X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IntoTheWild
    • May 2018

Ground cable shared between Xantrex inverter and Victron Charge Controller?

1. Is it suitable to connect the grounding point (earth) from my newly installed Victron controller to the grounding point (earth) on my Xantrex controller? The Xantrex grounding point (earth) is already directly connected to my campers grounding/earth cable.

2. Or should I rather wire my Victron Controllers' ground point directly to my campers grounding/earth cable?

If I can get away with number 1. it would save me a ton of labor and dismantling hence my question....

See picture below for reference:

IMG_2367 copy.jpg

• Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

There is no earth ground on a camper trailer, ship,planes, trains, car, truck, boat, RV or space craft. . You bond the Dirt Terminal to the frame/chassis of your camper trailer.
    Last edited by Sunking; 11-06-2018, 05:32 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNW_Steve
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Of course, along with the chassis connection, you will want to connect the grounding conductor to your shore connection as well.

Be mindful of correct neutral bonding.

Comment

• IntoTheWild
        • May 2018

Originally posted by Sunking
        There is no earth ground on a camper trailer, ship,planes, trains, car, truck, boat, RV or space craft. . You bond the Dirt Terminal to the frame/chassis of your camper trailer.
        The "dirt terminal" of the Xantrex inverter in the picture is already connected to the frame/chassis of my camper. So I am simply asking if I can connect the "dirt terminal" of the Victron controller to the Xantrex's dirt terminal ?

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

You can Daisy Chain them if you wish, just make sure both cables used are no smaller than the largest battery cable used. There is only one purpose those ground cables do, to trip circuit breakers and or fuses. Under normal operation they do nothing and Ground has nothing to do with it at all. Even when connected to Shore Power will not effect anything as long as what you are calling Earth Ground is the trailer chassis. No dirt required.

FWIW no fuse or breaker will operate unless you have the battery negative term post bonded to the chassis with a wire no smaller than largest wire used anywhere. If that connection is not there. just as well run all grounds to a ham sandwich. At least the fuses will work.
          Last edited by Sunking; 11-07-2018, 06:50 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...