X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob-n
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2019

If you're saying that everything is working now, great! Or are you saying that there is still a problem?
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• derrickhoward
      • Dec 2019

I replaced the 2 conductor trunk with the 3 conductor trunk... half the system works properly now. Waiting for it to quit raining & to warm up a bit the do the other branch.

Comment

• EngineerX
        • Apr 2021

To the OP bob-n, How reliably have these QS1 microinverters performed? Any issues that you've had since you finish the install? Hope they're performing well, as I'm considering a few for a setup I'm considering.

Comment

• bob-n
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2019

To date, I've had no issues with the QS1. No maintenance required, no faults.

Comment

• EngineerX
            • Apr 2021

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the QS1's. I'll give them a try and also get the ECU-R for monitoring. Hopefully vendor is correct when they assured end-user can set up ECU-R connection to microinverters without the need for a APSystems certified technician.

Comment

• bob-n
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2019

Before you start installing, you want to draw a picture of your planned array and number each panel location.

When you install, you will wire four PV panels to each QS1. As you go, for each panel, you'll write down panel location number, QS1 serial number and QS1 port number. There's no need to keep track of panel serial numbers, but if you are really compulsive, you can do that as well.

I needed some support from my vendor for setup because I am not a registered APsystems installer. The vendor logged into APsystems servers, entered my QS1 serial numbers and the panel locations for each port. From then on, I was able to handle it. With that in their server, you can access their server from your cell phone or web browser and query the power from any panel at any time, in a pretty graphical display.

You want to get assurances from your vendor that they are willing to do the same for you. From then on, it's no more complex than setting up a web camera or other smart-home device.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll try to help.

Comment

• EngineerX
                • Apr 2021

Very helpful advice, much appreciated. It was one of the posts on this thread that alerted me about needing to be a registered installer to open the account on servers. So I did call the vendor in Texas and they said they would help with setting up the account. I'll reach out if I have a question. I've watched all the APSystems youtube channel videos on the QS1 and ECU-R and with your install write-up I should have no problems installing and connecting the micros. I plan on running 9 QS1's. Each trunk bus of 3 micros routed to a junction box to transition to #10 THHN in conduits from roof to a subpanel with 20A breakers. I'll use a 60A non-fused AC disconnect between subpanel and main service panel. I'll draw a diagram as recommended.

Comment

• e2russ
                  • Aug 2017

Thanks Bob for sharing your wisdom on the install. I will be installing 6 QS1's and 24 450w panels on my shop this month. Waiting for all the parts to come in! I'll add some photos of the install.

Comment

• EngineerX
                    • Apr 2021

I"ve been running 6 QS1's with 24 previously used $65 SolarWorld SW235 panels. They've been trouble-free so far. Still have another uninstalled 24 panels and 3 QS1's. Not sure if I'll install them. I'll have to check at the end of the 12-month NET metering cycle. I don't want to have an excessive surplus. I've switched to electrical heaters for our living spaces and replacing natural gas water heater for a hybrid heat pump. Just my luck, the Calif Public Utilities Commission in cahoots with a couple of the big power companies (SCE & PG&E) want to add a "fee" for solar power generation to compensate for decline in profits and "subsequent" burden (price hikes) to those who don't have solar panels.... I digress... here's a couple of pics of my install

Bottom 4 rows are the installed arrays. Top 2 came with the house (SunRun lease.... yeah, phooey! had to take over lease, but no regrets - needed a house)
                    Yes - wire management has been done using Ironridge wire clips and UV zip ties. APS EMA monitoring app screenshots included. Hope these last!

IMG_20211217_115032s.jpgIMG_20211217_114959s.jpg
                    IMG_20211106_153609s.jpgapsemaappforandroid_s.jpg

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Why do i see at least 2 unconnected MC4 looking connectors hanging under the panels ?
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• EngineerX
                        • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Mike90250
                        Why do i see at least 2 unconnected MC4 looking connectors hanging under the panels ?
                        I had not yet finished the install when I took that pic
                        They're all connected now and properly secured with the Ironridge wire clips and UV zip ties. Otherwise, on the EMA App Module screen, you wouldn't see all 24 panels producing.

Comment

Working...