X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pir8radio - Thank you. Yes, I'm through that and running.

I've got some sort of bug where the app is reporting 36 to 50 watts of dark generation (perpetual motion???) The app inverter map shows a few panels putting out power at night and also putting out power with the circuit breaker open, and these panels are with different inverters.

The inverter map below shows my 20 panels on my 5 inverters: 0, 1, 6, 7 and 9. Each inverter has two panels putting out between 2 and 4 watts at 9:30PM. Very odd.

At first I thought it was offset in the current transformer (CT) input amplifier. Now I'm not sure. One other oddity is that the dealer sold me an off-brand CT, not the APsystems CT. Could that be a part of the problem? Even if the off-brand CT has a different turns ratio, it still wouldn't explain this.
    DarkPower.jpg
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Originally posted by bob-n View Post
      Pir8radio - Thank you. Yes, I'm through that and running.

I've got some sort of bug where the app is reporting 36 to 50 watts of dark generation (perpetual motion???) The app inverter map shows a few panels putting out power at night and also putting out power with the circuit breaker open, and these panels are with different inverters.

The inverter map below shows my 20 panels on my 5 inverters: 0, 1, 6, 7 and 9. Each inverter has two panels putting out between 2 and 4 watts at 9:30PM. Very odd.

At first I thought it was offset in the current transformer (CT) input amplifier. Now I'm not sure. One other oddity is that the dealer sold me an off-brand CT, not the APsystems CT. Could that be a part of the problem? Even if the off-brand CT has a different turns ratio, it still wouldn't explain this
      Thank you for your thoughts.
      Those per panel values actually come from the CT’s inside each inverter. I see the same thing. Two panels show wattage on each inverter when dark. I have not dug into it but I assume it’s maybe what the inverter is consuming from the grid for its internal electronics and zigbee? However 4 watts is a lot for that. Let me know what you find.

Attached Files

Comment

I reported this "dark generation of 4 watts" issue to APsystems. They opened a ticket and referred the ticket to China R&D. I guess that means that it's a bug and not something we did installers wrong. I'll let everyone know how the R&D team responds.

On a slightly different subject, Enphase offers users a public page to share the production from their array with a link like: https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/...tems/xxxxxxxxx

Do you know if APsystems has a similar way to share data with others?

Thank you.

Comment

I reported this "dark generation of 4 watts" issue to APsystems. They opened a ticket and referred the ticket to China R&D. I guess that means that it's a bug and not something we did installers wrong. I'll let everyone know how the R&D team responds.

On a slightly different subject, Enphase offers users a public page to share the production from their array with a link like: https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/...tems/xxxxxxxxx

Do you know if APsystems has a similar way to share data with others?

Thank you.
          No, but you have the ECU-C the commercial version (C) has built in web interface that you could share directly, Guessing creating another read only user and open the port on your firewall, or depending how technical you are put nginx in front of it and allow only access to whatever you want to share. I have not bought the ecu-c yet i have the ecu-r right now, will be ordering the C soon.

Comment

I found this in one of the APsystems help screens. It allows the public to view my array production:

https://www.apsystemsema.com/ema/int...xxxxxxxxxxxxxx &locale=en_US

I don't know if this will work with the ECU-R, but it seems to work with ECU-C. Note: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx needs to be replaced by the id number of my (or your) installation. The id number showed up on the settings screen.

Comment

Sorry, the forum seems to conceal urls. Hover over the blue url to see the actual text.

Comment

The QS1 trunk cable is a long three-wire 12 AWG cord with connectors every 2 meters. It comes in a continuous length, with 1 meter stubs on each end. APSystems allows you to cut it as desired into individual runs. Each individual run can service up to 3 microinverters (12AWG limit). Connect one end of that run to the combiner or junction box and place a sealing cap on the other end.
                I'm a little confused here. I thought the trunk cable was sold as discrete "Y" units either 2m or 4m in length (https://www.renvu.com/Solar/APSystem...able-2m-6Ft-_4) with two connectors to connect to neighboring trunk cables and a third connector to the QS1.

Inexplicably they use 14awg wire, which means 15 amps max, so you can only put three QS1 units on a string (thanks to Renvu for pointing this out: https://www.renvu.com/Learn/How-Many...?website=solar); this is a bummer for me, planning a 16-panel installation). I might as well run all 4 QS1s to a junction box using the cheaper YC600 cable and forget the Y-cables.

Comment

Originally posted by RShackleford View Post
                  I'm a little confused here. I thought the trunk cable was sold as discrete "Y" units either 2m or 4m in length (https://www.renvu.com/Solar/APSystem...able-2m-6Ft-_4) with two connectors to connect to neighboring trunk cables and a third connector to the QS1.

Inexplicably they use 14awg wire, which means 15 amps max, so you can only put three QS1 units on a string (thanks to Renvu for pointing this out: https://www.renvu.com/Learn/How-Many...?website=solar); this is a bummer for me, planning a 16-panel installation). I might as well run all 4 QS1s to a junction box using the cheaper YC600 cable and forget the Y-cables.
                  I just cut the ends off of mine, and used 240v plugs on the end, and ran them to 240v outlets (shown in this post: https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...408#post408408 ). Mainly because a few of my inverters came with broken bus cables in shipping and I didn't want to deal with sending them back. I think ap systems is switching to all of the same bus cables. they are all cut to length type cables now.

Comment

The cable that Renvu sent me was one long length of 12 AWG 3 conductor, and meant to be cut into segments for 2 or 3 microinverters per segment. There were no end connectors. I believe it was 11mm or 12mm outside diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by Pir8radio View Post
                      I just cut the ends off of mine, and used 240v plugs on the end, and ran them to 240v outlets ...
                      Outlets ? You mean junction boxes ? So you didn't bother daisy-chaining the inverters with "Y" cables, you just ran a cable from each inverter to one central junction box and then tied 'em to the cable carrying the total AC output ?
                      The cable that Renvu sent me was one long length of 12 AWG 3 conductor, and meant to be cut into segments for 2 or 3 microinverters per segment.
                      It looks like there's a unusual (if not proprietary) connector) for the AC output of the QS1. Did you buy some of those and somehow connect 'em to this cut-to-length cable ?

Sorry to be dense, but I am still (obviously) totally confused.

Comment

You're not dense. AP documentation is awful and our writing isn't perfect. In my system, I used the APsystems connectors as they intended. I bought cable for 5 QS1 quad inverters. It came as one long piece, with cut ends, as shown below. I've shown the cable as one line, but it is actually three conductors.
                        Cable.jpg
                        I cut it between the 3rd and fourth connector and capped two cut ends, leaving two bare ends. The bare ends go to the junction or combiner box. Here's a diagram.
                        APsystemsArray.jpg

I was disappointed in my AP connectors. The holding tabs on them were broken off on most of the connectors, so they simply fell apart when connected. I had to secure them together with cable ties.

It sounds like Pir8radio did something different. He/she simply cut off the AP connectors completely and just wired like any common cable. I assume he used good outdoor wiring practice.

Comment

The top of this picture gives you a sense of what the AP cable looks like. This picture is their dual inverter, not the quad, but the cable is the same. The cable in the photo below is for 4 inverters. You can barely make out one cut end at the very top. In the lower right is a round cap that perfectly seals a cut end. Someone might be tempted to save a buck and use electrical tape instead, but this is better. Above it is a plastic cap that can be used to close an unused three-connector cable. You probably won't need any of them unless you have a large space between panels and have to space your inverters very far apart. In that case, you order cable with extra connectors and get extra-long cable. Above that is the special plastic tool for separating a mated connector pair. In the orange circle is the end of one of the connectors. Note the ears. Those are the flimsy parts that snap off super-easy.

YC600-2018-C.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by RShackleford View Post
                            Outlets ? You mean junction boxes ? So you didn't bother daisy-chaining the inverters with "Y" cables, you just ran a cable from each inverter to one central junction box and then tied 'em to the cable carrying the total AC output ?

It looks like there's a unusual (if not proprietary) connector) for the AC output of the QS1. Did you buy some of those and somehow connect 'em to this cut-to-length cable ?

Sorry to be dense, but I am still (obviously) totally confused.

no, outlets. 240v outdoor outlets, replaced the micro inverter plugs with 240v plugs. Just like any other outdoor outlet. Covered with an in use cover.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pir8radio View Post
                              no, outlets. 240v outdoor outlets, replaced the micro inverter plugs with 240v plugs
                              So you've got an energized male plug ? Not subject to inspection I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by RShackleford
                                Did MODERATOR disallow my post containing links to APSystem's thing about DIY and to a site with some reviews ?!?
                                I did not see it in the queue. Any post with more than 1 URL, gets moderated automatically. Post that link to sales sites get removed, because this forum is not a free ad space.
                                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                                X