X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Superman_006
    Perhaps things have changed thing and someone has figured it out. But I was always told (and my understanding) that only DC could be measured bidirectional with the clip on CT's and that AC current could not and it would be measured as RMS value, and on that there is no directional sense with AC (alternating current) with only the use of a clamp meter. However my knowledge would be 15+ years old though my Fluke meter says bi-directional on it but it also only works on DC. When I reverse the clamp I get the same reading when dealing with AC.
    No transformer coupling can measure DC current, a hall effect device can when clamped on. The
    hall may also be used for AC current. A 4 wire resistor or shut can be used to translate any current
    to an equivalent voltage for readout.

An AC ammeter of any type cannot tell you power, power factor, or power direction of flow. If the
    current signal is combined with the VOLTAGE in the circuit, all of these factors may be measured
    by considering the phase angle between current and voltage. Any wattmeter will have 3 or 4
    terminals to accomplish this. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Superman_006
      • Mar 2018

I'm 100% sure that you know far more than me relating to anything solar. The link in your signature took me to you PV output. I'm looking thru the manual now of TED Pros this technology is far advanced than a CT sensor. The transmitting unit being connected to phase A or B along with the CT's is actually what the device is using to measure direction of AC. The red dot/ direction of the CTs is for the polarity of the magnets inside the clamps to face the same way to match your phase to A / B (L1/L2) on the line side which is connected to your bus bar thru the breaker. The box would be using data from both to figure out (+/-) by the changes in pulse. Very cool product.

It looks like the sunpower PV supervisors uses the similar technology but the unlike the TED the data is processed offsite. It looks like the software has terrible reviews unlike TED Pro which I would think throwing Wi-Fi and internet connection speeds into the equation could do that. Looks like a lot of complaints similar to as soleremy's as well as "communication error" , server issues and data being anywhere from 20 mins to a few hours behind.

SMA Sunnyboy 3000TL-US, 9 REC320NP, Sense Solar

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Superman_006
        The link in your signature took me to you PV output. I'm looking thru the manual now of TED Pros this technology is far advanced than a CT sensor. The transmitting unit being connected to phase A or B along with the CT's is actually what the device is using to measure direction of AC. The red dot/ direction of the CTs is for the polarity of the magnets inside the clamps to face the same way to match your phase to A / B (L1/L2) on the line side which is connected to your bus bar thru the breaker.
        I wonder who you are responding to? TED connects to the line voltage, so if the CTs are properly
        placed, it can detect phase angle to measure power. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...