Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunpower monitoring went offline when I got a new fios router...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunpower monitoring went offline when I got a new fios router...

Sunpower monitoring went down when I got a new fios router. Installers want $250 to do the site visit. But all they have to do is plug into the monitoring device and recalibrate it - I assume to set the new MAC address.

Is this really something that cant be DIY?

MAC address of what? You can connect the router and Sunpower monitoring device DIY. The device should push to the Sunpower cloud. Did you use an app or browser to look at monitoring site? I have a Sunpower system but it is in a tenant occupied townhome and it uploads slowly via cell connection. I am visiting the tenant in 10 days and will see if he has any issues with me plugging in the monitoring device to his Fios router.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

It may be a problem with the default firewall/access control settings of the new router. Or you may need to change the network information configured in the inverter or gateway.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

They should have set up an ethernet cable that runs to the monitor box. It should be in the area where the old modem router was. If they set up the fios modem or router in the same spot it should be right there. It should just plug right in.

Comment

If you had a cable modem before and switched to FIOS it's unlikely that you're monitoring hardware should not work. I would expect it just leases an IP address from your router and then connects out to the internet to the SunPower cloud management servers.

If you are still having issues. I suggest powering everything off. Bring up your FIOS first. Verify (with a wired PC for example) that you can lease an IP address from your FIOS router and access the internet. Connect the ethernet cable from your SunPower monitoring system to your FIOS router. Power the SunPower system on. It should then lease an IP and start communicating.

One possibility might be that you ran out of IP address in your FIOS routers DHCP range. You may need to go into the FIOS router web management page and increase the number of IP's it can lease to 50 or 100.

I don't have a SunPower system, so I cannot say for certain. But my SolarEdge system works just fine with FIOS. This is how most internet connected "smart home" style devices work (though most are wireless -- aka air interface -- which adds a few additional complications).

-Jonathan.

Comment

I would bet money that the issue is that your Wi-Fi SSID (wireless network name) has changed because you have a new router with FIOS. If you go into the config of your FIOS router and set the SSID to the same as your previous one wireless network and set it with the same password, the SunPower system will connect again.

If you can't do that, you will need to tell your SunPower system the new network SSID and password. I don't have a SunPower system so I wouldn't know how to do that...

This is one of the downsides of using Wi-Fi for monitoring which is why installers like the Cellular option with the SolarEdge systems. They don't have to worry about the owners making any changes to their Wi-Fi network.
            https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

I have a sunpower system. They put the monitor box in my garage and ran the wire to my router through the ceiling and wall. I would think they set you up the same way. I changed my modem router and just moved the plug from the old one to the new one.

Comment

Working...
              X