X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan_Raleigh
    • Jan 2019

Friendly suggestion for those installing an Enphase system...

I installed a 22 panel M250 system about 4 years ago. The M250 was used. Recently, two panels stopped producing. Upon inspection, a squirrel had decided to build a nest and start chewing up wires. Obviously, this isn't a warranty issue. I was surprised to find out how difficult it is to source M250s. Enphase is not helpful if the replacement will not be warranty. I strongly advise those folks that are building a system to buy 10-15% of replacement investors up front. Or you'll end up having to build new strings down the road if you have a situation that won't be covered under warranty. I was able to source (2) M250s, but I think 1-2 years down the road, these will be impossible to find. For some reason, the M215s are all over the place.
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

Not a bad idea Ryan, I was thinking of picking up an M215 or two for my own system that I put up almost five years ago, they are really cheap. Glad you found a couple of M250s.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Are there any generic micro inverters that could replace an Emphase M215 or M250 or are you stuck staying with the standard equipment

Comment

• Ben25
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2014

I've replace quite a few that have been chewed up by squirrels. Great idea to have a few on hand! I was able to source them easily, but that was a couple years ago. If you want something that plugs into the trunk cable, you have to use enphase. Could cut a section out and replace with something else if need be.

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Ben25
          I've replace quite a few that have been chewed up by squirrels. Great idea to have a few on hand! I was able to source them easily, but that was a couple years ago. If you want something that plugs into the trunk cable, you have to use enphase. Could cut a section out and replace with something else if need be.
          Are the cables relatively easy to replace/repair?
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Ben25
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2014

The trunk cables are. They sell splice kits for them. If the AC leads on the microinverter are chewed up, forget about it. On the DC side, I was able to replace a couple MC4 connectors, but some were chewed too close to the microinverter.

Originally posted by littleharbor

Are the cables relatively easy to replace/repair?

Comment

• JSchnee21
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2017

My installer offered "critter guard" installation -- for free. I took it. They are not the most attractive thing (essentially just heavy wire mesh that mounts around the entire array to keep birds and squirrels from nesting under the panels.

Search for "SnapNRack Array Edge Screen Critter Guard" and you'll get the idea. So far it seems to be working. It does trap some leaves at the bottom of the array which I'll have to have cleaned out at some point.

Comment

• JSchnee21
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2017

This is the contractor they used, and some photo of their work. All in all they seemed to do a very good job. I just wish the product was a little more attractive.

(no www)solarpestsolution.com/gallery/

here in the North East given all of the squirrels we have, I'd say these are a must.

Comment

• tyab
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2016

If you find yourself having to splice the Enphase cable, that splice kit they sell is expensive. What I did (when I failed to measure twice and cut once) was use a submersible well pump spice kit. Everbilt was the brand and it supported 14-10 gauge.I bought it at the local electrical supply (lots of wells where I live) but some big box stores carry them. They are UL listed. You will need a proper crimp tool and heat gun - that heat shrink is really thick. Retail pricing should be about $6.

Comment

• Ben25
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2014

We do offer the SnapNRack critter guard at an extra cost. Sometimes it's not worth it, sometimes it is. Many of our customers opt out of it, some feel foolish and add it after the fact. I recommend it, but I can't twist your arm.

Originally posted by JSchnee21
                    My installer offered "critter guard" installation -- for free. I took it. They are not the most attractive thing (essentially just heavy wire mesh that mounts around the entire array to keep birds and squirrels from nesting under the panels.

Search for "SnapNRack Array Edge Screen Critter Guard" and you'll get the idea. So far it seems to be working. It does trap some leaves at the bottom of the array which I'll have to have cleaned out at some point.

Comment

• Paul Land
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Ben25
                      I have DIY 2"x4"x12' boxed chicken wire squirrel guard it cost me $16.00 for my array. I just tack wire to same length of wood and bend at right angle and stitch with wire and slip off wood template
                      Last edited by Paul Land; 01-14-2019, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...