X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wavelet8
    • Mar 2019

Interesting: thank you for mentioning the chem Resu. I haven't seen that hardware yet. You are using it for backup only and do not actually perform Any load shedding on the grid? What happens when it's fully charged from the 8 solar panels? Isn't that wasteful or are you diverting the power annually to charge a solar vehicle or something else?
    massachusetts just started their storage incentive program, are you able to take advantage of that to offset the cost somewhat?

Comment

• willow1
      • Mar 2018

The battery is fed from the 29 panels via the Storedge inverter. It sits there at full capacity and is only discharged via the subpanel if there is an outage (or I simulate one). At least I know the battery is at full capacity if there's an outage. I don't have an EV, but doubt I would charge it from the battery even if I did. There are no TOU lower rates in Massachusetts at night, so would prefer to maximize netmetering and stick to backup from the battery. The 8 panels with Enphase microinverters feed AC only via a combiner box just in front of the Eversource production meter. It's a bit of a hassle to have both Solaredge productio monitoring as well as Enphase production monitoring to look at, but can see both on my phone at any time.

Comment

• Wavelet8
        • Mar 2019

Sorry, your system setup makes absolutely no sense to me? I expected your 29 panels to be tied to the grid to offset your house power consumption for netmetering and the 8 other panels to be tied to charge your backup battery system for when you loose power which should be infrequent. Are you sure it's setup that way? I have 34 panels 360w and I make over 7mwh a year. RESU10H, which has a usable capacity of 9.3 kWh. Is currently the only one for sale in the U.S. I'm going to go have a beer and think about this some more.

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Wavelet8
          Sorry, your system setup makes absolutely no sense to me? I expected your 29 panels to be tied to the grid to offset your house power consumption for netmetering and the 8 other panels to be tied to charge your backup battery system for when you loose power which should be infrequent. Are you sure it's setup that way? I have 34 panels 360w and I make over 7mwh a year. RESU10H, which has a usable capacity of 9.3 kWh. Is currently the only one for sale in the U.S. I'm going to go have a beer and think about this some more.
          The resu10h is DC coupled and gets power directly from the optimizers. The solaredge inverter is tied to the grid and does offset his power consumption via net metering along with the 8 additional micro inverter modules.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Wavelet8
            • Mar 2019

No. He said that the 29 panels feeds the inverter which feeds the sub-panel for the battery backup system. It only discharges in case of power failures. The 8 panel enphase system feeds the grid? This seems reversed to me.

Comment

• willow1
              • Mar 2018

Butch is right as far as I understand the Storedge configuration. I was originally just pointing out the additional panels with microinverters allowed us to go over 10kW without a separate smaller Solaredge inverter.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

No. He said that the 29 panels feeds the inverter which feeds the sub-panel for the battery backup system. It only discharges in case of power failures. The 8 panel enphase system feeds the grid? This seems reversed to me.
                The 29 modules feed the DC buss on the Solaredge storEdge and the battery is in the DC buss. When the battery is full which he said it is most of the time, then all the power goes to the inverter which sends it to the grid.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by willow1
                  ...... was not able to bury propane tanks for a generator due to wetland conservation issues, and didn't want to run a natural gas line just for a generator.
                  Diesel is another viable option, What are you expecting to run during a power outage ?
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• willow1
                    • Mar 2018

Subpanel covers refrigerator, oil burner/hot water/baseboard heating, garage doors, security system, outlets for lights, tv, internet, chargers etc. Got tired of throwing food out of the refrigerator during even short power outages. Only expect to have backup for a day or two on an extended outage unless solar power returns and can recharge battery. Unlikely in winter if panels are snow covered. If an outage lasts more than a day or two we would likely have to leave the house, but could do so with less stress than before.

Comment

• Wavelet8
                      • Mar 2019

Ok, so the confusion is just in the written text.
                      but look at it this way, I have 360w panels x 34 panels= 12,240 watt system for the 10 kw output limit for the largest system I could purchase without reduction due to netmeter rules in Massachusetts.

You have 37 x 350 watt panels = 12950 watts? 29 x 350 = 10150 watts solaredge + 8 x 350 = 2800 watts enphase. By adding the enphase system haw are you able to purchase a larger system and still get around or maintain netmetering?

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

Sorry, your system setup makes absolutely no sense to me? I expected your 29 panels to be tied to the grid to offset your house power consumption for netmetering and the 8 other panels to be tied to charge your backup battery system for when you loose power which should be infrequent. ...... I'm going to go have a beer and think about this some more.
                        All his panels are tied to the grid. The Solaredge only charges the batteries when they need charging which is infrequently. Most of the time all has panels are selling to the grid after serving the house loads. It makes sense to me. Reread the thread while you are having a beer and test your assumptions again.
                        Last edited by Ampster; 07-22-2019, 04:49 PM.
                        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

You have 37 x 350 watt panels = 12950 watts? 29 x 350 = 10150 watts solaredge + 8 x 350 = 2800 watts enphase. By adding the enphase system haw are you able to purchase a larger system and still get around or maintain netmetering?
                          he has a 7.6kW SolarEdge inverter with a battery AND 8 enphase inverters of some size less than 350w each (maybe IQ7+ or 290w each, so 2.32kw)
                          so 7.6kW + 2.32kW = 9.92kW which is less than 10kW limit..

Comment

• willow1
                            • Mar 2018

Butch, thanks. I wasn't sure how my installer met the 10kW limit, but you are right about the Solaredge inverter and Enphase microinverters. They are IQ7-60-2-INT each.

Comment

Working...