Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flexible Solar Panel Backing plate to prevent overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexible Solar Panel Backing plate to prevent overheating?

Hi,

Bought a Flexible solar panel, but the seller didn't send the Backing plate which was meant to come with it and has gone AWOL

I can't seem to find backing plate (to protect the panel from overheating in the summer) on the web, can anyone recommend a place to buy them from? I am in the UK.

The Panel is
    1060*277*3mm and will be mounted on a wooden shed, which will get hot in the summer, so looking for something to protect it.

I can build my own, but need your input as to what would be the best material and design to prevent heat getting to it from underneath.

Any help appreciated.

Bummer

Any idea what the magic backing plate was ? Can you mount it a couple inches above the roof, and allow air circulation to keep it cool ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Bummer

Any idea what the magic backing plate was ? Can you mount it a couple inches above the roof, and allow air circulation to keep it cool ?

Hi,

Nope, no pictures. I've read elsewhere about it maybe being a plastic Twinwall Polycarbonate Sheet.
      It would need to be solid, as we get a lot of windy weather and i'd be concerned about the flexible panels thickness being compromised if the backing plate was not solid.

Might just but a sheet and cut it up, but just thought i'd ask here first

Comment

Originally posted by sharpharp View Post
        Hi,

Bought a Flexible solar panel, but the seller didn't send the Backing plate which was meant to come with it and has gone AWOL

I can't seem to find backing plate (to protect the panel from overheating in the summer) on the web, can anyone recommend a place to buy them from? I am in the UK.

The Panel is
        1060*277*3mm and will be mounted on a wooden shed, which will get hot in the summer, so looking for something to protect it.

I can build my own, but need your input as to what would be the best material and design to prevent heat getting to it from underneath.

Any help appreciated.
        The shed gets hot because of the sun shining on it. The part of the shed roof under your panel will not be directly heated by the sun.
        What you need to do, as referenced by Mike, is allow the heat created by the sun on the panel to be transferred to the ambient air. Just do not make the backing plate of a thermal insulator and allow for air circulation (anything above a 6" vertical gap does not improve performance noticeably.)

SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
          The shed gets hot because of the sun shining on it. The part of the shed roof under your panel will not be directly heated by the sun.
          What you need to do, as referenced by Mike, is allow the heat created by the sun on the panel to be transferred to the ambient air. Just do not make the backing plate of a thermal insulator and allow for air circulation (anything above a 6" vertical gap does not improve performance noticeably.)
          Where have you been ? You OK ? I feel like I'm reading something from a ghost. Welcome back.

Comment

Working...
          X