X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Julisu
    • Dec 2018

One PV System Multiple Houses

Hi. I was wondering if I have one on-grid PV system and want to connect it with two interconnection points at two houses, would this technically work? The reason being is that the energy generated by PV system is completely used for self-consumption, therefore no export to the grid is allowed. Thanks.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Julisu
    Hi. I was wondering if I have one on-grid PV system and want to connect it with two interconnection points at two houses, would this technically work? The reason being is that the energy generated by PV system is completely used for self-consumption, therefore no export to the grid is allowed. Thanks.
    What did your POCO say when you asked them that same question ?

Comment

• Julisu
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.

What did your POCO say when you asked them that same question ?
      Sorry by POCO, do you mean utility company? We do not involve utility company since it is for self-consumption and the regulation is not really clear. FYI, the houses are side by side and they have a shared meter from the utility company which is located quite far from the houses. However since we are using a zero export controller to prevent any power from PV going to the grid, it would be more advantageous to have independent interconnection point at each house. I was just wondering if this is technically okay.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Sorry by POCO, do you mean utility company? We do not involve utility company since it is for self-consumption and the regulation is not really clear. FYI, the houses are side by side and they have a shared meter from the utility company which is located quite far from the houses. However since we are using a zero export controller to prevent any power from PV going to the grid, it would be more advantageous to have independent interconnection point at each house. I was just wondering if this is technically okay.
        POCO == POwer COmpany.

One meter ? One electrical panel ?

Most anything is possible, including damage/to the dwelling or its inhabitants.

Call the company that installed the array or consult/hire a licensed electrician.

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

If I understand your subsequent clarifications you could correct one non export grid tie PV system to two side by side houses on the same meter. Not knowing all the details of your installation I cannot go into much detail about how you would do that because it depends on a lot of factors. I am also not clear what your mean by "two interconnections or independent interconnections"? As others have said it may be useful to consult an electrician as far as the details. The local building codes will determine how it should be done.. . Where is this project located?.
          Last edited by Ampster; 12-17-2018, 12:27 AM.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Regardless of what gear you obtain, if you are connecting it to a Grid, you generally have to have the utility approve the gear being connected, and often obtain a electrical inspect from the Grid owner or the city inspector. If there is a meter, some utility is billing you and you have to have their approval to connect generating gear to their grid. They have the right to approve gear you connect, even if you think it's programed to not feed back into the grid.

As long as the utility has given you permission to turn on the gear they approved, it does not matter how many houses, sheds, barns you have on your side of their meter. As long as your cables are large enough to prevent nuisance trips from overvoltage, and you don't overload the bus bars in your meter panel, your should be good.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Mike90250
              Regardless of what gear you obtain, if you are connecting it to a Grid, you generally have to have the utility approve the gear being connected, and often obtain a electrical inspect from the Grid owner or the city inspector. If there is a meter, some utility is billing you and you have to have their approval to connect generating gear to their grid. They have the right to approve gear you connect, even if you think it's programed to not feed back into the grid.
              If I understood the original post, he said that it would not be configured to export to the grid. At least in California I know of no restriction about using a battery powered inverter behind the meter for self consumption. That may be different in the jurisdiction where the original poster is planning his installation. The right to generate electricity is a natural extension of common law in the US and Great Brittain. To be clear it would require a building permit and compliance with NEC and/or local codes.
              Last edited by Ampster; 12-17-2018, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Ampster
                .... At least in California I know of no restriction about using a battery powered inverter behind the meter for self consumption.....
                AFIK, in USA, when you connect a device capable of generation to the grid, it does not matter if you intend to not export. You are still subject to utility approval of the gear. You may not have to get a new billing plan, but do have to get approval.

You, sir, are playing with words and attempting to lure the OP into doing something that can get him into serious trouble. Not sure what you agenda is, or why you want to see the OP screwed. Enjoy a weeks vacation from the forum.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• citabria
                  • Oct 2016

Here is a typical problem I see when sharing of utilities. How do you measure the consumption for each of the two houses? I see this problem where I live. Two structures share propane off of a single tank. When It comes to refilling the tank I get a...a ho hum.. from the other tenant.
                  The two structures also share the same septic system, this will certainly be an issue of who pays for what when the tank needs to be pumped or rebuilt, because the owners have never had the tank serviced. They do not even know where the septic tank is located.
                  If the two houses do not have individual power meters, then there is no incentive to conserve energy by either party. And that certainly will be a hot topic come the monthly bill.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by citabria
                    Here is a typical problem I see when sharing of utilities. How do you measure the consumption for each of the two houses? I see this problem where I live. Two structures share propane off of a single tank. When It comes to refilling the tank I get a...a ho hum.. from the other tenant.
                    The two structures also share the same septic system, this will certainly be an issue of who pays for what when the tank needs to be pumped or rebuilt, because the owners have never had the tank serviced. They do not even know where the septic tank is located.
                    If the two houses do not have individual power meters, then there is no incentive to conserve energy by either party. And that certainly will be a hot topic come the monthly bill.
                    As you seem to say, that's always a situation with shared utilities.

What have you done to get input information from your POCO with respect to your questions ?

Comment

• Paul Land
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.

As you seem to say, that's always a situation with shared utilities.

What have you done to get input information from your POCO with respect to your questions ?
                      Who owns or rents 2nd House? will power be free to 2nd house or do you need 2 meters? how many total sq. ft. of living space?

Comment

• citabria
                        • Oct 2016

I am off-grid with the two occupied structures. However, I do work for the local Town's utility department that oversees water and sewer operations, so we deal with shared water and sewer services by requiring the offending party to come into compliance with City Ordinances which requires separate service connections. There are some exemptions such as (trailer parks) which have a master meters feeding the developments. I'll end there as I don't want to hijack the op's post.

Comment

• kitban12
                          • Dec 2018

I am putting together a solar installation design for a multi-family building. How do you let two units that have two service points from the grid share a single system? How do you enable both units to benefit from the solar electricity generated from the system?

Comment

• Ampster
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by kitban12

I am putting together a solar installation design for a multi-family building. How do you let two units that have two service points from the grid share a single system? How do you enable both units to benefit from the solar electricity generated from the system?
                            Where would this proposed system be located?
                            In California there is a type of net metering known as virtual net metering.Depending on the situation it may be called NEM aggregation. For meters in the same building.the utility combines the net metering results on your bill.
                            If your question is about how to do that physically, the answers is it is not possible. As far as I know you would have to combine the electrical service or separate the solar generation into two systems. As noted above, some jurisdictions don't allow you to have one meter for two occupants so combining the service would be prohibited in that jurisdiction..
                            Last edited by Ampster; 12-26-2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• jflorey2
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by kitban12
                              I am putting together a solar installation design for a multi-family building. How do you let two units that have two service points from the grid share a single system?
                              You install two systems. Note that they can look exactly like one system, and no one will know the difference. Array looks the same. If you use microinverters then even the inverters are the same. For a small string based system you'll need two inverters. But for a large string based system (>10kW) you'll need two anyway.
                              How do you enable both units to benefit from the solar electricity generated from the system?
                              See above.

Comment

Working...