Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Achieving 100% zero export for Air conditioner for solaredge GTI using RRCR conf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Achieving 100% zero export for Air conditioner for solaredge GTI using RRCR conf

    Achieving 100% zero export for air conditioner for solaredge grid tie inverter using RRCR conf



    I have PV system of 1.88 kwp installed on the roof of the shed in Canada with solaredge GTI and have a energy watthour meter for import and export monitoring and have it set for zero export limitation but still some power flows back in to the grid momentarily when heavy load like Air conditioner switches off so I came up with the idea instead of thermostat controlling the Air conditioner the thermostat should switch off the inverter first (possible through RRCR conf in solaredge) and after some time delay should switch off the AC also possible for some other appliances so that no power flows out of the Grid . This is just an idea have to implement it so any input on this with help me a lot.

  • #2
    Why would you not want to export excess generation? Defeats the whole purpose.
    MSEE, PE

    Comment


    • #3
      So you're trying to set up a system that will enable you to pay to draw energy from the grid (during the time when the inverter is off and while the AC is still running), just so you don't export energy back to the grid? What is the purpose of zero export? Seems to me the real goal should be zero import from the grid.

      EDIT: Okay, so today I learned about regions with zero export regulations, which require solar systems to not feed any energy back into the grid. This is probably why the OP needs to do this.
      Last edited by Kendalf; 05-29-2018, 12:56 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        This is applicable for people who have spying smart meters and dont want to go through the Red tape imposed by utilities (Power companies)

        Comment


        • #5
          What a fricking joke. Instead of recovering your investment, you throw it all away. Please do not exercise your right to vote or else we could end up with Bernie Sanders as POTUS.
          MSEE, PE

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by roy2003boy View Post
            Achieving 100% zero export for air conditioner for solaredge grid tie inverter using RRCR conf

            I have PV system of 1.88 kwp installed on the roof of the shed in Canada with solaredge GTI and have a energy watthour meter for import and export monitoring and have it set for zero export limitation but still some power flows back in to the grid momentarily when heavy load like Air conditioner switches off so I came up with the idea instead of thermostat controlling the Air conditioner the thermostat should switch off the inverter first (possible through RRCR conf in solaredge) and after some time delay should switch off the AC also possible for some other appliances so that no power flows out of the Grid . This is just an idea have to implement it so any input on this with help me a lot.
            This seems silly to just do this for just the air conditioner and most would not work as they have delays in start of the compressor, some have variable speed compressors etc.

            SolarEdge has a built in function for zero export which will do the entire house load. If you really want to do it this is the only way to do it correctly.
            Other inverters can do it as well, all will require a consumption meter and settings in the inverter is all.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by roy2003boy View Post
              This is applicable for people who have spying smart meters and dont want to go through the Red tape imposed by utilities (Power companies)
              You think the smart meter is not going to notice a drop in consumption on sunny days ?
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

              solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

              Comment


              • #8
                I figured he didn't want the POCO to find out what he was doing. Why be so concerned about momentarily back feeding the grid otherwise?
                Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                6.63kW grid-tie owner

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by roy2003boy View Post
                  This is applicable for people who have spying smart meters and dont want to go through the Red tape imposed by utilities (Power companies)
                  If you are willing to do it right, the red tape is easy to cut through.

                  If you are not willing to do it right, you will be putting yourself and your neighbors at risk. (And they will catch you anyway.)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by azdave View Post
                    I figured he didn't want the POCO to find out what he was doing. Why be so concerned about momentarily back feeding the grid otherwise?
                    Because he has no contract. He will be caught and have to pay up. They will disconnect him until resolved and pay all kinds of fees to be reconnected. He will learn the hard way by loosing money. Like the ole saying goes: You have been told, now it is time you learned.

                    MSEE, PE

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I believe going off grid is a better and hassle free solution

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ...WOW....I learn so much here...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by roy2003boy View Post
                          I believe going off grid is a better and hassle free solution
                          "Better?" Depends on your goals I guess. It will _certainly_ be way more expensive.

                          "Hassle free?" The opposite is true. Maintaining and replacing batteries is far from hassle free. You'll be buying protective gear, hydrometers, and a lot of new clothing once you start working with lead acid batteries.

                          However, from what you said so far you don't want to go "off grid" - you just want to offset your loads with solar. The best way to do that is with a grid tie connection, and if you are willing to do it safely, then you can get it approved. If you are not willing to do it safely, then it certainly won't be a better and hassle free solution.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks for ur reply I am trying to get it Approved first i will try to cut throught the Red Tape without spending too much or will wait till lithium ion battery gets cheaper and popular

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Batteries are for when there is no alternative. There are some air conditioning units with a
                              solar panel input, don't know any details. Some compressors used variable speed inverter
                              drives, running off rectified AC. If you could work out feeding panel DC at that point, no
                              energy could feed back to the PoCo. Will be at least investigating this idea with my mini
                              split heat pumps, in my quest to totally crush and mutilate any warrantee. Bruce Roe

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X