X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sunpoweredev
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by petesamprs
    Got my PTO today. Long road started in mid August with GPE. Ended up with 46 panasonic panels (14.95kW) and 2 SE 7600H inverters w/ optimizers. $2.87/watt and hoping to break even in 5 yrs subject to actual usage and SREC payments.

Here were my milestones:
    - 8/21/19 - first contact with GPE
    - 9/1/19 - contract signed
    - 9/14/19 - GPE site survey
    - 9/17/19 - layout plan received/agreed
    - 10/1/19 - Interconnection application
    - 10/24/19 - engineer drawings submitted to town for permit (this took longer than i was expecting)
    - 11/12/19 - approvals received
    - 11/25/19 week - new roof install (costello)
    - 12/16/19 week - panel installation (GPE was backed up and had bad weather in early December)
    - 12/30/19 - final electrical connections and final invoice payments to GPE

- 1/16/20 - Part 2 of interconnection agreement
    - 1/17/20 - Town COA received
    - 2/6/20 - PTO received (no meter swap required - all done remotely)

Already got full admin rights from GPE so I'm set up on SE monitoring and pvoutput export. I'm using a cellular connection right now but may hardwire soon (or if SE finally rolls out its wifi monitoring firmware upgrade i'll start to use that). Anything else to be aware of for someone that is a "new PTO"?

Capture.JPG
    Congratulations! Great that GPE got you in the 2019 filing. Nothing I can add but to remind you to ask GPE about your critter guard.

Which Panasonic model are your 325W panels? Looks quite sleek being all black. I have the VBHN330SA17 330W panels and they have a white grid on them, which is OK with me since I care more for efficiency.

I too have 2 PVC vents. Contemplated on getting them moved while Costello replaced the roof, which per GPE I could've done away with one of the panels and still make more power, but would totally mess up the symmetry of the panel layout. That plus I didnt' want to try to coordinate with another contractor swayed me away from getting them moved.
    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

Comment

• petesamprs
      • Aug 2019

Agree, nice to squeeze into 2019. My panels are the VBHN325KA03.

Yeah I debated moving the two vents as well as part of redoing my roof, but it was just going to add more time and complexity. I wasn't going to move them to the front of my house, and the panels cover a good portion of the rear, so I would have needed to find a new spot much further away. I decided to leave them as is.

Comment

• JSchnee21
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2017

Beautiful! Fantastic. All we need now is some sun (-: January was pretty good. But lots of clouds and rain in Feb . . . at least down in Central NJ where I am.

While I second the critter guards (to protect your investment), regrettably they do detract somewhat from the aesthetics. But at least for my yard, I have so many birds, squirrels, chipmonks, leaves etc. the critter guards are a must.

My shingles are brown, and I have the panels as Sunpoweredev, and the wire mesh stands out against my shingles. Your's will probably be better given the dark grey shingles.

I wish GPE used a little taller racking with better ventilation, my panels (and it looks like yours) seem very tight to the roof (3-4").

All the best,
        Jonathan

Comment

• JSchnee21
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2017

We should start a poll. Are there any reputable NJ local installers other than GPE? Trinity? Anyone else?

Comment

• petesamprs
            • Aug 2019

Originally posted by JSchnee21
            Beautiful! Fantastic. All we need now is some sun (-: January was pretty good. But lots of clouds and rain in Feb . . . at least down in Central NJ where I am.

While I second the critter guards (to protect your investment), regrettably they do detract somewhat from the aesthetics. But at least for my yard, I have so many birds, squirrels, chipmonks, leaves etc. the critter guards are a must.

My shingles are brown, and I have the panels as Sunpoweredev, and the wire mesh stands out against my shingles. Your's will probably be better given the dark grey shingles.

I wish GPE used a little taller racking with better ventilation, my panels (and it looks like yours) seem very tight to the roof (3-4").

All the best,
            Jonathan
            I don't have many critters since there are no tall trees near my house, but I'll still install the guards to be safe. I'm hoping they blend in since the shingles are dark. Now here's hoping for better weather!
            Last edited by petesamprs; 02-07-2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• JSchnee21
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2017

Yeah, I'm not knocking the company that installed them. I think they did a good job. Guy was super nice, too. But, black wire mesh is black wire mesh.

Tried to upload a photo but am getting a server error

Comment

• petesamprs
                • Aug 2019

Finally have been having some good sunny days recently. I've been logging my production on both the SE monitoring portal and PVoutput. PVoutput always shows less, but some days it's a lot less. Why is that?

For example, I've also attached the 2/17 graphs from SE and PVoutput
                Attached Files
                Last edited by petesamprs; 02-20-2020, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• brycenesbitt
                  • Nov 2019

You could fill in those last two gaps with a https://solarroofjack.com/

"It allows for a new design concept which encourages installers to place solar panels on top of ABS plumbing pipes instead of building around them, A more efficient way to utilize more roof space. It allows for more power generation, the opportunity to sell more panels, and more aesthetically pleasing designs your customers will love."

Your inverters would probably take two more panels.

jack2-1-2-1-370x275.png
                  Last edited by brycenesbitt; 06-05-2020, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by brycenesbitt
                    You could fill in those last two gaps with a https://solarroofjack.com/

"It allows for a new design concept which encourages installers to place solar panels on top of ABS plumbing pipes instead of building around them, A more efficient way to utilize more roof space. It allows for more power generation, the opportunity to sell more panels, and more aesthetically pleasing designs your customers will love."

Your inverters would probably take two more panels.

jack2-1-2-1-370x275.png
                    Those exposed screws are potential leakers.

Comment

• brycenesbitt
                      • Nov 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                      Those exposed screws are potential leakers.
                      Not my product. But those screws are part of the vent itself, and don't penetrate the roof.
                      It installs like a shingle.
                      I'd worry about UV light on the plastic, but maybe not so much if it's under a panel.

Solar Roof Jack Plumbing Penetration Relocation.JPG

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Not my product. But those screws are part of the vent itself, and don't penetrate the roof.
                        It installs like a shingle.
                        I'd worry about UV light on the plastic, but maybe not so much if it's under a panel.

Solar Roof Jack Plumbing Penetration Relocation.JPG
                        Understood. Thank you. I'd worry about UV degradation on plastic as well, but I'd never locate a plumbing vent in a way that allowed vapors/moisture to be exhausted under a panel. For one thing, my building code won't allow it.

Comment

• brycenesbitt
                          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                          Understood. Thank you. I'd worry about UV degradation on plastic as well, but I'd never locate a plumbing vent in a way that allowed vapors/moisture to be exhausted under a panel. For one thing, my building code won't allow it.
                          The entire point of this product is to relocate the vent under the array, out into the open.
                          Keep in mind that plumbing vents are for air pressure relief, they don't involve exhaust in any significant sense.

The design has approvals, your mileage may vary with your ahj.
                          Last edited by brycenesbitt; 06-06-2020, 02:01 AM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

The entire point of this product is to relocate the vent under the array, out into the open.
                            Keep in mind that plumbing vents are for air pressure relief, they don't involve exhaust in any significant sense.

The design has approvals, your mileage may vary with your ahj.
                            - I understand the purpose of plumbing vents. I reviewed the website for the product. It this seems to be one way to deal with moving them, but it ain't a slam duck.
                            On your point of plumbing vents not exhausting much: Plumbing vents are also called stink vents by some. They also carry moisture with what smells. The moisture with the stuff that smells can condense on the underside of a panel that may be and often is at a temp. below the sat. temp. of the stuff coming out of the vent.
                            Plumbing codes don't like blocking vents for several reasons. According to many, the primary one being that blockage will interfere with vent draw.
                            I don't agree that the amount of stuff vented is insignificant, particularly if the vent run is faulty or the plumbing vent system is not adequate to the purpose. Over time, the moisture and stuff from a vent will collect on the backside of a panel, evaporate, leave deposits, and the cycle continues. An insignificant amount over a long time can be a lot of stuff.
                            Other concerns I'd have using the product:
                            - How do I get access to the penetration after the panels are installed ?
                            - I wonder how many applications will run downhill.
                            - I wonder how many vents will wind up casting a shadow on the array.
                            - Industry trade group approval is nice, but my and probably other AHJ's aren't necessarily governed by them.

Besides, for the OP's application, it looks like there isn't a whole lot of clearance under the array relative to the size of the vents making the Solar Roof Jack product questionable for this application. Running a vent under an array may also reduce/impede the air flow under an array, increasing the cell temp. and so decreasing array efficiency.

I wish that product had been around when I did my install. Seems potentially fit for purpose with some considerations. But I'd bet a lot of DIYers and probably some installers could get into trouble.
                            Last edited by J.P.M.; 06-06-2020, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• solarix
                              Super Moderator
                              • Apr 2015

What was done to your electrical service to backfeed over 15kW of power? Line side tap, 400A panel, derated main breaker?
                              BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Ampster
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jun 2017

"It allows for a new design concept which encourages installers to place solar panels on top of ABS plumbing pipes instead of building around them, A more efficient way to utilize more roof space. It allows for more power generation,........"
                                If I understand the concept, it moves the vent so that it does not exit under the panels. It is probably quicker and less expensive than moving the vent if the attic is even accessible.
                                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...