X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NothingInCommon
    • May 2017

Thoughts on used panels?

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/eld/d/winter-park-solar-panels-for-sale-1200/6839287325.html

$120 for 350W Sunpower panels???

Is it worth the risk?

• John_Dumke
    • Dec 2017

That sounds like a great deal. My biggest concern would be that it is a scam. If you could pick them up in person or verify the validity of the seller somehow, I would consider going for it. There are probably escrow accounts that funds could be placed in, and then released when product is received.

I punched the number into my reverse phone look up system and got no information. While this isn't an indication of a fraudulent seller, if the seller had a business associated with the phone number then the number should show up.

Comment

• NothingInCommon
      • May 2017

Originally posted by John_Dumke
      That sounds like a great deal. My biggest concern would be that it is a scam. If you could pick them up in person or verify the validity of the seller somehow, I would consider going for it. There are probably escrow accounts that funds could be placed in, and then released when product is received.

I punched the number into my reverse phone look up system and got no information. While this isn't an indication of a fraudulent seller, if the seller had a business associated with the phone number then the number should show up.
      I am in South Florida so I could check them out.

Comment

• John_Dumke
        • Dec 2017

Somebody here can probably tell you how to quickly tell if they work. Maybe a volt meter across the to terminals might work. Then I would probably go for it. My guess is panels like this would probably sell for new about $220. Maybe ask how he acquired them? Just to see that everything makes sense.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

To test panels, you need good clear sun, and a volt/amp meter
          First test is simple voltage, does the panel produce the voltage listed as Voc on it's sticker ?
          2nd test is a bit tougher, you need to configure your meter for DC amps, AND aim the panel well at the sun,
          connect the leads and you should get at least 80% of the Isc rating on sticker. Test for 5 min, let the panel get really heated up.

The common shipping scam is a bent or cracked panel - gee it was fine when I shipped it, sorry.

And there is a sun electric place in Fl, that has industrial quantities of new and surplus used panels, and they know how to ship safely, but shipping is not cheap
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Something doesn't look right. $120/panel ? Which ones, the 210 W or the 350's ? I don't think the 210 W Sunpower panel has been made for some time. That's an oldy and been around 12+ yrs. First 210 W S.P. panel I saw was in 2006. The 350's may be commercial. Nothing wrong w/either as far as it goes, but just so you know, they're most likely used and at least the 210's are kinda long in the tooth.

Also, looks like it's an all/nothing deal on quantity or at least implied as such and it reads to me like the seller isn't in a mood to negotiate about much of anything.

I appreciate the seller says the panels are in So. FL, but FWIW, there's not much around the shown site east of Orlando besides food joints, auto/cycle places, and junk yards or surplus vehicle inventory lots on the other side of the road.

Caveat Emptor.

Comment

• NothingInCommon
              • May 2017

Originally posted by Mike90250
              To test panels, you need good clear sun, and a volt/amp meter
              First test is simple voltage, does the panel produce the voltage listed as Voc on it's sticker ?
              2nd test is a bit tougher, you need to configure your meter for DC amps, AND aim the panel well at the sun,
              connect the leads and you should get at least 80% of the Isc rating on sticker. Test for 5 min, let the panel get really heated up.

The common shipping scam is a bent or cracked panel - gee it was fine when I shipped it, sorry.

And there is a sun electric place in Fl, that has industrial quantities of new and surplus used panels, and they know how to ship safely, but shipping is not cheap
              So If I can test a random sample of panels and they all have the sunpower label + the meter reads right on everything i test .. should I buy them? I want anything over 12kw I was thinking about getting 40 (seller willing) .. comes out to $4800 or about half the price I was going to pay for new 345w Canadian solar panels. 50% off seems like a decent deal, however their life span might be many years shorter. ..trade offs

Comment

• littleharbor
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2016

Sunpower brown cells (2).jpg Make sure they don't have a bunch of browned cells. If the cells are all black and you are getting good Voc. and Isc. I'd say you found a deal.
                2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• NothingInCommon
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by littleharbor
                  Sunpower brown cells (2).jpg Make sure they don't have a bunch of browned cells. If the cells are all black and you are getting good Voc. and Isc. I'd say you found a deal.
                  Man, now that you mention it they look a little brown in the pics in Craigslist. Maybe it's inevitable that they'll all get that way eventually?

Comment

• littleharbor
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by NothingInCommon

Man, now that you mention it they look a little brown in the pics in Craigslist. Maybe it's inevitable that they'll all get that way eventually?
                    It may be ok if they are all consistently browned but I cant say for sure. I've read some articles online about this phenomenon But don't recall whether they are known to all brown. From the pics Ive seen of problem panels there is obviously something going on beyond simple aging.

Sunpower brown cells 2 (2).jpg
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

I would not trust panels using older technology, with heavy frames and questionable cell sealing. Any
                      flaw in sealing is reason to reject. Bruce Roe

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2019

You know, the price $.35 is good, you need to find out if they have transferable warranty, all mfr. labels are on them (necessary for grid tie), and ask what grade they are?

Those pictures certainly don't look like used panels, in fact I believe I have seen at least one of those pictures before. With Craigslist you have no buyers recourse like you do with eBay, so a mild warning is in order.

The good news about used panels is that they have already been through the largest killer of PV modules (infant mortality), the bad news is they may all be mortal.
                        You can find deals like that on eBay where do you have a little bit more control over the way it's purchased.

I don't like the fact that there are no close up pictures of the labels and no mention of what panel model number they are
                        Last edited by motorcyclemikie; 04-01-2019, 01:44 AM.
                        Those who do, do it!

Comment

• Ampster
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2017

I recently bought used Sunpower panels from a seller on Craigslisr. The panels had reportedly come off a roof of an industrial building that was sold and needed a new roof. The seller was 60 miles away and also had a website and was selling the same panels on Ebay for more. At the time I only had tested them for voltage which is not as time consuming and works in less than full sun. As mentioned above to get a real sense for capacity you also need to measure Amperage in full sun. Based on my experience with this vendor I would buy more from him but caveat emptor always applies.

Also, I dont think it was mentioned, you cannot take the Federal Tax Credit on used panels.
                          Last edited by Ampster; 04-01-2019, 07:53 AM. Reason: FTC
                          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...