Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roofing materials before new solar installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roofing materials before new solar installation?

Going to have my roof re-shingled before getting a solar PV system installed. Is there any special requirements or materials I should ask for or upgrade to? Going with the Unirack mount system. I dont know anything about roofing, should I be asking for extra underlay, or a certain quality shingle, or an extra membrane under the shingles???

Just don't skimp on quality, either in materials or installer. A roof is the last place to cheap out in home improvements - doubly so or more when chasing a leak under an array is considered.

I had new paper and some minor repair done under concrete shingles when I had my array done. While having that done, the roofer also set the posts for the racking per the solar vendor's drawings. Solar installers don't necessarily do roofing work as well as roofing professionals and vice versa.

Comment

Hi coolslidder,

There are many points of view on roofing. While I agree, having the roofer set the posts would be ideal. I had hoped to have my roofer do this as well. I also got an new roof just prior to having my array installed. But in the end, it was going to be too much money and too much coordination to have the roofer install all of the brackets for the racking per the solar company's spec. My array has something like 60+ L-brackets (I forget the exact number). It took the solar installers (2.5 FTE) most of a day just to measure and install all of the brackets and racking using the cheap and fast caulk and lag approach. Then, at least where I live, there's a township inspection to make sure the racking and supporting roof and trusses are structurally sound.

In my case, it was a better value (though perhaps not a better decision) to bundle the roof installation with and through my solar installer. This way it became part of the necessary site prep which was needed for the solar install and included as part of the Federal rebate. While I prefer to do things as thoroughly as possible, I cannot afford to "gold plate" every home improvement project.

How great the roof and flashing are is another question. In my case, it is actually two separate companies (one roofing, one solar) that work together. So here's hoping. I did upgrade to a mid to high grade Timberline asphalt architectural shingle. The roofer also replaced rotted chipboard as needed, replaced the underlayment, ridge vents, skylights, and added some sort of ice dam protection (an additional underlayment near the gutters) as required for the Timberline warranty for whatever that is worth.

When you're shopping for roofer quotes ask them and see. But, I would expect that all of their warranties will be voided by the solar installation.

-Jonathan

Comment

IMHO - If you are getting the roof stripped have a layer of ice and water shield installed under the entire area of the roof, It will self seal any roof penetrations. Definitely not a subsitute for properly roof flashing but a darn good backup.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
          IMHO - If you are getting the roof stripped have a layer of ice and water shield installed under the entire area of the roof, It will self seal any roof penetrations. Definitely not a subsitute for properly roof flashing but a darn good backup.
          I agree, make sure they are quoting and installing ice and water shield over the entire roof, not just at the valleys and roof edges. It is much more durable than good ol' tar paper and is a good extra protection - especially if you are in a northern climate. It's the belt and suspenders approach to a good roof.

Comment

Roofing is indeed a very important factor if we are going to attach a solar panel. It needs to be proper and tough. So, we first did a roofing renovation from Home Quality Remodeling ***deleted link*** and then attached a solar panel to it. As, I've seen it wear off by many, therefore, some expenses had to be taken.

While we welcome the sharing of info, advertising your business in your initial posts, is RUDE and will not be allowed. Moderator
            Last edited by Mike90250; 03-30-2019, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X