X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coolslidder
    • Dec 2018

SolarEdge vs APsystems

I have received proposals from two different companies to install solar panels on my house. The prices are pretty much equivalent, but the equipment is different.

Vendor A: 7kW system: SolarEdge Inverter and Optimizers, Canadian Solar 350 W panels - cost: 17,550
    Vendor B: 7.2kW system: APsystems microinverters, Canadian Solar 300 W panels - cost: $17,000

Which one would you go with?
  • Paul Land
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by coolslidder
    I have received proposals from two different companies to install solar panels on my house. The prices are pretty much equivalent, but the equipment is different.

Vendor A: 7kW system: SolarEdge Inverter and Optimizers, Canadian Solar 350 W panels - cost: 17,550
    Vendor B: 7.2kW system: APsystems microinverters, Canadian Solar 300 W panels - cost: $17,000

Which one would you go with?
    Pick Vendor with the best track record you should have minimum of 3 bids on apples to apples system. Ask for 5 references and go see projects up and running 1yo- 5yo and older try to talk to vendors customers if there are willing to. This Rule applies to any Const, Project.
    Last edited by Paul Land; 12-19-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

If you have no shade issues - skip the microinverters..
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• coolslidder
        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
        If you have no shade issues - skip the microinverters..
        Why is that? What if I might have shade if some neighbors trees grow bigger or something? Shade isn't an issue now but maybe it will in 5-10 years?

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Why is that? What if I might have shade if some neighbors trees grow bigger or something? Shade isn't an issue now but maybe it will in 5-10 years?
          Buy (or download a free version of): " Solar Power Your Home for Dummies". Your questions will be answered there.

Comment

• Paul Land
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2018

Micros are the way to go if you got the money.
            Whats better then 20 power centers and you have a problem with 1 easy to find and replace. It's completely "Plug-N-Play"

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Paul Land

Micros are the way to go if you got the money.
              Whats better then 20 power centers and you have a problem with 1 easy to find and replace. It's completely "Plug-N-Play"
              It might be plug and play but the up front cost doesn't make sense unless you need them. You also increase the potential equipment shutdown by now having 20 points of failure instead of 1.

Shade is the best reason for micro's or optimizers otherwise a string inverter is easy and lower cost.

Comment

• Paul Land
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by SunEagle

It might be plug and play but the up front cost doesn't make sense unless you need them. You also increase the potential equipment shutdown by now having 20 points of failure instead of 1.

Shade is the best reason for micro's or optimizers otherwise a string inverter is easy and lower cost.
                Exactly. We made up 12 panel/micro station in lab with designed in simulated shorts triggered with PLCs. As a diagnostic exercise for students. It was fun simulating single and multi-failure.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

There are plenty of reasons to avoid micros if you can. Here using them would require burying
                  about 4 times as much copper for 700 feet, instead of utilizing the existing wire. Having the potential
                  radio interference spread all over half an acre instead of at one manageable location would not make
                  me happy. And, and, ... Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Paul Land

Exactly. We made up 12 panel/micro station in lab with designed in simulated shorts triggered with PLCs. As a diagnostic exercise for students. It was fun simulating single and multi-failure.
                    If the micro's are easy to get to (like on a ground mount) I would say at least it could be a plug and play. But imagine if those micro's are under panels up on the roof and you have to get to one in the middle of the array. That would be some work to replace.

Lab tests are usually a little easy to maintain since they are not really a permanent installation. They are really just gathering data or training someone on the system.

A real life installation can be a little more frustrating to trouble shoot and repair.

Comment

• Paul Land
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by SunEagle

If the micro's are easy to get to (like on a ground mount) I would say at least it could be a plug and play. But imagine if those micro's are under panels up on the roof and you have to get to one in the middle of the array. That would be some work to replace.

Lab tests are usually a little easy to maintain since they are not really a permanent installation. They are really just gathering data or training someone on the system.

A real life installation can be a little more frustrating to trouble shoot and repair.
                      I agree 100% with on ground/rack heres a 45 degree roof with 33 m.i.

45 roof.jpg

Comment

• JSchnee21
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2017

Definitely SolarEdge over APsystems. But be sure to choose the best SolarEdge installer in your area (one with a good track record and a lot of experience with SolarEdge). Don't go with an installer who doesn't have much experience with SolarEdge. If you really want Micros (not sure why you would) then go with Enphase.

As others have pointed out, if you have zero shade (no and in he future) then a conventional string inverter might also be an option -- but if your local code requires rapid shutdown (if it doesn't it will soon) then go with SolarEdge.

Also consider installing consumption monitoring and Ethernet to the inverter while you're at it

Comment

Working...