Code department giving me a hard time ... need advice on first grid tie installation

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KenInNC
    • Nov 2018

Code department giving me a hard time ... need advice on first grid tie installation

My local permits department is giving me a hard time about some documents which may end up scrubbing the installation if I can't figure out a good remedy to appease them. Here is what they recently sent:

1. The design letter submitted references the 2009 IBC. These are not the adopted building codes for NC. We currently can accept the 2012 NCBC or the 2018 NCBC.
    2. Documents submitted are required to be site specific (NCAC 21.56.0701(b) per David Tuttle, Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors).
    3. Letter required is for the homes existing roof being capable of the additional load of the solar equipment.

On my end, to address Problem 1 I would think requires the manufacture of the non-rail design I bought to provide this but I may be wrong. I am using Eco-X mounts. Here is the website of the technical documents support page:

Ecolibrium Solar is committed to revolutionizing the solar power market. We design simple, cost effective and ecologically sound products that maximize

I did email the field support agent with the message the permitting department sent today but I do not expect a fast answer and I could use some advice if I am going about this correctly.

Problem 2 is very vague. It took a bit but I found the NCAC documentation and it seems that 21.56.0701(b) is only about engineering ethics but maybe I am wrong. It states:

"(b) A licensee shall conduct the practice in order to protect the public health, safety and welfare. The licensee shall at all times recognize the primary obligation to protect the public in the performance of the professional duties. If the licensee's engineering or land surveying judgment is overruled under circumstances where the safety, health and welfare of the public are endangered, the licensee shall inform the employer, the client, the contractor, other affected parties and any appropriate regulatory agency of the possible consequences of the situation."

So is this a problem or a expectation of what they want me to make sure the engineer is qualified and in the right frame of mind to do his job?

Problem 3 really sucks. The home was built in 1993 and I purchased it in 1994. The original builder said he would give me the blue prints but he forgot and passed away. He was a real corner cutter. Once he was building a home here and the sanitation inspector came to check the septic fields and as soon as he left he ordered the guy on the front end loader to grab the dirt from the septic field and put it back into the foundation for the concrete. In retrospect... his karma got him as his mother in law ended up buying the home. But I digress ... so I called the county about the plans as they are supposed to have them on file somewhere but they said it was too old of a home and they didn't keep the plans so how am I supposed to get proof that the roof is capable of holding the solar array? I can't afford to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars just for someone to stamp a paper and say it's fine when I know it is anyways. This is a prebuilt roof truss system.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. I have everything ready to go except the wire, connectors and permission to go ahead.

UPDATE: I got a fast response from the good people at Ecolibrium Solar in regards to Problem 1 and what a great response:

"Ken,

We are reaching out to CBC to get the letter updated as well as the Leland, NC, building dept. to verify that this will satisfy the NCBC standard.

We will have this turned around and back to you hopefully by Monday or Tuesday.

Best,
    Jason"

The telephone and email support has been of the highest quality from this company. Real caring people from what I can see even if I am a small customer (thought not physical size).

I have to also mention that Industrial Control Direct out of Atlanta, Ga offered some of the best advice, service and prices for my AC and DC safety disconnects. I haven't seen any other products of this quality, NEMA 4r and rating for such a good price. Good looking IMO outdoor disconnects made specifically for DC and AC use. The DC disconnect is spring loaded so there is no arcing. 800VDC and 690VAC ratings for each type and $43 and $29 respectively. So 3 PV strings with 3 disconnects and 1 grid tie disconnect for $158 is not bad considering what else I have found. I just don't know if you really need Arc Fault, Lightning Arrestor and fuses for this or not in the future?

Last edited by KenInNC; 12-14-2018, 02:54 PM. Reason: New update
  • Paul Land
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2018

Yup, Thats part of the reason I Took Solar Install cert course at local C.C. Just think off roof set-up saves a lot of tension, think carport for easy orientation and Inspections

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Roof Structure Engineering.
      If you even vaguely think the builder took shortcuts, this may save your butt. Even regular built houses have to have retrofit engineering, you pay the engineer to inspect the attic space and verify the structure will hold the weight and uplift of the panels. If not, the panels tear the roof off. Building departments realize this and want to insure the roof is adequate to have additional unplanned loads installed
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

you should be using a railed system, especially if you think the builder took shortcuts.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Paul Land
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
          Roof Structure Engineering.
          If you even vaguely think the builder took shortcuts, this may save your butt. Even regular built houses have to have retrofit engineering, you pay the engineer to inspect the attic space and verify the structure will hold the weight and uplift of the panels. If not, the panels tear the roof off. Building departments realize this and want to insure the roof is adequate to have additional unplanned loads installed
          You need 1/2" Ply or OSB Sheathing you can check thickness at soffit. And 16"on center 2x6s for rafters or trusses. Going back to my
          carpenter days. If that's good go for letter other wise don't waste your money. And if you live in Fl and have old stick built, good luck
          Last edited by Paul Land; 12-15-2018, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• KenInNC
            • Nov 2018

Thank you everyone. I have proof of the roof thickness (OSB) as I have an original cutout from a past ceiling fan and I know it is at least 1/2". Trusses are much larger than 2x4 but I would have to go up there and check it out but it was a structural engineered truss set. Back in the day, inspections were about who you knew it seems. When this home was built the builder only had to put plywood in the corners. The rest is Celotex which is like a fiberglass board with a foil side. Kills the cellphone reception as well. The reason why I didn't go with the rails Bruce was because the sharing of the mounting points across the total roof seemed to be making sure the individual truss did not take to much weight. Rails would have been better I believe if I had truss mounting points on each truss. I am attaching a rough idea of the mountain points. Ignore the red. Also the key and engineering mount estimates for weight distribution are included. Thanks!
            Attached Files

Comment

• KenInNC
              • Nov 2018

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 8.01.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-14 at 7.54.00 PM.png
              Last edited by KenInNC; 12-14-2018, 09:02 PM. Reason: Too much personal info in the image

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by KenInNC
                Some jurisdictions have setbacks from roof edges, and at changes in slope such as at peaks & valleys for access for first responders. Looks like your layout does not or may not meet such requirements as/if they exist.

Might be worth a call.

Item # 3 of your original post is a pretty standard requirement. Nothing new there. For PV, once the roof design details are established, it's usually the wind uplift on the array and flow induced vibration that can cause problems. The added dead loads, while needing to be checked are usually minor compared to the other loadings.

As for the other stuff in your original post, and not saying your doing so, but I've found building depts. can be very helpful and a real asset to folks who don't hit them with a bunch of attitude. Just sayin'.

Comment

• KenInNC
                  • Nov 2018

thank you. The setbacks were not not perfectly represented here due to my lack of knowledge with CAD or 3D drawing. I do plan on learning that better but I ended up doing that in photoshop which is not made for that type of work. I used to do this well with Corel Draw but now they do not support Mac for the last 8 years. We are supposed to have 24" setback and I will do my best to adhere to that. I plan on making a mockup panel to get up there and physically mark the roof (corner points only) to make sure of the fit. Thank you for all of the advice. I do agree with the engineering worries for strength but I would think that anything made in the past 30 years for hurricane alley would have already had to meet some strict wind code and load code as well. I will try to call a engineer to see what they charge to come and peak ... $100-$200 is okay but if they say $600 plus that would be over kill to me for my simple income and home...

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

thank you. The setbacks were not not perfectly represented here due to my lack of knowledge with CAD or 3D drawing. I do plan on learning that better but I ended up doing that in photoshop which is not made for that type of work. I used to do this well with Corel Draw but now they do not support Mac for the last 8 years. We are supposed to have 24" setback and I will do my best to adhere to that. I plan on making a mockup panel to get up there and physically mark the roof (corner points only) to make sure of the fit. Thank you for all of the advice. I do agree with the engineering worries for strength but I would think that anything made in the past 30 years for hurricane alley would have already had to meet some strict wind code and load code as well. I will try to call a engineer to see what they charge to come and peak ... $100-$200 is okay but if they say $600 plus that would be over kill to me for my simple income and home...
                    You're welcome. On the engineering, It may be a reasonable assumption that the existing roof of 30 years ago was fit for conditions it was designed for. However, there are at least two things and probably many more to consider when the equivalent of a big, semi rigid sail is attached to something it was not originally designed to support:
                    1.) Materials and to some degree their dimensions and load resisting capabilities and characteristics change as f(time), meaning site inspection may be called for.
                    2.) The loading conditions change when a structure is modified. Adding a PV array is a structural modification. Without checking the existing structure to determine its suitability for the new loading condition may be a violation of building codes. Even if not, not checking is still an unsafe practice.

An added PV array will most likely present wind loadings that were not considered as part of the original design, particularly for two considerations: Uplift and flow induced vibration. Most of the time, the uplift is part of the design review/check and may be substantial or at least enough of a head scratcher on what might happen and to maybe beef things up a bit or modify the array design, or other things.The flow induced vibration is usually only given a thorough look as part of larger systems' design which are not usually a retrofit situation.

I'd check w/ the AHJ and see what they require before engaging engineering services of a P.E. There may be alternatives. Communication never hurts.
                    Last edited by J.P.M.; 12-15-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Paul Land
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2018

Thank you everyone. I have proof of the roof thickness (OSB) as I have an original cutout from a past ceiling fan and I know it is at least 1/2". Trusses are much larger than 2x4 but I would have to go up there and check it out but it was a structural engineered truss set. Back in the day, inspections were about who you knew it seems. When this home was built the builder only had to put plywood in the corners. The rest is Celotex which is like a fiberglass board with a foil side. Kills the cellphone reception as well. The reason why I didn't go with the rails Bruce was because the sharing of the mounting points across the total roof seemed to be making sure the individual truss did not take to much weight. Rails would have been better I believe if I had truss mounting points on each truss. I am attaching a rough idea of the mountain points. Ignore the red. Also the key and engineering mount estimates for weight distribution are included. Thanks!
                      This guys mounts are rated @ 250mph and are low cost solattach he's in FL. Photo shows complete bracket less t-connector & bolt very simple to set up

sol2.png
                      Last edited by Paul Land; 12-15-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Paul Land

This guys mounts are rated @ 250mph and are low cost solattach he's in FL. Photo shows complete bracket less t-connector & bolt very simple to set up

sol2.png
                        There is more to it than simply the clips or the racking. It's also and primarily the structure's ability to withstand the imposed loads.

Comment

• Paul Land
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.

There is more to it than simply the clips or the racking. It's also and primarily the structure's ability to withstand the imposed loads.
                          Sol Attach is up and running on my new system very easy setup and comes with PE Letter if needed. Just had 40 mph winds

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Paul Land

Sol Attach is up and running on my new system very easy setup and comes with PE Letter if needed. Just had 40 mph winds
                            To repeat: There is more to it than simple clips. The clip design may be P.E. designed/stamped but that's only one component in the design of a racking system, and says nothing about what the clip is attached to. Adequate clips on an inadequate structure is an inadequate design.

Also, looking at your advertising photo, that clip looks like it's for a standing seam roof. Per the OP's sketch, the application roof is shingled.

Comment

• bcroe
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2012

Reiterating, I have no faith in those handy labor saving clips. In extreme situations, things might move around,
                              and the clips slip off. After the first, the rest will go like dominos. Every one of my panels is secured by through
                              bolts, strain spreading washers, and a pair of locking nuts. The panel metal will have to be ripped apart before
                              the panel goes anywhere. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...