Code department giving me a hard time ... need advice on first grid tie installation

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Land
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by sdold

Paul,

I won't call you stupid, dangerous or wrong, but please slow down, take a breather and read and learn for a few weeks before giving advice. You are often shooting from the hip with information that is tangential to the conversation and/or counter to good engineering practices. Examples are referencing engineering data for the mounting hardware when the discussion is clearly about the underlying structure, and then throwing grounding methods and even thermal loading into the mix, and then stubbornly digging your heels in when several people call you on it and ask you to stop. We'd like you to hang around but please resist the urge to answer questions that are out of your area of expertise.

Thanks.
    Iam Breathing slower now after the BOOT I will only post my work-arounds and how they worked for me. no more advice there only three experts here qualified to post. no more posts just one mans opinion and real life hacks.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Paul Land

Iam Breathing slower now after the BOOT I will only post my work-arounds and how they worked for me. no more advice there only three experts here qualified to post. no more posts just one mans opinion and real life hacks.
      A man's got to know his limitations. Opinions and real life hacks can still be dangerous.

Comment

• Paul Land
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.

A man's got to know his limitations. Opinions and real life hacks can still be dangerous.
        ah-men

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Nothing wrong with putting a capacitor across an AC source if you carefully choose the capacitor size (microfarads and volts) and capacitor type (not a polarized electrolytic, for example).
          Some capacitors are perfectly happy to withstand a particular DC voltage, with the possibility of some smaller amplitude hum current imposed on that, but not an AC waveform whose peak value is close to the nominal capacitor design voltage.
          Other capacitors, such as motor run capacitors, are designed to take full voltage excursions (possibly with limited current) at 60 Hz without damage.
          A randomly chosen capacitor with the right voltage limit and a lot of microfarads could indeed destroy itself quickly based on the current or the constant polarity reversals. Too large a capacitor will indeed draw enough current to trip a breaker.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Paul Land
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2018

Originally posted by inetdog
            Nothing wrong with putting a capacitor across an AC source if you carefully choose the capacitor size (microfarads and volts) and capacitor type (not a polarized electrolytic, for example).
            Some capacitors are perfectly happy to withstand a particular DC voltage, with the possibility of some smaller amplitude hum current imposed on that, but not an AC waveform whose peak value is close to the nominal capacitor design voltage.
            Other capacitors, such as motor run capacitors, are designed to take full voltage excursions (possibly with limited current) at 60 Hz without damage.
            A randomly chosen capacitor with the right voltage limit and a lot of microfarads could indeed destroy itself quickly based on the current or the constant polarity reversals. Too large a capacitor will indeed draw enough current to trip a breaker.
            Yup! I could have put motor matching cap on every motorized item i have. But that like putting GFI on every outlet. 1 and done old timers got it done without building complicated circuits. Just need to understand your purpose/requirements. I got hit for using the wrong terminology by using the term harmonic hum on ceiling fans

Comment

• foo1bar
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2014

Yup! I could have put motor matching cap on every motorized item i have. But that like putting GFI on every outlet. 1 and done old timers got it done without building complicated circuits. Just need to understand your purpose/requirements. I got hit for using the wrong terminology by using the term harmonic hum on ceiling fans
              The normal approach is to have a cap on each motor - because then you have the right amount when that motor is being used and you aren't causing problems when the motors are off. (or don't have enough when you have numerous motors starting/running at the same time) It isn't really "complicated circuits" - Most electric motors today have a spot to mount a capacitor or multiple capacitor and are designed with the expectation that you have that capacitor working and in place.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

ah-men
                The idiot pretender returned.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                  You OK ?

Comment

• littleharbor
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

You've been missed around here. The level of BS coming through has been pretty high lately.
                    Hope all is well.
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by littleharbor
                      You've been missed around here. The level of BS coming through has been pretty high lately.
                      Hope all is well.
                      Does that say anything of the usefulness of knowledgeable posters ? Just wonderin' ?

Comment

• littleharbor
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Does that say anything of the usefulness of knowledgeable posters ? Just wonderin' ?
                        Yes it does. The workload has been higher for all trying to quash the BS and keep folks from hurting themselves by believing said BS.
                        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• bcroe
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2012

Hope all is well.
                          Same thoughts here. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking

Welcome back SK.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

Yes it does. The workload has been higher for all trying to quash the BS and keep folks from hurting themselves by believing said BS.
                              We have a fresh batch of future darwin award contestants...
                              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...