X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Land
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250

You Sir, have made a bold claim. It's up to you to prove to us it works efficiently..

Sure, I can put gear onto a drill rod, and generate power, but what is the added load onto the drill rod? I could just bolt a 2nd alternator onto it's engine, and harvest power whenever the engine is running. But it's not "free energy" Something has to make the drill rod turn.
    The adapter between the Kelly bushing fits into the square drive of the rotary table, and is thus rotated by the rotary table. It's do-able lots of power there to turn stuff including generators. Fracking sites have1 or more Utility Meters, theres your feed to grid. So it's not free energy its more like wasted energy being utilized. It was just a thought.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Paul Land

The adapter between the Kelly bushing fits into the square drive of the rotary table, and is thus rotated by the rotary table. It's do-able lots of power there to turn stuff including generators. Fracking sites have1 or more Utility Meters, theres your feed to grid. So it's not free energy its more like wasted energy being utilized. It was just a thought.
      It's important that you try to understand, that while there may be a 12,000 HP motor spinning the shaft, any power you harvest, is not free, it it provided by the 12,000 hp motor. You may think your 5KW generator being spun by 15 of those HP are free, but you are merely increasing the load on the engine, it's not "free"

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

It's important that you try to understand, that while there may be a 12,000 HP motor spinning the shaft, any power you harvest, is not free, it it provided by the 12,000 hp motor. You may think your 5KW generator being spun by 15 of those HP are free, but you are merely increasing the load on the engine, it's not "free"
        He is an idiot Mike. Why didn't you make the ban pernament?
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Paul Land
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2018

Yes, Back when i was a kid I would spend summers in PA with my uncle and I would work at his company Tidewater shale drilling " No OSHA" and we would work around ideas about PTOs to tap.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Sounds like Paul doesn't understand it's not possible to violate the 1st and second laws of Thermodynamics. I assumed even he knew that when I wrote the second paragraph to my first post to this thread. Now I'm not so sure.

Comment

• Paul Land
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Sounds like Paul doesn't understand it's not possible to violate the 1st and second laws of Thermodynamics. I assumed even he knew that when I wrote the second paragraph to my first post to this thread. Now I'm not so sure.
              Paul lived for 5 weeks as a exchange student in Rotorua New Zealand 1986-1987 an got an extensive tour of Geo Facility. One nice thing being an American back then. The Americas cup racer from U.S. was at the north island went on that too! No I didn't sail it and your right don't know nothing about therm-dynam.
              Last edited by Paul Land; 03-06-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Paul Land

Paul lived for 5 weeks as a exchange student in Rotorua New Zealand 1986-1987 an got an extensive tour of Geo Facility. One nice thing being an American back then. The Americas cup racer from U.S. was at the north island went on that too! No I didn't sail it and your right don't know nothing about therm-dynam.
                Yea, I still see (and smell) the geothermal plants I designed equipment into in my sleep, and smile when I occasionally drive in that area.

However, and in general, if I don't have enough knowledge of a subject to discuss it intelligently, I try to remember (with very limited success) to keep my mouth shut (or fingers still), and so maybe making my ignorance (and hubris) perhaps a bit less obvious to all the world.

If you (or anyone) pulls additional power off a shaft that was not part of the original application, unless you (or anyone) then adds nough power to maintain the power to the original application, you may run into trouble.

If you think that you will get power for nothing, then you believe in perpetual motion machines and that Entropy does not increase. The word, BTW is "Thermodynamics", and you'll be violating the 2d law thereof.

Many, maybe most/all applications have some reserve power capacity, but addons are a tricky business. Pulling small amounts of shaft power may be possible and so using a bit of excess capacity may be possible (but iffy), but you'll still put more energy or work into the shaft (and use more fuel).

Comment

Working...