X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recoating Foam Roof With Solar Panels

It's been awhile since posting anything here but we are finally closing on a home in Sedona, Arizona next month and I'm evaluating what needs to be done to the current house before putting it up for sale. When we installed solar on our flat foam roof seven years ago, we had the roof evaluated and the recommendation was to coordinate the solar installation with the recoating process. This worked very well and there have been no problems since. However, the coating has not stood up well even with a ten year warranty and I'm thinking of getting it recoated prior to sale or at least a quote for it to use in negotiating with a buyer. (The roofer that did the recoat appears to have gone under just like the solar company that did the solar install LOL.)The foam itself is in good condition it's just the protective coating that's bubbled and cracked in places. What I'd like to know is anyone's experience with recoating a foam roof with solar installed. Is it necessary to remove the panels to recoat or can they be covered to prevent the coating from getting on the panels? If anyone has knowledge of a roofer who has experience with coating roofs with solar in the Phoenix area, I'd welcome that information too.

I'm ignorant of what may be your best course of action but it's good to hear you're alive and still kicking ass/taking names.

Been to Sedona lots. Nice place.

All the best,

J.P.M.

Comment

You may be able to get by with an elastomeric coating that roofing suppliers carry to coat flat roofs. That may be what is now over the foam now. The panels will have to be moved so that the coating can be applied but the roofer can probably work around the rails. I'm in California so my resources are of no use in Arizona. I paid a guy who knew solar $0.50 per Watt to remove my panels then come back and replace them for a total reroof project a year ago. The reroof was separate. Good luck.
      Last edited by Ampster; 04-05-2019, 12:13 AM.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        I'm ignorant of what may be your best course of action but it's good to hear you're alive and still kicking ass/taking names.

Been to Sedona lots. Nice place.

All the best,

J.P.M.
        Thanks! Sedona is beautiful and bustling but the new home is in a quieter area (Village of Oak Creek) but with gorgeous red rock views including Castle Rock (just up the street), Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte. Did look at one home with leased solar - buyout would have been north of $23K! New home is electric with a heat pump. Too bad I can't take my solar with me.
        Ian

Comment

It's so strange driving around Oak Creek and up to Sedona at night. They have light pollution rules that heavily restrict the exterior lighting on residences. It's so dark you'd think you were out in thr middle of nowhere.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
            It's so strange driving around Oak Creek and up to Sedona at night. They have light pollution rules that heavily restrict the exterior lighting on residences. It's so dark you'd think you were out in thr middle of nowhere.
            That's the idea. Looked at places at oak creek myself.

You, Ian & I could be neighbors. Pretty scary huh ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

That's the idea. Looked at places at oak creek myself.

You, Ian & I could be neighbors. Pretty scary huh ?
              LOL! We first looked at the place in February just after a record snowfall in the area. View from the deck:
              20190224_113849_resized (Medium).jpg

Comment

If you were in any other climate, I would tell you to tear off the spray foam roof and start over - that stuff is that terrible. It's one of those things that sounded like the perfect solution to every roofing problem 10 or 15 years ago without knowing the long-term reliability and issues that could arise. "It's closed-cell - nothing will ever get through it"......until the foam starts to crack and deteriorate as the original blowing agents and plasticizers off-gas. The only thing that is saving your roof is that your are in a very low moisture/rainfall area and you have kept up on re-sealing the roof.

We had a spray foam roof at the company I work for (here in Michigan) and the thing turned into a giant sponge. You could literally lift chunks of the roof off it had failed so badly. The funny (and sad) thing is that the only thing keeping the roof from leaking like a sieve was the original roofing membrane that they put the spray foam over.

If you are going for a quick-fix, you could probably just have it re-coated. If you want to do it right, I would recommend going over it with a cover board and a (white) PVC roof membrane or something similar. Either way, at a minimum I think you are going to have to remove the panels because they will have to be able to get under them to put the new material down. Probably partially depends on how the panels are attached (ballasted, screwed through the roof, etc). Coating it will probably get you another 5-10 years. A PVC or membrane roof will probably get you 20-25. Faster, cheaper, or better - pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitter98 View Post
                  The only thing that is saving your roof is that your are in a very low moisture/rainfall area and you have kept up on re-sealing the roof.
                  Foamed flat roofs, if cared for properly, can last indefinitely here in Phoenix. You have to periodically recoat them but if you do they work great here. I think I will get some bids on recoating and then either have it done or knock the recoating cost off the price of the home.Leave it up to the buyer whether or not they want to go with a recoat or redo the foam itself. The new home in Sedona has a tile roof that just had the underlayment replaced so it should outlast me!.

Comment

Because you have your array on tilt racks, your roofer should be able to apply a coating under them without removing them. Just require them to tarp the solar panels so they don't get messed up as roofers are notoriously messy.
                    By the way, you should have bought your solar from me. We're still in business and doing jobs in the VOC all the time.....
                    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
                      Because you have your array on tilt racks, your roofer should be able to apply a coating under them without removing them. Just require them to tarp the solar panels so they don't get messed up as roofers are notoriously messy.
                      By the way, you should have bought your solar from me. We're still in business and doing jobs in the VOC all the time.....
                      I wish you'd be willing to go a bit further and install my system here in North Scottsdale. I have a really nice casita you can stay in for free...

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
                        Thanks very much for the info. I don't suppose you know any roofers in Phoenix that would be competent to do that? I suppose any one of the big names would be capable.

Well, the home with solar is in Phoenix and the system was installed seven years ago - not sure you were around then BTW, we got one of those short-lived and almost too good to be true SunPower prepaid lease deals where our total out of pocket (after buyout last year) was less than $1 per watt. Our installer went belly up only a few months after our install. I see another solar company here in the Valley of the Sun has gone belly up leaving customers high and dry. That was one nice thing about the SunPower deal we got: no payment until the system was actually up and running.

The new home in VOC is probably ideal for solar although I haven't looked at that option in a long time. Maybe it would be something to consider when we sell our existing home. Our little complex appears to be a hot sellers' market just now. A home that a flipper bought last fall for $400K and just put on the market a week ago at $590K is already in escrow. It was fully renovated but still. Our HOA had to put a lien on the property because they refused to pay the association dues. We were actually ready to foreclose which then got the real estate agent's attention!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian S View Post

Thanks very much for the info. I don't suppose you know any roofers in Phoenix that would be competent to do that? I suppose any one of the big names would be capable.

Well, the home with solar is in Phoenix and the system was installed seven years ago - not sure you were around then BTW, we got one of those short-lived and almost too good to be true SunPower prepaid lease deals where our total out of pocket (after buyout last year) was less than $1 per watt. Our installer went belly up only a few months after our install. I see another solar company here in the Valley of the Sun has gone belly up leaving customers high and dry. That was one nice thing about the SunPower deal we got: no payment until the system was actually up and running.

The new home in VOC is probably ideal for solar although I haven't looked at that option in a long time. Maybe it would be something to consider when we sell our existing home. Our little complex appears to be a hot sellers' market just now. A home that a flipper bought last fall for $400K and just put on the market a week ago at $590K is already in escrow. It was fully renovated but still. Our HOA had to put a lien on the property because they refused to pay the association dues. We were actually ready to foreclose which then got the real estate agent's attention!
                          Hey Ian,

Did you ever find a competent roofer, or how did this end up?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Spektre View Post

Hey Ian,

Did you ever find a competent roofer, or how did this end up?

Thanks!
                            I believe I found a good roofer but he's busy and won't get to my roof until later this month. While most of the roof is a flat foam roof, I have a small tiled turret which needs attention too. Both roofs would fail an inspection even though they aren't leaking. I plan to have the home on the market about the time the roof gets done so the SPDS will look good. Home needs updating and the way these things are going in our small complex, ones like mine will be gutted to the studs and completely redone. One that was just flipped that way closed last week and apparently the new owners already plan to change out the new porcelain tile floors for hardwood and redo the already redone kitchen!

Comment

Status Update: well the roofs got repaired/recoated and turned out well. They were easily able to coat under the panels and I saw no coating getting on the panels. But by this time we were into August and we were going to be traveling so we opted not to put the house on MLS until we returned. While we were away the AC died! Three year old Trane high end unit. Fortunately under extended warranty but because the house was empty it didn't qualify for emergency service so more delays. One of my knowledgeable friends pointed out some cosmetic drywall items that he said should be repaired and I took his advice. I contacted a handyman I'd used in the past with success and he came by to estimate plus I added in the new bare wood that the roofers didn't paint. He said he'd get back to me right away. Days went by and I heard nothing, Contacted him again and he said he'd have a quote the following day. When I heard nothing I texted him and said I was going to get someone else. Still crickets so I contacted a handyman outfit who sent out someone to quote and I got a quick quote that I thought a bit pricey but oh well. So he gets scheduled and then two days prior I get contacted by the firm to say he was on medical leave and they would have someone to requote. When that guy came, he said oh, this home was built prior to 1978 so they would require certification that there was no asbestos or lead paint. Arrrrggggh! My friend who suggested doing the work in the first place gave me a name he'd used before and that guy gave a fair quote and within two weeks had the work done well. Meanwhile, a toilet had started to leak as had the water softener bypass manifold. Was able to fix those myself fortunately.

With all this behind us we were ready to list. Some back and forth with the listing agent on document revisions and we were pretty much ready. Even without it on the market, word of mouth produced a number of walk-throughs but no interest in making an offer. Then Monday last week, out of the blue, I get a call from from a buyer who wanted a walk through. So I did that and she took pictures and then asked for access so she could go over what she wanted to do with contractors. I agreed and by Friday I had an offer! It was a bit lower than I had hoped but they offered an all cash deal closing on Halloween with no inspection (as is)! Because of my agreement with my fixed fee listing agent, there is no agent commission to pay!

As for the solar system, it doesn't appear to have been a major factor one way or another but it would have been had there been a lease. Glad I took the cheap early buyout last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X