X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ginozor
    • Jan 2019

About parallel wiring panel

Hello , I'm Giorgio from Italy, I have a question about the connection of several solar panels in parallel,
    suppose I have a panel at 45 degrees 18v that generates 2A and a panel at 0 degrees that generates 3A connected in parallel with diode schottky,
    my mppt will receive 2A + 3 A 18v?
    Last edited by Ginozor; 01-18-2019, 06:53 PM.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Happy to answer your question once you are able to finish asking it.
    In general you can put panels in parallel when connected to an MPPT type input as long as the voltages of the two panels are within 5%. In some cases (three or more panels) you may need to put fuses in each panel connection.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Ginozor
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by inetdog
      Happy to answer your question once you are able to finish asking it.
      In general you can put panels in parallel when connected to an MPPT type input as long as the voltages of the two panels are within 5%. In some cases (three or more panels) you may need to put fuses in each panel connection.
      Hello , I'm Giorgio from Italy, I have a question about the connection of several solar panels in parallel,
      suppose I have a panel at 45 degrees 18v that generates 2A and a panel at 0 degrees that generates 3A connected in parallel with diode schottky,
      my mppt will receive 2A + 3 A 18v?

sorry but the forum dont take degrees simbol
      Last edited by Ginozor; 01-18-2019, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

If they are identical panels, you do not need the diode. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Ginozor
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by bcroe
          If they are identical panels, you do not need the diode. Bruce Roe
          No the panels have the same vmp and the same voc with different power , but my question is , will the current add up even if different ?

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Panels in parallel = Amps add together you will be sending 5A @ 18V

Problem you have 18V panels. Wired in parallel, you still only have 18V and a MPPT controller will need about 25 or 30V to be able to properly charge a 12V battery

Please check the operating manual for what voltage is effective with your controller. I would suggest a regular PWM controller with 18V panels is good for 12V batteries
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ginozor
              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
              Panels in parallel = Amps add together you will be sending 5A @ 18V

Problem you have 18V panels. Wired in parallel, you still only have 18V and a MPPT controller will need about 25 or 30V to be able to properly charge a 12V battery

Please check the operating manual for what voltage is effective with your controller. I would suggest a regular PWM controller with 18V panels is good for 12V batteries
              Hi mike ,

i use this mppt (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/E-Bi...39344c4dINsa2J) for charging a lithium pack 13s 8p for my solar bike

But all panels aren't in the same degrees i only ask if the amps add togheter with diode schottky that prevent backflow

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

Originally posted by Ginozor

Hi mike ,

i use this mppt (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/E-Bi...39344c4dINsa2J) for charging a lithium pack 13s 8p for my solar bike

But all panels aren't in the same degrees i only ask if the amps add togheter with diode schottky that prevent backflow

The different amount of sunlight hitting the panel will have the greatest effect on the Imp value, and very little effect on the Vmp. So your two panels will still have very close to the same voltage (close enough that either an MPPT or a PWM controller will work just fine with the parallel combination.
                As Mike said, you do not need the diodes.
                You add the amps at any particular moment together, but because of the angle difference the output of the two panels will not peak at the same time, so you will never actually see 5A at any single time. The peak of the sum of the currents will not be with full output from each panel, more likely at a time when it is equally distant between the first panel peak and the second panel peak. When you plot the current output the combined current will not be the sum of the individual peaks, but the output curve will be much wider, leading to a higher total power (area under the curve.)
                Last edited by inetdog; 01-19-2019, 09:11 AM.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Ginozor
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by inetdog

The different amount of sunlight hitting the panel will have the greatest effect on the Imp value, and very little effect on the Vmp. So your two panels will still have very close to the same voltage (close enough that either an MPPT or a PWM controller will work just fine with the parallel combination.
                  As Mike said, you do not need the diodes.
                  You add the amps at any particular moment together, but because of the angle difference the output of the two panels will not peak at the same time, so you will never actually see 5A at any single time. The peak of the sum of the currents will not be with full output from each panel, more likely at a time when it is equally distant between the first panel peak and the second panel peak. When you plot the current output the combined current will not be the sum of the individual peaks, but the output curve will be much wider, leading to a higher total power (area under the curve.)
                  Thx thx thx

but I'm not clear about the curve area, I hypothesized the voltages measured with the meter

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

Panels in light, pretty much produce voltage according to their temperature. As the brightness goes up, the current (amps) increases. If a panel was overloaded past it's Vmp point, it's voltage would rise back to the Vmp. Generally, diodes are NOT used with parallel panels under any conditions.

Just say No to Diodes
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...