X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by foo1bar
    Ok - so now you agree that the conduit from the OP's original question DOES need to be bonded to the EGC.
    Glad you came around to what I've been saying.
    Huh! You need to go back and read what you said. Not only can you not interpret what the code says, you do not even know what you wrote.

A bare wire (or any ground) should be bonded at both ends
    That is BS. The only time you would physically bond a conductor to both ends is the GEC. Get that through your thick head. There is only one Ground Conductor, everything else is a Bonding

How does 250.118 cause my arguments to be "blown out of the water"?
    It just gives different ways that the conduit could be connected to the EGC.

Geez you are dense. No wire of any kind is required, get that through your thick skull.

To the OP I apologize for the diversion. DIY forums are not where you should be getting your information. You can run conduit to protect and route your conductors. If you run a Bonding Conductor if can be bare or insulated, and if insulated needs to be Green in color so it is easily identified.

If the conduit is ran from your service panel, even if it goes through the Inverter first, no bonding jumper is required, the conduit itself acts as the bonding jumper. You are permitted to run a Bonding Jumper inside the conduit (for redundancy), just not required to do so.

However that is not best practice because you are inviting lightning inside your home. Best Practice is to not run metal Conduit the full length of the circuit. Example just to inside the attic, then transition over to PVC. That will Isolate and Float the metal conduit and panel frames electrically. To make that safe and give lightning a place to go is run a Down Conductor straight down to dirt to the Grounding Electrode System your AC Service is bonded too. If the Down Conductor comes down where the Electrodes are not located directly below, trench in line below grade to where the Electrode is. That way if lightning were to directly strike a panel, it is routed outside around your home directly to earth. Otherwise it would go through your home wiring and burn it up. Electrical codes as of now allow both ways. Next Code Cycle, possible even now because your local jurisdiction amended out the option NEC gives you to use Equipment Bonding Conductors because it is flat out dangerous to do it that way. If it has been amended out, your only other option is Best Practice and use a Down Conductor and treat the frames as Air Strike Terminals. Just be sure not to use any ferrous metal Conduit. Well you can but would be required to bond the Conduit to both ends of the Down Conductor to eliminate Magnetic Choking effect.
    Last edited by Sunking; 10-18-2018, 11:02 AM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
      "Ok - so now you agree that the conduit from the OP's original question DOES need to be bonded to the EGC.
      Glad you came around to what I've been saying."
      Huh! You need to go back and read what you said. Not only can you not interpret what the code says, you do not even know what you wrote.
      I've been quite consistent in saying that the conduit needs to be bonded to the EGC. Even provided the relevant code section that I believe states the requirement.
      You are the one who said conduit did not need to be connected to the EGC in post #3.
      I think common practice is to bond it in each jbox to the EGC that's running through it, but that wouldn't be required. It is required that there be an electrical path - the EGC (wire or metal conduit or other) - going back to the main panel.

"A bare wire (or any ground) should be bonded at both ends" -me
      That is BS. The only time you would physically bond a conductor to both ends is the GEC. Get that through your thick head.
      GEC inside metal conduit is the only time you *HAVE* to bond a conductor at both ends. It is not the only time you would do it.
      Most people DO bond the EGC at both ends. (A few posts up you even said you would do that as a "belt and suspenders" approach.)
      Also, I said "should", not "must" AND I corrected/clarified my statement in post #6:
      "it isn't a requirement for an EGC to bond [to] both ends of the conduit. (But I think if you have a metal jbox at each end that you will bond it that way anyhow.)" -me

No wire of any kind is required, get that through your thick skull.
      I never have said a wire is required.
      The premise of the OP's question is that he is using a wire as an EGC and running it inside EMT.
      And that EMT would need to be bonded - contrary to what you said in post #3. "The only conductor required to be bonded to the metallic raceway is the Ground Electrode Conductor"
      The EMT can be bonded in many ways - through a fitting/metal jbox/ground screw, through a series of conduits/metal jboxes, or through other methods.
      But unlike what you said in post #3, it must be bonded.

If the conduit is ran from your service panel, even if it goes through the Inverter first, no bonding jumper is required, the conduit itself acts as the bonding jumper. You are permitted to run a Bonding Jumper inside the conduit (for redundancy), just not required to do so.
      A huge caveat to this - this is assuming all of the conduit is EMT (or other metal conduit) to provide the bonding (EGC)
      If you have PVC conduit as part of that system, PVC (or other non-metallic conduit) does not conduct (obviously). So those sections therefore can not be your EGC. So you have to have a different method bonding the conduit - something to provide an electrical path back to the main panel.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

I've been quite consistent in saying that the conduit needs to be bonded to the EGC.
        You are the one who said conduit did not need to be connected to the EGC in post #3.
        I will say one thing, you head is thick and slow to absorb information. You certainly do not comprehend code, and say things that are not there. You cannot even comprehend the OP question.

If i'm running EMT through the roof, can the bare grounding cable run through that same conduit?
        A simple YES is all it takes. All that is required is to fasten the end of the conductor to the Solar Equipment Ground Terminal provided by the manufacture. That is it, no other bonds are required. At no point you would physically required to bond anything else

GEC inside metal conduit is the only time you *HAVE* to bond a conductor at both ends. It is not the only time you would do it.
        Wished we were sitting at a table drinking a beer, because I would take your money on a bet. No other conductor is REQUIRED TO BONDED AT BOTH ENDS. You can certainly do so if you wish, but there is NO REQUIREMNT.

You apparently have never understood a word of 250.62 through 250.68. Go back and read many many times until you understand 250.64 (E) Enclosures For Grounding Electrode Conductor. Perhaps someone here would like to read it and explain it to you.

In a paraphrased nutshell here is what 250.64 is telling the reader.

Ferrous metal enclosures (raceways, junction boxes, ect) for GEC's shall be bonded at the point where it enters and exits with approved cable clamps. And just for you since you cannot understand text, here it is in picture format with all the possibilities. See those Clamps where the GEC enters and exits the Junction box and conduits? Only the GEC is required to be bonded at both ends. The Aluminum raceway in the picture required no Bonding.

You lost the bet.

A Equipment Ground Conductor as you call it has no such requirement. Get that through your thick skull and quit embarrassing yourself and taking up all my time trying to educate you. I bet your boss will reading this.

Last edited by Sunking; 10-18-2018, 05:23 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• foo1bar
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

"GEC inside metal conduit is the only time you *HAVE* to bond a conductor at both ends. It is not the only time you would do it." -me

Wished we were sitting at a table drinking a beer, because I would take your money on a bet. No other conductor is REQUIRED TO BONDED AT BOTH ENDS. You can certainly do so if you wish, but there is NO REQUIREMNT.
          What's the bet?
          Because what you quoted from me, and the sentence you have after "on a bet." are the same.
          (which BTW is different from what you said which I was responding to - your previous statement was:
          "The only time you would physically bond a conductor to both ends is the GEC."
          I'd certainly take a bar bet that the above sentence is not correct as written.
          What you wrote there is the same as:
          "The only time you are allowed to physically bond a conductor to both ends is the GEC."
          A correct one would be:
          "The only time you are required to physically bond a conductor to both ends is the GEC."
          Which is a rephrase of what I just said above

You lost the bet.
          What's the bet?
          Because you seem to be trying to convince me that the GEC is required to be bonded at both ends of a ferrous conduit - which I agree with and have agreed with that idea the ENTIRE time
          Nothing I've said above contradicts that.

As I see it, the statements we seem to disagree about are:

A EGC wire is not allowed to be bonded at both ends of a conduit. (your claim - although sometimes you appear to back away from it)

A EGC wire in a metal conduit is allowed to be bonded at both ends of a conduit. And it often is bonded at both ends via the jbox at each end, even though that isn't a requirement. (my claim)

Comment

• foo1bar
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

A simple YES is all it takes. All that is required is to fasten the end of the conductor to the Solar Equipment Ground Terminal provided by the manufacture. That is it, no other bonds are required. At no point you would physically required to bond anything else
            So you're saying that a piece of EMT which contains the solar panel conductors and the ground wire for the panels/frame has no need to be bonded to anything at all?
            That it can be electrically isolated from everything? Because that's what I would take as your meaning when you say "At no point you would physically required to bond anything else"
            I don't think that's what you meant to say.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

As I see it, the statements we seem to disagree about are:

A EGC wire is not allowed to be bonded at both ends of a conduit. (your claim - although sometimes you appear to back away from it)
              Are you really that dense? I never said any such thing. It is not required, and nothing prohibiting anyone from doing so. You cannot comprehend simple requirements and why.

A EGC wire in a metal conduit is allowed to be bonded at both ends of a conduit. And it often is bonded at both ends via the jbox at each end, even though that isn't a requirement. (my claim)
              . That is not bonding the conductor at both ends where it enters and leaves the conduit or panel. . Look at the drawing for a GEC bond. You have never ever bonded an EGC with clamps that way in your life, and if you have are a fool for doing so unless it is the GEC.

Now you have failed to answer my question that has been asked now 4 times. What is the common name for a Grounded Circuit Conductor?

I know why you have not answered because you do not know the answer. It is called the Neutral, all those white wires in any breaker panel right next to the black and green wires. Any first year student would know the answer. By your misguided logic it is a ground conductor and must be bonded to conduit. I promise you that is not kosher and makes Inspectors frown and write notes on Red Paper

Here is what you do not understand. Bonding the EGC as you call it to a junction box, panel or whatever is not bonding the EGC to the Raceway making it a circuit conductor by code definition. . The reason the GEC is clamped and bonded at both ends is two fold.

1. To make the raceway or a panel a intended circuit conductor.

2. To eliminate magnetic choking of a single conductor. The GEC does not have any AC fault current ever running on it from inside the house. That is not what it is there for. Its job is to keep outside faults from entering you wiring.

EGC as you call it is ran with circuit conductors. As such being closely coupled to its circuit conductors in the same raceway, and being 180 degrees out of phase, cancels magnetic choking effect. A ground conductor is a single wire with no associated circuit conductors to cancel out magnetic choking. Been a while since I was in school, but I am pretty sure Lightning does not have any circuit conductors to use to cancel out Magnetic Choking. When there is a fault, especially lightning. you get one heck of a extremely fast rise time current creating a very strong and powerful magnetic pulse that travels from the fault looking for a path back to the source. That would be dirt. If you used ferrous metal conduit to run and protect the GEC, and do not bond the GEC to the raceway where it enters and leaves, lightning will be congested and slowed down. When that happens, the voltage spike into the 10's of thousands of volts, and will Flash Over and find its way around the GEC to get to dirt. Bond the raceway at each end, and the choke is eliminated because now the conduit is the conductor.

Think of a dam that burst. A wall of water goes down stream and slams into a pinch point. The pressure at the pinch point rises to astronomical levels and blows out the pinch point allowing current to flow and reduce the pressure. Good grief dude all you have to do is look at the picture and can clearly see what I am talking about.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

This is going to be the last comments in this thread. I am typing slowly foo1bar so you can follow. You clearly do not understand the code. I can prove it right now and everyone else will get it. I have doubts you will catch on.

OK you have never in your life bonded EGC to Conduit, you have said so many times, but with your lack of understanding , you have no clue what proves it. By your own words you bond the Green EGC Wires to Junction Ground lug inside, or the Equipment Ground Terminal. That is what the code requires right?

Bond in NEC terms is to join two specific electrical points together. Specifically EGC to Ground Terminal in Equipment, Enclosure Boxes, and Panels just like you say you do. You are code complint, bu thave no clue why or how grounding works. You moron that is not the conduit you are bonding to. You are bonding enclosures and equipment, not the dang conduit. The only conductor required to be bonded to raceways and enclosure whey the enter and exit is the GEC making the conduit and enclosures a circuit conductor. You never in your life have bonded any grounding conductor to conduit as pictured. Look at the diagram meathead. Geez you are SLOW. You do not even know what Grounded Circuit Conductor is: Neutral Conductors. All those white wires you play with.
                Last edited by Sunking; 10-19-2018, 01:39 AM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• foo1bar
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2014

"A EGC wire is not allowed to be bonded at both ends of a conduit. (your claim - although sometimes you appear to back away from it)"
                  Are you really that dense? I never said any such thing. It is not required, and nothing prohibiting anyone from doing so. You cannot comprehend simple requirements and why.
                  Let's look back again at what you've said:
                  "The only time you would physically bond a conductor to both ends is the GEC. " - post #16

If you think your statement from post #16 is accurate, but my restatement of your position is not, what are the specific differences between them?
                  And maybe you could try explaining it without resorting to insults.
                  I have not insulted you in this thread, even when you've made obvious mistakes.

. That is not bonding the conductor at both ends where it enters and leaves the conduit or panel. . Look at the drawing for a GEC bond. You have never ever bonded an EGC with clamps that way in your life, and if you have are a fool for doing so unless it is the GEC.
                  I never said "where it enters and leaves the conduit or panel".
                  I said it needed to be bonded - AND I gave specific example of how it would usually be bonded - via wire to ground-screw to j-box to fitting to conduit.
                  Somehow you appear to have jumped to the conclusion that I was referring to using a bonding bushing or something even though I clearly stated an example of using a ground screw in a j-box to achieve the electrical connection to the conduit.

Now you have failed to answer my question that has been asked now 4 times. What is the common name for a Grounded Circuit Conductor?

I know why you have not answered because you do not know the answer. It is called the Neutral,
                  The first time (post #10) I figured you were just trolling. I don't see how you concluded that I would consider the grounded circuit conductor to be called ground. This is only the second time I saw it (post 21) I now see there was a 3rd (post 14) that I didn't even notice. If this is the 4th, I still am missing one.
                  This time I mostly noticed it and decided to answer because you put it in bold

So - to answer your question, in my area it's usually called "Common". But I think that's a regional (or maybe an age) thing. Neutral is also often used as a term but common is more .... common.

By your misguided logic it (neutral) is a ground conductor and must be bonded to conduit.
                  Say what?
                  I don't think there's any way you can twist what I've said that gets you even close to that conclusion.

EGC as you call it is ran with circuit conductors. As such being closely coupled to its circuit conductors in the same raceway, and being 180 degrees out of phase,
                  The EGC is 180 degrees out of phase with the circuit conductors?
                  Does it manage to be 180 degrees out of phase with all of the circuit conductors?
                  When I have conductors for 3-phase going through the conduit along with the EGC, the EGC is 180 degrees out of phase with all 3?

Comment

• foo1bar
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2014

Bond in NEC terms is to join two specific electrical points together. Specifically EGC to Ground Terminal in Equipment, Enclosure Boxes, and Panels just like you say you do. You are code complint, bu thave no clue why or how grounding works. You moron that is not the conduit you are bonding to. You are bonding enclosures and equipment, not the dang conduit.
                    Let me try to use small words so you understand - because apparently despite your claims to have been on the NEC panel you obviously do not understand this.
                    When you connect an EGC wire to the ground screw in a junction box, that wire is bonding the junction box. By extension it is ALSO bonding the conduit fittings connected to that metal box AND the conduit connected to them.
                    With the connection to the EGC wire via the J-box the conduit is considered to be bonded.

The phrase "bonding to the conduit" has an implied meaning of a direct connection to the conduit (bonding bushing or clamp to the conduit itself) - which is what you appear to be claiming I've said - but it is not what I actually said.
                    What I said was that the conduit needs to be bonded - it's a small difference in phrasing, but changes the meaning. My phrasing only means it is electrically connected.

Go re-read the current version of 250.86 and 250.96.
                    They are IMO clear that EMT is required to be connected with the EGC - and standard method of doing that is via their normal fittings.

You never in your life have bonded any grounding conductor to conduit as pictured.
                    I actually have bonded GECs to conduit using bonding bushings - but that's irrelevant.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Let me try to use small words so you understand - because apparently despite your claims to have been on the NEC panel you obviously do not understand this.
                      When you connect an EGC wire to the ground screw in a junction box, that wire is bonding the junction box. By extension it is ALSO bonding the conduit fittings connected to that metal box AND the conduit connected to them.
                      With the connection to the EGC wire via the J-box the conduit is considered to be bonded.
                      I really hate doing this to you, but you leave me no choice. I am going to have to embarrass you so bad you will have to change your user name to Foolbar or dunnochit. You asked for it and deserve it. FWIW you are not the only meathead who has trouble wrapping their noodle around proper grounding and bonding per NEC. OTOH you are the first person I have ever seen not capable of understanding it because you lack basic electrical fundamentals.

I also regret not finding the two following drawings that explains the difference between Bonding conduits and enclosures used for Bonding Conductors vs Ground Conductors. They are not the same thing and have two completely purposes. I would have put them in post 18 along with the other drawing I used when teaching Bonding and Grounding classes for Mike Holt back when I was in between career moves in 2002/2003. I finally found them on an old Floppy Disk. I seriously doubt you will understand, but at least everyone else with basic electrical fundamentals will easily understand the difference between 250.96 used to bond enclosures and raceways for Equipment Bonding Conductors vs 250.64(E) method for bonding enclosures and raceways for GROUND CONDUCTORS. They serve two different purposes.

So look at the two drawings below, and hold your head down in shame and embarrassment. You got in the wrong line in heaven. You got in the Train Line instead of the Brain Line. If you were to Bond a GEC like an EGC in 250.96, if there were a lightning strike or accidental contact from high voltage power lines, as the Magnetic Pulse propagates to find dirt approaches a Junction Box or Enclosure will see the single point bond as a Brick wall with a small choking hole to try to squeeze through. In other words very high resistance. Think of the Train you took in heaven approaching a mountain tunnel at 100 mph. Problem is the tunnel opening is only 3 feet in diameter and the train is 20 feet in diameter. Only thing coming out the other side is blood, guts, mangled steel, and fire. Dam sure will not be the train exiting. Not more like a bug hitting a windshield and SPLAT BOOM BANG. .

As the Magnetic pulse slams into the raceway or enclosure, a huge amount of energy is building up, and voltage skyrockets to 10's of thousands of volts and keeps building until discharged or flashes over, vaporizes the wire insulation, and finds another path to dirt like through the masonry walls, concrete foundation, metal siding, or you if you if you are close by. The moisture in a masonry wall or concrete will super heat and flashes over to steam with explosive force damaging the building and//or foundation. Either that or vaporizes any poor soul standing close by you just killed with your ignorance.

If bonded to comply with 250.64(E), the magnetic pulse does not even see the Enclosure or Conduit because now it is part of the conductor and thus current flows through it. . In fact an even bigger hole is made when done correctly, you actually lowered the resistance of the conductive path making it easier to pass the Train from Heaven straight through heading to good old dirty ground where it dissipates harmlessly radially along the surface of good old Mother earth ground.

So like I said, you have never once in your life ever bonded conduit or enclosure at both ends where current enters and exits. You are bonding Equipment Bonding Jumpers compliant to code, but you have never ever bonded a Ground Conductor correctly. So far you have proven over and over again you dunnochit Foolbar. You only know enough to be dangerous like Karrak, and have no biz answering any questions. You could get someone killed if they took your advice.

I can only imagine how embarrassed you are right now knowing all of us are having a good laugh at your expense. OTOH me thinks you still do not get it which make it even more funny. It is real dang simple. You do not understand the code, or the difference between a Bonding Conductor, and a Grounding Conductor. If it makes you feel better, many electricians and even a few engineers do not fully understand until it is pointed out to them.

Last edited by Sunking; 10-19-2018, 10:37 AM.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Well I had so much fun with the last post, thought I would come back and have some more fun. Below is a picture of a Locknut you have never seen or used before. You do not see many laying around in part stores and part bags because they are very expensive costing $8 to $20 each vs a standard locknut you can buy for 25 to 50-cents. If you had used them before and understand why the are used, we would not be having this friendly conversation. It is what Electrician's use to Bond the end of a conduit when they run a GROUND CONDUCTOR through a Raceway and Enclosure. Smart electricians prefer to use a bare conductor so they do not have to strip a section of insulation off so they can use a "H" of "C" tap and run a Bonding Jumper from the Locknut Ground Terminal and Tap it to the Ground Conductor where the conduit enters and exits. You kill two birds with one stone, you bonded the end of the conduit, and either the entry and exit point of an enclosure. You bond it twice, not once like you would a EGC as you call it. Now go back to the first picture I showed you and you will see it in practice.

Here is my advice to you with your best interest in mind. Shut up and leave the forum for a while, and maybe people will forget you dunnochit foolbar. Just be careful when you come back, because I never forget. I forgive easily, but I never forget an A$$ whooping I give or take.

I am a Grounding & Bonding Subject Matter Expert (SME) and Instructor. You can tell from my Avatar because I am wearing my Lightning Protection System hat protecting my SATV Dish Antenna. Everyone is laughing except you.

When you bond an EGC as you call in Single Point fashion to a Junction Box as required is primarily for the benefit of an electrician who may have to get inside and work on circuit conductors like tracing a run out. Example removes a Twist-On Connector from a Line Conductor and slips out of his hands and makes contact with the metal enclosure. The EGC as you call it provides a solid Planned Path back to the Breaker Panel Neutral Buss to allow the Breaker to operate as fast as possible and clear the fault so the wire does not catch fire. There is no Magnetic Choking because the associated Phase conductor is tightly coupled to the Bonding Conductor and 180 degrees out of phase and cancels out any Magnetic Choking. Basic Electrical Fundamental any first year student should know.

Now you could and permitted bond the EGC as you call it like you would a GEC, if you are foolish enough to do so and have nothing but free time on your hands and money to waste out of your pocket to do it that way. It still works and meets the intent of the code, but buys you absolutely nothing and waste your time and money. Like they say, a Foolbar is soon parted from his money.

So butter my butt and call it a biscuit. Is your a$$ chapped yet? Don't answer that question, you could not answer a simple question I asked you 4 times and you never answered because you do not know the answer.

Q. What do you call the Grounded Circuit Conductor?

A. Neutral Conductor, all the white wires inside the breaker panels and raceways you mistakenly call Ground. The Green wires are not ground either, they are Bonding Jumpers. The only Ground Wire in a system is the GEC. The GEC is the only conductor going to dirt ground. If the GEC is ran inside an ferrous metal enclosure or conduit to protect it from damage, it is required to conform to 250.64(E). Smart money and less expensive would be to use a PVC conduit like every sparky uses for the GEC to save a lot of time, money, and makes the Inspector smile. But you have never done that. Real simple basic fundamentals you have not grasped yet.

This is why I hate teaching, there is always a few Foolbar's students in the classroom slow to learn dragging and slowing down the whole class. To bad it was not military, everyone of the students would be doing 100 pushups to beat you into shape or run you a$$ off to infantry front lines. That is where military sends Foolbar's, they are expendable and no loss. Only route to an honorable discharge if you survive.

Last edited by Sunking; 10-19-2018, 12:34 PM.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• foo1bar
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2014

I also regret not finding the two following drawings that explains the difference between Bonding conduits and enclosures used for Bonding Conductors vs Ground Conductors. They are not the same thing and have two completely purposes.
                          Sunking - the only person talking about how to bond the GEC has been you this whole thread.
                          That wasn't the OP's question. And that isn't what I've said in any of my posts either.
                          Since this appears to be a screed about bonding the GEC, which is irrelevant to the OPs question and irrelevant to what I've stated I'm not going to comment further except

So like I said, you have never once in your life ever bonded conduit or enclosure at both ends where current enters and exits. You are bonding Equipment Bonding Jumpers compliant to code, but you have never ever bonded a Ground Conductor correctly.
                          As I said I have used bonding bushings for bonding a GEC going through rigid conduit.
                          But that's irrelevant to this discussion.

You do not understand the code, or the difference between a Bonding Conductor, and a Grounding Conductor.
                          I don't know why you have come to that conclusion - but I don't care either.

Everyone is laughing except you.
                          I think everyone including me is laughing that you said the EGC is 180 degrees out of phase with the conductors in the conduit.
                          Now that's funny.

It is what Electrician's use to Bond the end of a conduit when they run a GROUND CONDUCTOR through a Raceway and Enclosure.
                          What is usually used around here are bushings with a lug built into it - this looks like it just has a screw to ensure good connection from the conduit to the enclosure. So these would be good for ensuring the entire assembly is bonded - but I don't think they'd meet the requirements that the GEC be bonded close to where it enters/exits. I'd have to look up exactly what the code says on that - and maybe I'm wrong and that fitting is allowed in most places for the GEC. But this is again irrelevant to the EGC bonding.

Also if you're paying $8-20 for a bonding locknut like is pictured, find a new supplier that doesn't rip you off. What you have pictured should be more like $1-2.

you could not answer a simple question I asked you 4 times and you never answered because you do not know the answer.
                          I did answer the 3rd time you asked - but if you choose not to read my answer, that's fine.

I'll point out that you never answered the questions I posed in post #20
                          But I don't expect you will.

The Green wires are not ground either, they are Bonding Jumpers.
                          The green (or bare) wires are colloquially/commonly called ground wires.
                          The nomenclature used in the current version of the NEC (2017) is "Equipment Grounding Conductor" or EGC.
                          But the common usage of "ground wire" is still used for the EGC - and has been for decades.
                          If I tell someone "I need you to connect the ground wires to the ground screw in that junction box" they will connect the bare/green wires to the ground screw.
                          If I tell someone "I need you to connect the bonding jumpers to the ground screw in that junction box" they'll look at me like I've started speaking Shakespearean English.
                          I expect that even if the NFPA changes their nomenclature to "Bonding Jumper" or "Equipment Bonding Conductor" in the next code rev it'll still be commonly called "ground wire" by people for many years.

Smart money and less expensive would be to use a PVC conduit like every sparky uses for the GEC to save a lot of time, money, and makes the Inspector smile.
                          PVC is great - but if the AHJ says you can't use PVC because the location is "subject to damage", so you need to use rigid, you use rigid. (much easier to do that then to try to argue with the inspector about whether Schedule 80 really would be sufficient.)
                          But again - this is irrelevant to the discussion.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

I think everyone including me is laughing that you said the EGC is 180 degrees out of phase with the conductors in the conduit.
                            Now that's funny.
                            There you go showing off how ignorant you are. EGC as you call it does not carry any current under normal operation conditions. Again basic fundamental you fail to understand. The only time the EGC will carry any current is when there is a fault in the circuit. Normally the Neutral carries the load current, and that current measured at any point along its length is 180% out of phase with the Line Conductor. Again basic fundamentals which you fail to grasp. During a Fault, there is no current on the Neutral Conductor because it has been shorted out, and now you have hundreds of amps flowing on both the Line Conductor supplying current, and being returned to the Supply on the EGC instead of the Neutral Current. Those currents are 180 degrees out of phase and cancels out any magnetic choking. Again basic fundamental you do not grasp.

So like I said, for an EGC as you call it, there is absolutely no requirement to bond any conduit or raceways on both ends, and you would be a damn Foolbar if you did wasting your time and customers money out of ignorance. The only Ground Cunductor required to be bonded at both ends of aa conduit and/or enclosure is the GEC to make them circuit conductors you idiot. By your own admission you clearly stated you never ever have bonded a conduit or enclosure on both ends. You have no clue you admitted it when you described your practice. When you come to a Junction box with conduit going in and or or dead ended, you Bond the EGC to the Green Ground Screw provided inside the box for that purpose. You morom that is a Single Point Connection as pictured. To bond on both Sides requires two connections to the EGC where enters and leaves.

Your only way out now is to lie and say: No I made a mistake, I strip the green insulation off the EGC, Crimp on Two H-Taps for two Bonding Jumpers to go to two Locknuts with Ground Terminals to make the Enclosure a MADE SOLID GROUND CIRCUIT CONDUCTOR going directly to earth and making it a non complying GEC which there can only be 1 GEC.

The joke is on you Pal, you dunnochit foolbar. Now get lost. You gave incorrect dangerous advice, and the MODS know it. That is why they are letting me beat the crap out of you and not stopping it. Get a CLUE.

Anyway been fun playing with you, but looks like the weather is about to break at DFW airport and my flight home is getting ready to board. Been in TX for the last few weeks on annual Holiday for my B-Day and the The Red River Shootout at the TX State Fair in the real Cotton Bowl the Cowboys use to call home. So I wil be traveling for 14 hours and is a long drive to Casa from Panama City airport. Hasta la vista Amigo, I am out of here.

I was wrong about one thing and not afraid to admit it. I said it is permitted to Bond the EGC as you call it like a GEC if you are a idiot. I was wrong. It is not permitted to bond both ends of a conduit or enclosure on a EGC. That would make it a Ground Electrode Conductor and EGC as you call it is forbidden to be a GEC with direct unimpeded path to dirt ground, and SHALL NOT BE DONE. Refer to NEC 250.121. There can be only 1 GEC. Give you a hint. It is forbidden to use dirt as a conductor. An EGC as you call it makes sure that does not happen by Magnetic Choking.
                            Last edited by Sunking; 10-19-2018, 05:35 PM.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• foo1bar
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2014

EGC as you call it does not carry any current under normal operation conditions.
                              Sure - but that's not what you said previously - which is why what you said previously was quite amusing.

current measured at any point along its length is 180% out of phase with the Line Conductor.
                              180% ?
                              Maybe instead of writing insults you should proofread your posts.

So like I said, for an EGC as you call it, there is absolutely no requirement to bond any conduit or raceways on both ends, and you would be a damn Foolbar if you did wasting your time and customers money out of ignorance. The only Ground Cunductor required to be bonded at both ends of aa conduit and/or enclosure is the GEC to make them circuit conductors
                              Ok - I don't think that's different than what I have said. But whatever.

By your own admission you clearly stated you never ever have bonded a conduit or enclosure on both ends.
                              That's the opposite of what I've stated - but whatever.

You have no clue you admitted it when you described your practice. When you come to a Junction box with conduit going in and or or dead ended, you Bond the EGC to the Green Ground Screw provided inside the box for that purpose. You morom that is a Single Point Connection as pictured. To bond on both Sides requires two connections to the EGC where enters and leaves.
                              So I believe you're saying that connecting an EGC wire to the ground screws in J-boxes on each end of a conduit is not connecting both ends of the conduit. I'd disagree.
                              That or you're saying you aren't allowed to connect to the ground screws in both J-boxes on each end of some conduit (which again I'd disagree)

Your only way out now is to lie and say: No I made a mistake, I strip the green insulation off the EGC, Crimp on Two H-Taps for two Bonding Jumpers to go to two Locknuts with Ground Terminals to make the Enclosure a MADE SOLID GROUND CIRCUIT CONDUCTOR going directly to earth and making it a non complying GEC which there can only be 1 GEC.
                              Again - we're not talking about the GEC.
                              It looks like you're attempting to say I would do something against code - for anybody else reading this I'll point out the above is NOT my statement or recommendation. It's just Sunking's strawman argument.

The joke is on you Pal, you dunnochit foolbar. Now get lost. You gave incorrect dangerous advice, and the MODS know it. That is why they are letting me beat the crap out of you and not stopping it. Get a CLUE.
                              I doubt the mods are following this thread.
                              If they were I expect they would have banned you for being abusive and insulting.
                              That or they're playing favorites and waiting for me to insult you so they can ban me as well.

But, since you've asserted that I've given dangerous advice, let's look at that.
                              What advice did I give that is incorrect dangerous advice?
                              That the OP can run an EGC inside of EMT?
                              That the OP needs to make sure that the EMT is connected to the EGC?
                              That typically the EGC inside the conduit is connected to the J-boxes at each end via a ground screw?
                              I believe that's the only advice I have given.
                              If you think some of those are dangerous, feel free to explain why those are dangerous. (And what code section prohibits that practice would IMO be useful for other people reading this)

I was wrong about one thing and not afraid to admit it. I said it is permitted to Bond the EGC as you call it like a GEC if you are a idiot. I was wrong. It is not permitted to bond both ends of a conduit or enclosure on a EGC. That would make it a Ground Electrode Conductor and EGC as you call it is forbidden to be a GEC with direct unimpeded path to dirt ground, and SHALL NOT BE DONE. Refer to NEC 250.121.
                              How does connecting both ends of a conduit to the EGC inside it make the EGC be a GEC? And how does that provide an "unimpeded path to dirt ground"? The path back to "dirt ground" would still be through the main panel's GEC.

My position (for anyone still reading this) is that for a conduit it needs at least 1 end connected to the EGC (with a few exceptions that are listed in the code). Often both ends are connected to an EGC wire in the conduit via ground screws in the J-boxes the conduit connects to.

I am not going to attempt to summarize Sunking's position since it has changed throughout this thread.

Comment

Working...