X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scdaren
    • Aug 2018

REC vs SunPower for System Expansion

We currently have a 28 panel SunPower 6.4kw system installed in 2011. Recently built a pool with a heat pump we seem to be running more often than expected, our electric bills are going up, so I would like to get some more solar panels on our roof. Looks like we need somewhere between a 4 and 5 kw expansion to cover 100% of electrical usage.

I have two quotes, and can't decide. Here are the quotes:

Quote 1 - Pacific Solar
    This is from the company that installed my original SunPower solar panels. I really like these guys, they are very professional and the system they installed for me has worked out great -- no issues whatsoever in 7 years, and would completely recommend them. They are quoting 12 SunPower x22-360 panels, cost is $17,108 for a 4.32KW system ($3.96/W), offering 3.99% 10 year financing. Each panel has a microinverter.

Quote 2 - Solar Negotiators / Solar Maintenance Pros
    From another local company that gets great reviews and has an excellent reputation, known for being the low cost leader. They are quoting 18 REC Twin Peak 2 290W panels; with Solar Edge 5000 HD Wave inverter and Solar Edge optimizers on each panel. Price is $16,150 for a 5.22KW system ($3.09/W). Their financing sucks, so best deal is 6.5% 10 year with my credit union.

The price comes out to about the same on these two systems when factoring in tax credits and the difference in finance cost -- it comes down to 4.32KW SunPower vs. 5.22KW REC for same price.

Here are some concerns I have between the two:

-- We are grandfathered into a tiered energy rate plan with PG&E. If we increase the system by more than 10%, PG&E requires us to move to a new time of use plan. Pacific Solar says there is no need for us to even tell PG&E we are doing this, and we can stay with our current plan (until everyone gets moved to TOU in 2020). The REC dealer says no such thing, that we would have to move to TOU. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with doing this "under the table", obviously PG&E would be able to tell we expanded the system if they thought to look. Has anyone had experience in this situation? Seems a bit sketchy to me not telling PG&E, and TOU wouldn't make a huge difference if we modify our habits a little.

-- I see some info on here about REC panels, but not a lot. I don't see much in the way of negative reviews, and I think the consensus is that SunPower is not worth the extra cost for that brand name. Is this correct? At the same price point, would you take 5.22KW of REC panels over 4.32KW of SunPower?

-- What about the advantage of microinverters on the SunPower panels vs. the SolarEdge optimizers and single inverter the REC dealer uses? I've seen conflicting opinions on here of microinverters vs optimizers. I probably will have a shading issue in one area so I think I need one or the other.

-- I have plenty of space on both east and west facing roof areas. However, the west facing (the bettter side I think because of TOU) gets a triangular shaped shadow in the late afternoons from the peak of neighbors roof. The additional panel real estate the REC system requires probably means either more eastern exposure, or more panels subject to shading toward end of day on the west side.

I'm attaching a picture of my roof, the dark red triangular box I have on here represents the area that gets shaded in late afternoon.

Thanks so much for your help, I apologize that I'm a noob on here and probably asking things addressed elsewhere on here, but I couldn't get direct enough answers to help me make a decision with what I could find.

roof.jpg
    Attached Files
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

1.FIRST: Never apologize for unintentional ignorance which is no more than something you don't know yet. That's unnecessary B.S. But so is not doing your own homework and expecting to be spoon fed answers and not doing things you could just as well at least start doing for yourself.
    2.) And this is VERY important - homework time - look at how PG & E handles system expansions under NEM. I'm pretty sure you'll find that they want to know what your planning to do. After you check the NEM rules on your own, call PG & E and confirm what you've read.
    2.) Determine how much extra power you want to produce - get a number in kWh/yr. Start there. If it's 100 % of new use, fine, but know how much in kWh/yr. over current year's usage you want as a goal.
    3.) Why such different size systems ? If you read as much here as you say, you'll surely have read that decent systems produce about the same annual output/STC kW. Shading aside for a minute (only), if anyone's 4.32 kW system will meet your (added) requirements, so will anyone else's 4.32 kW system. So why a 20 % larger REC system ? Either S.P. is undersizing (which will never happen), or they are working to different added loads (see #2 above) or the REC dealer is dancing with your leg. Non S.P. systems will require about 20 % more AREA (not 20% more installed capacity) for the same system size of, say, ~ 4.32 STC kW. A non S.P., say, 4.2 STC kW system may take some additional area, so put as much of it in the non shaded area as possible. You'll still be $$ ahead over the S.P. unnecessary $/ STC W premium, particularly when you realize you won't need a larger (electrical) size non S.P system and can therefore probably make a not S.P. system less than that 5.22 STC kW system the REC peddler was going to foist on you.

Bottom line(s): Get informed, get the added load(s) right, get the system electrical size right by using PVWatts, avoid S.P. for the excessive price, and stay out of the shade as much as possible.

AND, MOST important : Get correct information about NEM from the CPUC and published stuff from PG & E and then CALL PG & E after you get knowledgeable. Basically, try very hard to know the answers to the questions you'll be asking before you ask those questions. You'll get a bonus education by learning a bit about what people you talk with don't know, particularly vendors. Such knowledge helps with decision making.

Know too, that there seems to be some quality/reliability questions about S.P. and their new, super dooper micro systems. See prior and fairly recent posts on this forum.

Also important : I'd also check the IRS rulings and published stuff about whether or not a residence can get an additional tax credit for what sounds like may/might be considered a second PV system. I'd not expect a vendor to be forthcoming with that information if they thought it would make it harder to close a sale. Do not rely on people with skin in the game to give you any honest information in these matters.

Welcome to the neighborhood and to the forum of few(er) illusions.

Take what you may want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• azdave
      • Oct 2014

I gave you my comments already on the other non-solar forum we belong to where you posted these questions. Welcome and let's see what others have to say about your options. Many members here are wayyyy more experienced than I.
      Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• scdaren
        • Aug 2018

Thank you JPM.

-- I know PGE requires me to go to TOU rates. Basically, this solar company is going to avoid that by not telling PGE about the new panels. I think this is probably shady at best, illegal at worst, so even if I go with them, I will have them do it above board with respect to PGE and lose my grandfathered rate plan. PGE has an analysis tool online that says I would have paid $200 more on my last true-up if I had been on the TOU plan, but that does not account for any changes in habits we would make to reduce peak use, so I think it's not a huge deal.

-- So figuring out my use is a bit tricky. I have a new pool, with a heat pump. The pool pump is not too hard to estimate because I know the power use and number of hours I'll need to run it per day. However, the heat pump is another story. It uses MUCH more power, and my use from it comes from how much I heat the pool -- I don't really know yet what that number will be. My usage for the past 12 months was 5767 kwh, and both quotes targeted 100% of that use (how they came up with such different sizes, I don't know, I'm going to follow your advice and work on the PVWatts). But only the May-Aug portion of that 5767 number includes the pool pump and heat pump use. I'll be running that pump hard in April, September, and maybe into October, and of course the pool pump year round. My best guess is that my annual use will end up somewhere around 8000 kwh. I don't think PGE will allow me to put on a system that's 138% of my 12 month running use, and I don't know I can fit or want that may more panels on my roof anyway. So at this point I'm thinking bigger is better (and admittedly I already have that mindset kind of buit-in from regretting not going bigger originally).

-- With regard to IRS, I have read their publications, and I don't see anything about not being able to take the tax credit again. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

And thanks for your input azdave!
        Last edited by scdaren; 08-31-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

You are welcome. Thank you for not acting like a whining, petulant child as is common around here.

What's your zip ? You've got a 6.4 STC kW system for ~ 5, 800 kWh/yr. use. Even with E-W orientation, unless you've got a lot of boatload of shading on that array, and if you are in No. CA, I've gotta' believe you're WAY oversized for your current stated electrical load. What does your PG & E bill say about something called excess generation ?

On not notifying the POCO, you'll get caught, first by the POCO and then the AHJ if you do not ensure the vendor notifies them. You'll go off tiered rates at some point anyway, as we all probably will, but not keeping proper authority or the POCO informed of your intentions is a fool's game. It will not come to a good end. You could also potentially run into legal hassles and the loss of NEM or such like. Being proactive in such matters works out better.

Know that it's YOUR responsibility to notify the POCO about system changes, NOT the vendor's.

Also, and to repeat, check with the IRS on eligibility for tax credit for the second of two systems.

If you have natural gas available, and assuming from your posts that you are heating pool water with a heat pump, my question might be, why a heat pump ? Or did heat pump peddler tell you it was cheaper than nat. gas ? One other question, do you have and use an effective pool cover. If not, and if you get an effective pool cover - and use it - you can probably reduce the pool heating load by something like half over not using a pool cover. Just sayin'. As for pool heating load, hard to say. That's dependent on many variables like temp. diff pool H2O to air temp. A big part of the heating load comes from wind and also from something called the dew point temp. Read up. Google is your friend. Just remember that rules of thumb, particularly for pool heating are better for measuring thumbs than heat loads.

FWIW, and NOMB, but I'd consider a good and usable pool cover. I'd also have considered solar pool water collectors after the pool cover way before a heat pump system.

Comment

• scdaren
            • Aug 2018

Thanks. Those use numbers are for our power consumption after accounting for the generation of our current system -- in other words, our true-up bill. I'm generating and using an additional ~8400 kwh a year on the current system. Zip code is 93619. I actually just checked that system against PVWatts, and looks like it is performing exactly as it should be

With regard to heat pump vs. gas -- I have not done the math myself, but it seems to be fairly widely accepted around here that given our electric and gas prices, the heat pump is the most efficient solution, especially for those with solar. People going gas generally either have an attached hot tub they need to heat, or want to heat year-round. The heat pump only works with ambient temps above 55 F. My pool builder is a good friend of mine and had no financial incentive to go either way. Roughly, I can increase 1 degree F per hour with the heat pump, running at around 6 kw, so 6 kwh per degree increase. One of the things I underestimated going in is the amount of shade from some southside trees in my neighbors yard, already in August shading quite a bit of the pool, and we are already running the heat. But all that aside, one of the biggest variables is how often we decide to swim. If we are busy doing other things a few weekends in September and not heating the pool those weekends makes a huge difference, and that could change year to year. Bottom line, raising the temp to bathwater for a weekend costs me somewhere around $30-40 at the most. It's cheap entertainment vs spending our time at the movies, or going somewhere else with the kids. We have found that our costs for eating out, weekend trips out of town to get out of the heat, and other activities have dropped substantially now that we have a pool and spend more time at home.

A cover definitely would help, and would allow us to keep it warm full time instead of just on weekends. But I do not have a very big yard, and between the space a cover would take up, and the hassle of dealing with it, I just don't want one.

Comment

• w00dy
              • Jul 2015

I wonder if you could look at moving some or all of the east panels to the west side roof? You could also add a panel or two (the 10% allowed) as an upgrade at the same time - you could then switch to the latest TOU plan with PG&E to keep you on NEM 1.0.

With regards to the pool, the filter pump could be run all off-peak and the heat pump could also run off-peak - which would help you maximize your peak generating time with a more west facing array...might be easier than an entirely new system. I am not sure PG&E's rate calculator will really do good comparisons related to TOU and generation potential - so you aren't getting a true picture of how well a better facing system will perform.

Comment

• scdaren
                • Aug 2018

Originally posted by w00dy
                I wonder if you could look at moving some or all of the east panels to the west side roof? You could also add a panel or two (the 10% allowed) as an upgrade at the same time - you could then switch to the latest TOU plan with PG&E to keep you on NEM 1.0.

With regards to the pool, the filter pump could be run all off-peak and the heat pump could also run off-peak - which would help you maximize your peak generating time with a more west facing array...might be easier than an entirely new system. I am not sure PG&E's rate calculator will really do good comparisons related to TOU and generation potential - so you aren't getting a true picture of how well a better facing system will perform.
                The panels we are adding west facing seems better because of TOU. The only issue is that I get some shading on the west side. It takes a bit of guesswork to figure out if the shading will cancel out the TOU benefit on the west side, and it would probably change with the time of year. Also TOU peak is weekdays 4 pm to 9 pm, May to October, so it's not exactly prime generating hours anyway. On 2 out of 7 days a week I am better off on the unshaded east side since there is no TOU advantage on weekends. Probably my best bet is to put as many as I can on the west side, while trying to avoid the triangle of shade from the peak of my neighbors roof, then the rest on east. With that plan, the higher-powered, more expensive SP panels have an advantage, because I can fit more on the unshaded west area.

I definitely plan to run the pool equipment off peak. Getting my wife to not do laundry during her favorite laundry-doing hours though may be more difficult

Comment

• w00dy
                  • Jul 2015

Originally posted by scdaren

I definitely plan to run the pool equipment off peak. Getting my wife to not do laundry during her favorite laundry-doing hours though may be more difficult
                  I fight the same battle on TOU - I have resorted to dropping my stuff in the washer on my way to work as it means it gets cycled through and finished earlier in the morning or after dinner when I remember to put it in the dryer...

We have a gas dryer so I don't think it burns too much actual electricity running it at peak time.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Thanks. Those use numbers are for our power consumption after accounting for the generation of our current system -- in other words, our true-up bill. I'm generating and using an additional ~8400 kwh a year on the current system. Zip code is 93619. I actually just checked that system against PVWatts, and looks like it is performing exactly as it should be

With regard to heat pump vs. gas -- I have not done the math myself, but it seems to be fairly widely accepted around here that given our electric and gas prices, the heat pump is the most efficient solution, especially for those with solar. People going gas generally either have an attached hot tub they need to heat, or want to heat year-round. The heat pump only works with ambient temps above 55 F. My pool builder is a good friend of mine and had no financial incentive to go either way. Roughly, I can increase 1 degree F per hour with the heat pump, running at around 6 kw, so 6 kwh per degree increase. One of the things I underestimated going in is the amount of shade from some southside trees in my neighbors yard, already in August shading quite a bit of the pool, and we are already running the heat. But all that aside, one of the biggest variables is how often we decide to swim. If we are busy doing other things a few weekends in September and not heating the pool those weekends makes a huge difference, and that could change year to year. Bottom line, raising the temp to bathwater for a weekend costs me somewhere around $30-40 at the most. It's cheap entertainment vs spending our time at the movies, or going somewhere else with the kids. We have found that our costs for eating out, weekend trips out of town to get out of the heat, and other activities have dropped substantially now that we have a pool and spend more time at home.

A cover definitely would help, and would allow us to keep it warm full time instead of just on weekends. But I do not have a very big yard, and between the space a cover would take up, and the hassle of dealing with it, I just don't want one.
                    So your total annual electrical usage is ~ 8,400 kWh/yr. + 5,800 kWh/yr = ~ 14,200 kWh/yr. ? Just trying to understand.

On the cover, makes no difference to me whether you have one or not, but know it can cut the pool heat load ~ in half if used. A cover BTW, will usually mean the water temp. is, on average, warmer, particularly after periods of no use, making the time to swimmable temps. after such non use probably shorter. Just sayin'.

Usually, pool heaters are sized to maintain a water temp. based on pool heat loss rate(s) which are mostly f(environment variables, cover/no cover) and not the rate at which the pool water temp. can be raised. A cover BTW will usually mean the water temp. is, on average warmer, particularly after periods of no use, making the time to swimmable temps. probably shorter.

As for space, ease of use and convenience, I had a motorized cover when I lived in Albuquerque. The cover was dark brown, well fitted and doubled as a solar pool heater. I had a nat. gas heater but it almost never fired. The H2O stayed 85 F. or above from early April through late Oct. or so. Summers tend to be warm. Winters and shoulder seasons tend to be mild, but frosys are not uncommon. The cover system came with the pool and house and wasn't cheap, but not as costly as a heat pump. The dark Brown cover was my contribution.

Ever live with a pool before ?

Comment

• scdaren
                      • Aug 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.

So your total annual electrical usage is ~ 8,400 kWh/yr. + 5,800 kWh/yr = ~ 14,200 kWh/yr. ? Just trying to understand.

On the cover, makes no difference to me whether you have one or not, but know it can cut the pool heat load ~ in half if used. A cover BTW, will usually mean the water temp. is, on average, warmer, particularly after periods of no use, making the time to swimmable temps. after such non use probably shorter. Just sayin'.

Usually, pool heaters are sized to maintain a water temp. based on pool heat loss rate(s) which are mostly f(environment variables, cover/no cover) and not the rate at which the pool water temp. can be raised. A cover BTW will usually mean the water temp. is, on average warmer, particularly after periods of no use, making the time to swimmable temps. probably shorter.

As for space, ease of use and convenience, I had a motorized cover when I lived in Albuquerque. The cover was dark brown, well fitted and doubled as a solar pool heater. I had a nat. gas heater but it almost never fired. The H2O stayed 85 F. or above from early April through late Oct. or so. Summers tend to be warm. Winters and shoulder seasons tend to be mild, but frosys are not uncommon. The cover system came with the pool and house and wasn't cheap, but not as costly as a heat pump. The dark Brown cover was my contribution.

Ever live with a pool before ?
                      Right, total annual use around 14,000 kwh, probably soon to be around 16,000 kwh.

I completely agree with you on all the benefits of a pool cover. My dad has one on his pool, he has the same heat pump I do, but a bigger pool. He keeps his pool at like 90 degrees, and says the pump doesn't run that often. My pool is freeform and not designed for an automated cover. If I put one on it would sit on a big giant spool at the end of my pool and would be unsightly and very much in the way, with nowhere to put it when not in use. I completely get all the benefits, I just don't like the drawbacks of having a cover, both for space and aesthetics. For me, I'd just rather pay the power costs than have a big cover in my yard and on my pool. There are some smaller foldable covers that you can put on the pool and they float around for partial coverage. Not sure how well they work, but I may do something like that, just haven't got around to looking into it yet.

Heater is maybe oversized, we put on the biggest they sell, and it has a chiller mode too for when the water gets too warm. The big unit did not cost that much more than the smaller one, and heats the water faster, which is a big benefit for us. It was actually kind of an afterthought during our pool build that we added at the last minute. We second-guessed it at the time primarily because of the space it takes up and also the $5k it added to our build cost, but I am SO happy we have it. It's been working great, and makes night swimming so much more pleasant. Gas would have been cheaper up front, but cost more to heat in the long run. In any event, the debate is moot because we have the heat pump, and would make zero sense to replace it. But I don't think I would do any different had I to do it again.

This is our first pool.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Right, total annual use around 14,000 kwh, probably soon to be around 16,000 kwh.

I completely agree with you on all the benefits of a pool cover. My dad has one on his pool, he has the same heat pump I do, but a bigger pool. He keeps his pool at like 90 degrees, and says the pump doesn't run that often. My pool is freeform and not designed for an automated cover. If I put one on it would sit on a big giant spool at the end of my pool and would be unsightly and very much in the way, with nowhere to put it when not in use. I completely get all the benefits, I just don't like the drawbacks of having a cover, both for space and aesthetics. For me, I'd just rather pay the power costs than have a big cover in my yard and on my pool. There are some smaller foldable covers that you can put on the pool and they float around for partial coverage. Not sure how well they work, but I may do something like that, just haven't got around to looking into it yet.

Heater is maybe oversized, we put on the biggest they sell, and it has a chiller mode too for when the water gets too warm. The big unit did not cost that much more than the smaller one, and heats the water faster, which is a big benefit for us. It was actually kind of an afterthought during our pool build that we added at the last minute. We second-guessed it at the time primarily because of the space it takes up and also the $5k it added to our build cost, but I am SO happy we have it. It's been working great, and makes night swimming so much more pleasant. Gas would have been cheaper up front, but cost more to heat in the long run. In any event, the debate is moot because we have the heat pump, and would make zero sense to replace it. But I don't think I would do any different had I to do it again.

This is our first pool.
                        Thank you.

Comment

• scdaren
                          • Aug 2018

I got a third quote from the company my parents used. Came in at $2.75 a watt for a 5 kw system with Canadian Solar panels and Solaredge inverter and optimizers. Sold!

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

I got a third quote from the company my parents used. Came in at $2.75 a watt for a 5 kw system with Canadian Solar panels and Solaredge inverter and optimizers. Sold!
                            Buying on low initial price is a goal of a fool. Look for most long term bang for the buck, particularly through the quality, reputation and longevity of the installer. Buy cheap, but twice. Low buck vendors - the Larry with a ladder types without a long business record can and will screw you in ways you can't begin too fathom. How long has your parent's array been up/running ?

Comment

• scdaren
                              • Aug 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Buying on low initial price is a goal of a fool. Look for most long term bang for the buck, particularly through the quality, reputation and longevity of the installer. Buy cheap, but twice. Low buck vendors - the Larry with a ladder types without a long business record can and will screw you in ways you can't begin too fathom. How long has your parent's array been up/running ?
                              Haha.. the guy's name is actually Larry! They have had their system for about 4 years, and it is a well known local provider that has been around for about 10 years.

Lifestyle Solar reviews and complaints, reviews of the brands of solar panels they sell, their locations and the cost of installations reported to us for 2024. Get the best deal.

This organization is not BBB accredited. Solar Energy Equipment Dealers in Fresno, CA. See BBB rating, reviews, complaints, & more.

Comment

Working...