X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • organic farmer
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

My definition of a "credit" on my electric bill for sending kWH to the POCO is the same as being "paid" for what I am generating.

Also most Net Metering contracts "zero out" at the end of the 12 months it started on. The big problem is that some POCO's pay the customer the same $/kWh it charges them but other POCO's pay less then what they charge. Each state has an organization (PSC) that is supposed to regulate what the POCO can charge or pay back. It is widely different across all of the POCO's.
    Right, you put a Kwh of power onto the grid and you get a brownie point for it. If a week later you need a Kwh from the grid you can get it.

Each brownie point is good for 1-year, at the end of that year any brownie points not used, expire.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by organic farmer

I dont know, maybe I am 'weong'.

But it sure sounds like others can get paid money.

I have commonly read about people doing an annual balancing up. Or whatever the phrase is.
      Some areas give you credit for NEG (net excess generaton) at wholesale rate. That is not payed for all generation, it is credit for Excess Generation which few peoole have, and most power companies do not pay for. For some it just goes away.
      Last edited by ButchDeal; 09-30-2018, 11:28 PM.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

Maine's governor and his supporters in the legislature have been actively gnawing away at solar incentives for a few years.There are 16 counties in the state and only 3 of them are really prosperous with strip along with a skinny strip along the southern half of the Maine coast. Once you get inland its very poor and rural with a few cities inland along the major rivers (left over from the states forest industry). About a quarter of the state has no public roads and is still in township status.The rural areas of the state used to be agricultural breadbasket for Boston in the 1800s and has been losing population ever since. Rural farmland is relatively cheap and there is recent influx of Amish and Mennonites into the rural areas. The weather can be hard on the rural electric grid and due to low population density its expensive to keep the power on and reliable. The net result is power bills are expensive and whatever politicians are in control are always trying to shift the costs around. Maine did have good net metering standards but recent government actions (following the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) playbook) have made grid tied solar far less attractive. Of late not a lot of home solar being installed except in the more prosperous southern counties where folks have more money to burn. ALEC is the Koch Brothers anti solar organization that along with many other things pumps money and guidance into anti solar legislation).

More power to Organic Farmer if he has figured out a way to make a buck in a rural area. If he is willing to make the lifestyle changes to run on off grid power that is a choice but expect few normal consumers will be willing to do so. Many folks who want a rural lifestyle in New England have been attracted to rural areas of Maine (usually just inland from the coast) since the sixties, some figure out a way to buck the trend but many end up heading back to civilization.

Next door in NH the state still has a rich poor split between counties but the split is 7 prosperous counties and 2 less so and one poor rural one. Solar has a lot of support but ALEC and the states newest governor has been trying to chip away at net metering. The governor recently vetoed an extension of net metering so unless things change new grid tied systems are going to shift out of state. The state has a small solar incentive up front funded by regional greenhouse gas money but through legislative actions the funding for the incentive gets frozen on occasion. The net metering incentive is good, there is no 12 month clock, credit carries over as long as there is electric service to the property. There is a yearly offer if an owner wants to sell power at a wholesale rate but they dont have to take it. There are attempts to put in distribution charges on newer net metered accounts and the state does charge a small tax on all power being sent from the grid including net metered generation. The NH SREC market is not very lucrative, the states utilities control the PUC and artificially keep the pricing quite low.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by organic farmer

Right, you put a Kwh of power onto the grid and you get a brownie point for it. If a week later you need a Kwh from the grid you can get it.

Each brownie point is good for 1-year, at the end of that year any brownie points not used, expire.
          I guess the moral of the story is to either "use more" or "generate less" if being "even" at the end of the year is important to you.

Comment

• organic farmer
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by peakbagger
            Maine's governor and his supporters in the legislature have been actively gnawing away at solar incentives for a few years.There are 16 counties in the state and only 3 of them are really prosperous with strip along with a skinny strip along the southern half of the Maine coast. Once you get inland its very poor and rural with a few cities inland along the major rivers (left over from the states forest industry). About a quarter of the state has no public roads and is still in township status.The rural areas of the state used to be agricultural breadbasket for Boston in the 1800s and has been losing population ever since. Rural farmland is relatively cheap and there is recent influx of Amish and Mennonites into the rural areas. The weather can be hard on the rural electric grid and due to low population density its expensive to keep the power on and reliable. The net result is power bills are expensive and whatever politicians are in control are always trying to shift the costs around. Maine did have good net metering standards but recent government actions (following the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) playbook) have made grid tied solar far less attractive. Of late not a lot of home solar being installed except in the more prosperous southern counties where folks have more money to burn. ALEC is the Koch Brothers anti solar organization that along with many other things pumps money and guidance into anti solar legislation).

More power to Organic Farmer if he has figured out a way to make a buck in a rural area. If he is willing to make the lifestyle changes to run on off grid power that is a choice but expect few normal consumers will be willing to do so. Many folks who want a rural lifestyle in New England have been attracted to rural areas of Maine (usually just inland from the coast) since the sixties, some figure out a way to buck the trend but many end up heading back to civilization.

Next door in NH the state still has a rich poor split between counties but the split is 7 prosperous counties and 2 less so and one poor rural one. Solar has a lot of support but ALEC and the states newest governor has been trying to chip away at net metering. The governor recently vetoed an extension of net metering so unless things change new grid tied systems are going to shift out of state. The state has a small solar incentive up front funded by regional greenhouse gas money but through legislative actions the funding for the incentive gets frozen on occasion. The net metering incentive is good, there is no 12 month clock, credit carries over as long as there is electric service to the property. There is a yearly offer if an owner wants to sell power at a wholesale rate but they dont have to take it. There are attempts to put in distribution charges on newer net metered accounts and the state does charge a small tax on all power being sent from the grid including net metered generation. The NH SREC market is not very lucrative, the states utilities control the PUC and artificially keep the pricing quite low.
            The majority of Maine's 986 towns are un-organized [52% of Maine is un-organized townships]. They generally lack pavement and power grid.

In my township 75% of solar power installations are off-grid.

The primary reason for solar power in Maine is because the power grid is so unreliable, and many towns simply do not have power grid in those towns.

When I moved to Maine, many farm properties I viewed were in excess of 20 miles from the nearest power grid.
            4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Wholesale solar in Shasta has been good to me, with great prices.

I know of no vendor selling "kits" that has a complete, suitable kit. Every install (except on model B tract homes) is going to be different, each code inspector wants something different. No kit can support that. If this causes you difficulty, perhaps your install in not suitable for a kit, and you need a properly engineered solution.
              Take for example, a Kit airplane or Kit car. Those often have many pieces not included, that the builder has to supply. Many model airplane kits don't include the needed glue or paint
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by peakbagger

That adds some needed perspective. Thank you.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  Wholesale solar in Shasta has been good to me, with great prices.

I know of no vendor selling "kits" that has a complete, suitable kit. Every install (except on model B tract homes) is going to be different, each code inspector wants something different. No kit can support that. If this causes you difficulty, perhaps your install in not suitable for a kit, and you need a properly engineered solution.
                  Take for example, a Kit airplane or Kit car. Those often have many pieces not included, that the builder
                  has to supply. Many model airplane kits don't include the needed glue or paint
                  Right, experience here is a kit is just a calculated list of parts, with no drawings, at a not advantageous
                  price. Does not include ground mount stuff, forget any simple way to change tilt. For the same $
                  I have built a far stronger array out of standard 6061 stock I drilled, instead of clamps in slots that can
                  slip off if stress causes any movement. Bruce Roe

Comment

• tyab
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2016

I started with a kit from Wholesale solar - self installed - and was able to negotiate the price down by getting quotes from some of their competitors. I ended up getting them to eat the shipping and mostly matching price on the IronRidge stuff - that is where they were going full retail. I live in CA so sales tax could not be avoided. Naturally they still made some $ but based on my other quotes it was acceptable to me. Overall I could have pieced everything out and could have saved a bit and from some suppliers the sales tax but everything arrived packaged properly and the one minor issue I had was quickly resolved (incorrect mid-clamps received). For the electrical design, they custom roll it to what you want and I had no issue getting the .DWG file and from there I continued myself with additional changes. Not everyone is proficient with AutoCAD so that may or may not be important to you.

My setup was a complete custom setup and there is no way any kit could cover my needs but that was a good starting point - panels, inverters, rails, cables and misc stuff from mostly Iron Ridge. Add to that massive amounts of wire, piping, EMT, conduit, stainless hardware, stainless tubing, misc electrical stuff, sub-panels and on and on. Again my ground mount setup is completely outside of the typical roof install package.

My overall experience from them was positive but I went in informed and was comfortable negotiating a better deal.
                    Last edited by tyab; 10-02-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...