X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tidalforce
    • Sep 2019

Utility company claiming I'm generating less than I am

I have Xcel Energy and the amount they claim I am generating is about half of what my system is telling me. My bill from last month states I only generated 421 kWh but my SolarEdge account says I generated 727 kWh. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, if anyone was Xcel energy I have some questions about my solar credits. I chose to waive my decision which I understand means I get a payout at the end of the year but they are sending me a check every month and it doesn't look like they are applying me excess kWh to the next months bill. They also set up a new account just for my solar (so I have two accounts with them now). Talked to customer service reps a few times and I just feel like they are not being honest with me. I probably should just move to continuous rollover (not really looking to make money off my panels, just offset my usage).

Thanks,
    JC
  • RichardCullip
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2019

Is it possible that you used 306kWh in your house - the difference btwn what your solar generated (727 kWh) and what was exported to the grid (421 kWh)?

Comment

• qrper
      • Dec 2019

I'll toss this on the wall and see if it sticks.

Is it possible that your power company is only giving you avoided costs and thats why you're seeing less power.

I guess I'd think about putting on a second meter that records power generated and not rely on the info Solaredge is supplying if this continues.

keep us informed!

Comment

• tidalforce
        • Sep 2019

Here are my two statements for the month in question. Again, SolarEdge says I generated 727 kWh during this time period. Might be that I'm not reading the statements correctly.

Thanks,
        JC
        Attached Files

Comment

• qrper
          • Dec 2019

I can't make much sense out of them either. I'd suggest a phone call or visit the power supplier and ask what's going on.

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

The billing uses the term "net" so I assume you have one meter. That was the assumption two other previous posters made. Your net to the power company is always going to be less than your generation since your house loads will consume the difference before anything goes back to the grid.
            NOTE: See my additional comment below.
            Last edited by Ampster; 01-11-2020, 07:46 PM. Reason: Mention additional comment.
            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• littleharbor
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

You self consumed the rest. When you're producing power it will go to running whatever loads your home is needing. All power not consumed by your home goes down the line to the POCO.
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

On further reading those two attachments it looks like you have two meters. On the first statement for meter # .....7637 there is a $1.15 charge for a production meter and you got a credit for 675 kWhrs (even though the title of the column says usage. That was for 34 days and may not be exactly what your Inverter says because the number of days may not be the same or the cycle may be different. At least it is closer to the actual. That must be the refund you referred to, correct?

The second statement is for meter # ....7731 which looks like a net meter which is the difference between what you produced and consumed.
                Last edited by Ampster; 01-11-2020, 07:45 PM.
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• solarix
                  Super Moderator
                  • Apr 2015

I wish I had a dollar for every one of my customers that has made this same mis-understanding.. The utility has no way of knowing how much the full production of your grid-tied solar system. All the utility's revenue meter sees is the excess generation that gets push back to the grid. It doesn't see the portion of the power that is produced by your solar system and immediately consumed by your house...
                  BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• emartin00
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solarix
                    I wish I had a dollar for every one of my customers that has made this same mis-understanding.. The utility has no way of knowing how much the full production of your grid-tied solar system. All the utility's revenue meter sees is the excess generation that gets push back to the grid. It doesn't see the portion of the power that is produced by your solar system and immediately consumed by your house...
                    Well that depends on if he has a second production meter for the solar system, which the statements lead me to believe he has.
                    The first image posted is the solar generation meter owned by the utility. It looks like this meter is strictly to track generation "credits" which are only half a penny per kWh.
                    The second image is the net meter which shows he imported 1242kWh, and exported 421kWh, for a net import of 821kWh.

OP, first, make sure your date range on the SolarEdge data is correct and matches the 11/19-12/23 date the utility is using. If the numbers still don't match up, then it may be worth a call to the utility to tell them you believe their generation meter is out of calibration. They should either come test it, or replace it.
                    t is also possible SolarEdge's numbers are incorrect, so you could contact them or your installer to check on the system.

One other thing you could do is get a home energy monitor. Sense Solar would monitor all energy being used and generated by solar, and would give you another data point.

Comment

Working...