X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chirag11
    • Dec 2018

Difference between Solar Production vs Utility meter upload - Almost 39% off

Hello all,

My first post here !

I have had solar for over 2 years. But one thing is always bothering me.... Hopefully someone can provide some insight to my question.

As you know, the solar production is monitored in the meter that is installed by the solar provider. The city installed a new digital meter. The meter shows both the UP and DOWN - what I am uploading to grid and what I am pulling from the grid.

What I pull down from grid makes sense - that's my energy usage. The UP is supposed to reflect what was uploaded to grid.

My issue/concern is that my solar production shows I have generated (rounding the numbers) 25,200 kWh energy so far since installed. My upload shows 15,500 kWh to the grid, and usage shows 16,400 kWh. FYI when the city meter was installed, the solar generated about 200 kWh energy.

My question is why is the upload to grid so much lower than produced? - I am missing 9,700 kWh of power somewhere... - that's almost 40%

Does anyone else see this in their system? To me this seems like an issue. - 9.7 Mega watt of power unaccounted for is eye opener..
    PS - I only started paying attention because I am buying electric car. My current electric bill is $10 which is the minimum connectivity charges from the city.

Thanks
    CK

• ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Where did you get the 16.4MWh you are calling usage?
    what you are missing is self consumotion.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• chirag11
      • Dec 2018

The 16.4 is from the city's meter -- they call it Advanced Meter in city of Anaheim.
      It shows 3 numbers first is 000000 , second one for down (usage) and third UP *(upload to grid).

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by chirag11
        The 16.4 is from the city's meter -- they call it Advanced Meter in city of Anaheim.
        It shows 3 numbers first is 000000 , second one for down (usage) and third UP *(upload to grid).

That is what they call it but it is NOT your usage, it is your grid usage. Your actuall usage is the grid usage plus your self consumption
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Epiphany2000
          • Nov 2018

Agreed. Energy that is used at the time of generation is not sent to the grid, and will not be reflected in POCO records.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

What you are missing is what you CONSUMED. The utility meter and your production meter does not measure what you consume, nor is it needed because it can be calculated just like you have done because you know 2 of the 3 variables. A kid you knew in high school came up with it by the name Al Gebra knows how to do it.

Utility Meter + Solar Production Meter = Consumption.

The Utility Meter number can be positive or negative. A few examples.

-200 Kwh + 1500 Kwh = 1300 Kwh consumed. You generated 200 Kwh more than you consumed and received a credit
            100 Kwh + 1200 Kwh = 1300 Kwh consumed. You consumed 100 Kwh more than you generated and received a bill
            0 Kwh + 1300 Kwh = 1300 Kwh consumed. You had net 0 consumed and received a Warm Fuzzy.

Al Gebra knows what he was talking about and is not capable of telling a lie.
            Last edited by Sunking; 12-28-2018, 11:46 AM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...