X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jgd108
    • Jun 2016

SDG&E turning system on just before PTO?

Hello! Quick question.

Couldn't find exact info in the forums, and most of it is dated pre-smart meters online.

Today I just passed final inspection with the City, and the fast track process with SDG&E has started with the interconnection payment done.

Installer estimates about a week turn around to get PTO.
    Also said I can leave the system on..

I've been running it for the past hour, I estimated my usage to be < 0.3KWH but my system has increased by 2 or 3 KWH (generated about 3.5KWH in that hour with Solar).
    Even though the smart meter shows -3KWH it does seem like it is getting counted as consumption anyways?

I know I won't be paid on my generation until I get PTO, but would I be charged for what I actually produce?

To clarify another aspect, if I consume more than I produce (running AC, charging EV, etc.) then I wouldn't pay for my generation at that time, and could potentially reduce my consumption?

Please clarify thanks! Will do another hour of testing now with AC on, and will turn off the system and check my use tomorrow morning..
    Attached Files
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

What have you done to trty to find the answer on your own ?

Have you called SDG & E and asked them ?

I'd get the answer from the horse's mouth.

I've found them to be reasonably responsive even if it takes a bit of persistence.

Give it a try.

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by jgd108
      I know I won't be paid on my generation until I get PTO, but would I be charged for what I actually produce?
      It has been my experience that the signoff process is purely administrative; unless they have to change your meter, the meter is already capable of monitoring and recording power backfeed. So there's no further work needed there to separate demand from backfeed.

As to their administrative process - as per JPM, give them a call.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

If you can see the meter "unwinding" you are likely OK (to not get charge for buying the power you are giving to the Grid)
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jgd108
          • Jun 2016

Thanks guys for your help.

I was waiting until this morning for the hourly readings to update from yesterday.

After going through them it appears that I'm getting charged for my generation for the portion that is greater than my consumption.

If my consumption is higher than my production, I'm only getting charged for the difference coming from the grid.

So basically if I want to test the system before PTO, I need to be either running AC or charging the EV so that my consumption stays higher than my generation!

Tweaking further if I know my production is 3.5kwh I might set the car charger amperage to draw just above that

That might come handy later to shave off a bit of the NBC charges by self consuming the solar power.

Comment

• jgd108
            • Jun 2016

Just to wrap up this post for future searches, that might be useful since I couldn't find a definitive answer myself.

On Monday at 9:30am the smart meter was reset remotely by SDG&E with the readings at zero.

Also new displays appeared showing REC and DEL as explained here:
            https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/f...ct%20Sheet.pdf

I only got PTO the following morning (Tuesday) but turned on my system on Monday anyway and looking at my Energy data on their website I saw that it had switched to 15min intervals and showed negatives !

Long story short: if you turn on your solar before PTO, if the meter hasn't been reset make sure to consume more than you generate otherwise they charge you for what you send back!
            After the meter is reset, your PTO should be coming shortly and will be able to send energy back to the grid!

Thanks guys for all the help, what a journey it has been. Learned a ton! Big shout out to J.P.M. for sure!!
            Last edited by jgd108; 10-05-2018, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...