sure National Grid would only care about our AC capacity so any home owner with a PV system rated for less than 10kW AC would be considered "Cap Exempt". With that said, I think that would qualify for (4):
            (4) For a New Solar Net Metering Facility that is a Cap Exempt Facility, or New Solar Net Metering Facility, of which the Municipality or Other Governmental Entity is the Host Customer and only allocates Net Metering Credits to the accounts of other customers that could also qualify as a Municipality or Other Governmental Entity, each Distribution Company shall calculate for each Billing Period a Market Net Metering Credit equal to 100% of the net excess kilowatt- 220 CMR: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC UTILITIES hours, by time-of-use, if applicable, multiplied by the sum of the Distribution Company’s:
            basic service kilowatt-hour charge in the ISO-NE load zone where the Host Customer is located;
            distribution kilowatt-hour charge;
            transmission kilowatt-hour charge; and
            transition kilowatt-hour charge.
            But then I read this: https://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program/detail/281

I don't know what to believe anymore. It will take at least a year for me to be able to confirm what NG pays out for net excess after a year, if anything.

Comment

Working...