X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • technoedge
    • Jun 2009

Crack in Solar Panel

I have a 70w solar panel which I bought recently. Using it on the first day I saw a crack dividing dividing a cell into two parts. These two parts are connect in parallel side by side by the same soldering.

My problem is that the panel claims 4amps put my panel outputs 2.5 to 3 max in a sunny day and only one day at 3.3amps

Is this due to the crack or if split-up cells that are connected in parallel do not have any effect on it output.

Also, my panel claims 4amps, is it a possiblity that the claim is only under test conditions or best maximum conditions.

Thank you all for your time
  • Off Grid Solar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2009

Technoedge, The crack may have something to do with your problem. Most solar panels are rated for watts during ideal conditions. 68 degrees F. seems to be the norm. As the temp rises the wattage drops. If a solar panel is 150 degrees F. You will see a 8% drop in wattage or you will now have volts times amps equals 64 watts under full sun light. Moisture has nothing to do with the solar panel's output. Dirt and dust does affect the output of a solar panel. Now for some strange information if your temp drops your watts stay the same under 68 degrees F. To me solar is the best solution to our energy problems. No moving parts to break or wear out like other renewable energy types. Reliability is only one good reason for solar PV. Everybody seems to forget that solar can be as small as you want it to be ( grid independence) or as large as you want it to be. I was once told that solar cost too much. I compaired a coal fired plant to a solar plant with the same amount of power over a 3 year period. Solar won, hands down. No trains needed to carry coal or ships or barges. Simple no fuel needed at all. You see coal, natural gas and oil and even nuclear require water to make steam. Solar and wind don't require fuel at all. Hydro plants are different they too require water. Solar is a better solution than wind only because it requires no moving parts to break or wearout. Solar does work, I know I have many years experience in the solar industry. Years ago there were no solar panels. We called them solar plates.

Comment

• indalecio.feng
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by technoedge
      I have a 70w solar panel which I bought recently. Using it on the first day I saw a crack dividing dividing a cell into two parts. These two parts are connect in parallel side by side by the same soldering.

My problem is that the panel claims 4amps put my panel outputs 2.5 to 3 max in a sunny day and only one day at 3.3amps

Is this due to the crack or if split-up cells that are connected in parallel do not have any effect on it output.

Also, my panel claims 4amps, is it a possiblity that the claim is only under test conditions or best maximum conditions.

Thank you all for your time
      For sure the broken cell make the decrease of your module.

Send back to the seller and change a new one.

Comment

• Off Grid Solar
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2009

The voltage of that solar panel should be at peak power 17.5 volts. Please check the voltage. If the voltage is less than there is a problem with the cracked solar panel. I would not recommend using this panel if the voltage is lower than 12 volts or higher than 22 volts. Check the voltage under full sun conditions only.

Comment

Working...