X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silverhorsefarm
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2010

Highest power density panel

two years of EV driving have driven me into production deficit with my 11.34 kw array, so I am looking to add a few panels onto a new covered structure next to the existing barn. It has only 144 sq feet of surface area (12X12), so I am looking for the highest power density panel reasonable money can buy. I am hoping to simply feed them into the existing breaker box which services the existing array. Any recommendations?
    SHF produces something besides manure!
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

I'd ground mount any array additions. You'll pay more to erect/install w/ a ground mount, but as some compensation, you'll save getting ripped off by outfits like Sunpower who overcharge for higher area efficiency. You'll also have something that's easier to optimize and maintain and maybe a bit easier to expand if necessary.

Ground mounts have plusses-minuses with some of the minuses not immediately obvious (fences ? buried lines ?), but maybe worth a sniff.

Comment

• JSchnee21
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2017

Hi SilverHorseFarm,

Do you have a preference for 60/96-cell or 72-cell? 72 cell panels are physically somewhat larger. It also depends what kind of inverter solution you are planning to use -- string, SolarEdge, Enphase?

Are there any code requirements for set back (from roof peak, etc.) for firefighter access?

In the 60/96 cell space (normal residential), the LG Neon R 365W and the Panasonic N340 are probably the highest

LG Neon R 365W
      (www).lg.com/us/business/solar-panel/all-products/lg-LG365Q1C-A5

Panasonic N 340W
      na.panasonic.com/us/energy-solutions/solar/hit-series/n340-hitr-series

In the 72-cell space (normal commercial), there's a variety of offerings. But you need to steer clear of the Bi-facial wattages which you'll never reach given a roof mount (or most ground mounts)

LG has a 405W -- I don't think it is bifacial, but I'm not sure. the 72-cell are less efficient per meter squared. But, it all depends on your roof geometry and which will fit better.

(www).lg.com/us/business/solar-panel/all-products/lg-LG405N2W-A5

But, as JPM suggested, if you have the real estate available, ground mount might be the better choice if your anticipate your needs continuing to grow.

There's lots of other good products too -- Jinko, Hanwha, Trina, to name a few -- but none are as efficient though some are getting close.

-Jonathan

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by silverhorsefarm
        two years of EV driving have driven me into production deficit with my 11.34 kw array, so I am looking to add a few panels onto a new covered structure next to the existing barn. It has only 144 sq feet of surface area (12X12), so I am looking for the highest power density panel reasonable money can buy. I am hoping to simply feed them into the existing breaker box which services the existing array. Any recommendations?
        First off you would be looking for the most efficient panels. Panel efficiencies are now pushing 20%. The Sunpreme GXB390T,for example, is 20.3% efficient. You could fit six in the area, eight with some overhang (3.1kW). However local codes will likely prevent that and may limit you to four.

Next you can consider a bifacial panel. It gives you even more power per square foot IF you have something under the panels that reflects light (i.e. mounting them on a solid roof won't help.) If you do a separate structure, or use them as the covering for a carport or something (with nothing behind them) that can work. The 390T is bifacial BTW.

Next you will likely have to go through your utility again, and may run into the 120% rule depending on how your system is set up.

Comment

• silverhorsefarm
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2010

thanks for all the suggestions. I am going with enphase for sure. By my calculations, I can fit 2X3 of the largest modules and still have a nice margin of underhang. Best case is a little over 2k additional watts. The structure is a covered manure bin, so the roof is almost flat, so I am realistic about production potential.
          SHF produces something besides manure!

Comment

Working...