X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Sort of like the idea that a camel is a horse designed by committee ?
    Not at all like that. The only similarity between collaboration and committees is that they both begin with the letter "c".
    Design build contracts are an example as are any engineering projects that involve more than one discipline. An offshore oil platform comes to mind. No doubt it takes a leader with project management skills since the design process is a project by itself.
    Last edited by Ampster; 11-07-2019, 09:59 AM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by solardreamer
      Judging by the last few posts I still see a battery for backup power mindset. I have friends being told by home battery vendors that they don't anything else for backup power which I believe is very misleading. For backup power usage (i.e. not load shifting/grid avoidance), I would like home battery vendors to be more honest and tell consumers they still need a generator for reliable on-demand backup power and home battery is a nice add-on for additional convenience (e.g. emissions, noise, etc.). So, it should be a generator vs generator+home battery consideration for the consumers.
      Why would a battery vendor say anything else? Why would a Generator vendor suggest anything else than their product? I see three options available to people with solar.
      Battery
      Generator
      Battery and Generator.
      Generac has purchased a battery vendor. While there is no integrated product offering yet, Coupled with a generator, a hybrid inverter with battery could leverage solar for load shifting and when power is out. That combination could provide longer time when the grid is down and the skies are cloudy without the expense of more Lithium batteries. . While I am not a fan of using a generator the above combination could be cost effective. The new Fire Code limits the size of battery installations and that might also create a larger market for the above combination.
      Last edited by Ampster; 11-06-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• solardreamer
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2015

Originally posted by Ampster

Why would a battery vendor say anything else? Why would a Generator vendor suggest anything else than their product? I see three options available to people with solar.
        Battery
        Generator
        Battery and Generator.
        Generac has purchased a battery vendor. While there is no integrated product offering yet, Coupled with a generator, a hybrid inverter with battery could leverage solar for load shifting and when power is out. That combination could provide longer time when the grid is down and the skies are cloudy without the expense of more Lithium batteries. . While I am not a fan of using a generator the above combination could be cost effective. The new Fire Code limits the size of battery installations and that might also create a larger market for the above combination.
        Because that's the right thing to do? More importantly, there could be serious consequences for people that have critical medical needs (e.g. CPAP machines, medication that go bad without refrigeration, etc.) or disability needs (e.g. stair lift, etc.). So, you and some others may have backup power needs that could be fully addressed by home battery but that is not true in general. I am actually excited about all the battery technology development but I do not support overselling it. Toyota oversold the efficiency of hybrid engine technology in Prius and eventually lost major lawsuit for misleading consumers. I can see similar situation eventually happen to home battery vendors that market home battery as replacement for generators in general for backup power needs even if they have explicit disclaimers in fine print.

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

I don't support overselling anything either, but how do you propose preventing sales people from over selling anything. If they lie and that lie causes damage they should be liable for the damage.

Comment

Working...