X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nwdiver
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Markyrocks69
    Are you absolutely positive there is no service disconnect at the meter? I only ask bc by code there should be a shutoff within 5 feet of the meter. That's kinda the point I'm getting at is in theory theres should be a shutoff (molded case breaker) and the ground and neutral should be bonded there and nowhere else. I realize this kinda seems off the subject but if the neutral is bonded in multiple places that could be part of the issue.
    Around these parts the meter is the service disconnect... if they want to disconnect service they pull the meter.

Comment

• Markyrocks69
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by nwdiver

Around these parts the meter is the service disconnect... if they want to disconnect service they pull the meter.
      Ya but how exactly does that provide over current protection to the run of wire between the meter and the main panel?

Anyways, what is the ground at the meter for? Is it bonded to the neutral in the meter box? If the meter box is considered the main disconnect then it should be. If it is then the neutral and ground should not be bonded in the main panel. The point of all this is to provide a path of least resistance. If you have varying paths of resistance to ground voltage on the neutral could be traveling in different directions including energizing the grounds.
      Last edited by Markyrocks69; 08-27-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• nwdiver
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2019

Ya but how exactly does that provide over current protection to the run of wire between the meter and the main panel?

Anyways, what is the ground at the meter for? Is it bonded to the neutral in the meter box? If the meter box is considered the main disconnect then it should be. If it is then the neutral and ground should not be bonded in the main panel. The point of all this is to provide a path of least resistance. If you have varying paths of resistance to ground voltage on the neutral could be traveling in different directions including energizing the grounds.
        Over current protection upstream of the main breaker is rather rare. I don't think I've ever seen that. The next OCP device is usually the fuse feeding the XFMR.

I think the ground is just grounded with a ground rod at the meter...

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

Good question, In my case it is 6 inches from the meter to the main breaker so I guess they figure the utility over current protection will suffice. In the case of overhead drops that wire size is often smaller than what NEC would require on the customer side.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Markyrocks69
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2019

Over current protection upstream of the main breaker is rather rare. I don't think I've ever seen that. The next OCP device is usually the fuse feeding the XFMR.

I think the ground is just grounded with a ground rod at the meter...
            It's not rare at all. Like I said its code. Now I'm not going to claim I'm some idiot savant when it comes to electric but this is exactly how my property is setup and I wondered why. I looked into it and I'm just repeating what I found. I'm not trying to give a lecture I'm just trying to figure out what the problem is.

Saying the ground is just grounded with a ground rod isn't the answer I'm looking for. What is the point of it? What does the other end go to? If that rod is bonded to the neutral and the main is grounded by another rod and the neutral and that ground are bonded and the only thing connecting the 2 sets of rods is the neutral then theres all kinds of issues there. The whole point of the way the code is setup is so that voltage on the neutral travels from branch circuits to the bus and back up the pole in a straight shot. If you have heavy loads in the main panel and varying resistance in different directions that voltage could be traveling to places that it's not supposed to. And that is precisely what your problem seems to be. When these errors are occurring is this a heavy electrical usage time of day? Dishes being done, showers, coffee, making breakfast ect?

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Ya but how exactly does that provide over current protection to the run of wire between the meter and the main panel?....
              In California, I've never seen a disconnect or protection between the pole and meter. It's always been IN the main panel after the meter.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Markyrocks69
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250

In California, I've never seen a disconnect or protection between the pole and meter. It's always been IN the main panel after the meter.
                I'm not talking about between the pole and the meter I'm talking about between the meter and the main panel.

Apparently the nec doesn't specify a distance but if you Google it it varies slightly from place to place but most people are saying 6 ft. Apparently this is up to the discretion of the local inspector. Basically the code says the main service disconnect needs to be outside and accessible or inside at the closest point of entrance. 2 totally contradictory statements but whatever. Again I'm just trying to get the actual problem. The distance really isn't the issue.

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

I'm not talking about between the pole and the meter I'm talking about between the meter and the main panel.

How does this have anything to do with answering question at the beginning of this thread?
                  9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Markyrocks69
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Ampster

How does this have anything to do with answering question at the beginning of this thread?
                    Read the thread.

Comment

• nwdiver
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Mar 2019

I might be misremembering some stuff. Thinking it over further I think there's actually a 'main' panel at the pole under the meter that feeds the shop and the house. So the panel at the pole would really be the 'main'. I thought the ground and neutral were bonded in the house.... I'll have to text him... could this cause intermittent faults?

Comment

• Markyrocks69
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2019

I might be misremembering some stuff. Thinking it over further I think there's actually a 'main' panel at the pole under the meter that feeds the shop and the house. So the panel at the pole would really be the 'main'. I thought the ground and neutral were bonded in the house.... I'll have to text him... could this cause intermittent faults?
                        Eureka. Seems like were getting somewhere. Ok if there is a main shutoff at the pole, like I said the neutral and ground should be bonded there. Now you need to find out if the grounds and neutrals are mixed in the panels inside the other panels on the property. The grounds and neutrals in these panels should be separate. Meaning ground on one bus, neutrals on the other. They cant be mixed. Even adding one neutral to the ground bar can send current down the grounds. This intermittent issue might only be occurring when someone just so happens to be using a specific circuit. When the circuit is idling nothing is happening but if someone is putting a load on the circuit then the amps on the bus change and could be the reason the error is happening.

Comment

• oregon_phil
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2019

It's difficult to find a solution to a problem since SMA didn't give a very good explanation of the fault and corrective measures. Two consecutive firmware updates (knock on wood) solved my nuisance arc fault issues, but could an unknown firmware update be causing the TL issues?

Why am I bringing up firmware? Because by default, SMA sets auto firmware update to YES. Inverter variables might get changed during these firmware updates. I had a Level 3 SMA tech tell to turn Auto Update to NO once my system was stable.

Just throwing it out there.

Comment

• Markyrocks69
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2019

Was this ever solved. I'm curious as to what the final outcome was?

Comment

Working...