X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by solardreamer

My main dislike of gasoline and diesel is that they require more work for long term storage. For backup generator not used frequently I would like to avoid the hassle.
    I guess one person's "hassle" is another persons way to say money. IMO a generator is still cheaper then batteries and really requires less maintenance then any ICE vehicle.

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
      You want me to mop the floor with your tree huggin butt again?.
      Dude, you can't even get my name right - and you can't even get basic questions about electrical engineering. (Remember your entertaining claim about the energy in capacitors?) I'm not worried about you.
      Last edited by jflorey2; 10-14-2018, 01:23 AM.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by jflorey2
        Dude, you can't even get my name right - and you can't even get basic questions about electrical engineering. (Remember your entertaining claim about the energy in capacitors?) I'm not worried about you.
        Dude I can get your name right, but why would I do that? I only do that for people I like and respect. You are not on that list.

As for a doctors office, perhaps you should see one and pay attention to what equipment they have in their offices. Things like X-Rays, high intensity lighting, autoclaves, lab equipment, and all kinds of power hungry equipment no stinking Bimodal system and batteries can handle. Well unless it is a head shrinker who uses candles, ganja, and aroma therapy.

You came after me and I will have the last word.
        Last edited by Sunking; 10-14-2018, 11:41 AM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• solardreamer
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle

I guess one person's "hassle" is another persons way to say money. IMO a generator is still cheaper then batteries and really requires less maintenance then any ICE vehicle.
          I agree about maintenance for ICE vehicles that's a key reason why I switched to EV. It's been great not having to deal with engines, radiators, oils, etc.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

I agree about maintenance for ICE vehicles that's a key reason why I switched to EV. It's
            been great not having to deal with engines, radiators, oils, etc.
            The EV may fit well into requirements for many. I have not heard much about what can and
            does go wrong with them, how you can manage to get them fixed, how they tow, if they come
            in all wheel drive, and a few other things. I do know the car in the garage can be (and has been)
            driven to any border in a day (2 days to California), and repairs are entirely within range of what
            I can do. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

I agree about maintenance for ICE vehicles that's a key reason why I switched to EV. It's been great not having to deal with engines, radiators, oils, etc.
              My friends went for a drive for a weekend at lake tahoe, in their new EV. Charging stations were non-functional, took hours, and they basically saved a lot on rooms, since they were stuck on the road in limbo, sleeping in the car. They did get to the lake, but had to leave the same day to get back.
              EV's are still not ready for vacation trips
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mike90250

My friends went for a drive for a weekend at lake tahoe, in their new EV. Charging stations were non-functional, took hours, and they basically saved a lot on rooms, since they were stuck on the road in limbo, sleeping in the car. They did get to the lake, but had to leave the same day to get back.
                Sounds like from what you recount that while the EV's may or may not be ready for prime time, the charging stations aren't as far along in the development stage. Maybe sleeping in the vehicle could be thought of as tuition for learning the worth of the trust but verify M.O.

Comment

• solardreamer
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by bcroe

The EV may fit well into requirements for many. I have not heard much about what can and
                  does go wrong with them, how you can manage to get them fixed, how they tow, if they come
                  in all wheel drive, and a few other things. I do know the car in the garage can be (and has been)
                  driven to any border in a day (2 days to California), and repairs are entirely within range of what
                  I can do. Bruce Roe
                  I have had EV's for about 4 years now and so far they have been much easier and less expensive to maintain than ICEV. Will see how things go in next 4-5 years. However, not to over simplify but EV's are basically glorified golf carts with better batteries and motors so they could be a reasonable proxy reference for EV maintenance cost and complexity over long term.

Comment

• solardreamer
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250

I agree most EV's are only good for daily commutes and not long road trips. However, I just got one that has 300 miles range so things are improving.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

I agree most EV's are only good for daily commutes and not long road trips. However, I just got one that has 300 miles range so things are improving.
                      Question: After owning/diving EV's for some time, can you make any comment or offer opinion re: published range vs. day/day real life range or range decrease as f(time) ?

J.P.M.

Comment

• solardreamer
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Question: After owning/diving EV's for some time, can you make any comment or offer opinion re: published range vs. day/day real life range or range decrease as f(time) ?

J.P.M.

My experience so far indicates the EPA range is pretty accurate for my drives but I am in mild climate. I heard EPA range is hard to achieve in cold climates. Range does decrease over time. I have seen ~5% range decrease over 3 years (~35K miles). I have read most decrease happens in the first 3-5 years then stabilizes reaching 10-15% range decrease at 100K miles. EV companies generally provide battery warranty for 8 years/100K miles with ~30% capacity decrease replacement. EV battery looks fairly straight forward to replace at relative low cost so I expect there will be more battery replacement options for old EV's as Nissan started to offer.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

My experience so far indicates the EPA range is pretty accurate for my drives but I am in mild climate. I heard EPA range is hard to achieve in cold climates. Range does decrease over time. I have seen ~5% range decrease over 3 years (~35K miles). I have read most decrease happens in the first 3-5 years then stabilizes reaching 10-15% range decrease at 100K miles. EV companies generally provide battery warranty for 8 years/100K miles with ~30% capacity decrease replacement. EV battery looks fairly straight forward to replace at relative low cost so I expect there will be more battery replacement options for old EV's as Nissan started to offer.
                          Thank you.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

If I could afford a 300mi EV I would but I do not see one in the near future that will work out here in the country (10 miles to the grocery store) or if they will ever have free charging stations in town.

I believe the EV's are improving and we will see more but until the cost comes down I will focus on a 2nd hand ICE.

Comment

Working...