This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been removing the snow off my roof panels with a window washing tool and double long handle extension. The first time i did this I found that the inverter stopped working after i was done - it could no longer hold string voltage (SolarEdge HD). I theorize that cleaning one panel at a time was a bit much for the inverter and optimizers to control.

The company sent me a new inverter which is up and running. Now i shut the inverter off before I remove snow. My interest in snow removal will likely wane as we go forward, but i would think the system should handle snow removal okay.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumSlice View Post
      I have been removing the snow off my roof panels with a window washing tool and double long handle extension. The first time i did this I found that the inverter stopped working after i was done - it could no longer hold string voltage (SolarEdge HD). I theorize that cleaning one panel at a time was a bit much for the inverter and optimizers to control.

The company sent me a new inverter which is up and running. Now i shut the inverter off before I remove snow. My interest in snow removal will likely wane as we go forward, but i would think the system should handle snow removal okay.
      Looks like a design fault. No such problems here with simple string inverters. Bruce Roe

Comment

Anyone else have a good tool to get snow off your panels without damaging the surface coating? I like the OPs idea of spacing them out which I will probably try when it gets warmer out for the next snow season, but for now I have been using a broom which I don't trust too much.

Comment

I can't see the images anymore. File not found ?
          edit: nevermind, had to login.
          Last edited by geekwithoutacause; 01-19-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Here in January is another example of the advantage of changing the tilt for snow and no snow seasons.
            Here is an array fixed in summer elevation, with a typical 4 inch snowfall. The snow is pretty much just
            lying there, waiting to be cleared. The gap between levels will make that job easier.

Sn4iS.JPG

Right across from it are a couple arrays at near vertical orientation, good for both winter production
            and snow rejection. Just a swipe would clear them, or the sun would do it before long.

Sn4iE.JPG
            Sn4iE2.JPG

Bruce Roe
            Last edited by bcroe; 01-19-2019, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
              Here in January is another example of the advantage of changing the tilt for snow and no snow seasons.
              Here is an array fixed in summer elevation, with a typical 4 inch snowfall. The snow is pretty much just
              lying there, waiting to be cleared. The gap between levels will make that job easier.

Sn4iS.JPG

Right across from it are a couple arrays at near vertical orientation, good for both winter production
              and snow rejection. Just a swipe would clear them, or the sun would do it before long.

Sn4iE.JPG
              Sn4iE2.JPG

Bruce Roe

makes sense. Another advantage of adjustable panels; shedding snow in winter.

Comment

Another snow of some 7 inches, nearly 3 feet in Jan. Once again the panels set up for winter in fact completely
                cleared themselves with a little sun. I am now going out to clear yesterdays snow from the panels fixed at a
                good summer angle. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                  Another snow of some 7 inches, nearly 3 feet in Jan. Once again the panels set up for winter in fact completely
                  cleared themselves with a little sun. I am now going out to clear yesterdays snow from the panels fixed at a
                  good summer angle. Bruce Roe
                  I would be more worried about the low temperatures they are predicting for your area. Try to stay warm my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle
                    I would be more worried about the low temperatures they are predicting for your area. Try to stay warm my friend.
                    Thanks, we are expecting severe cold Wed, but staying inside most of the time will cover that
                    if the power stays on. I have survived worse before retirement, would go out at noon and
                    run the car, to be sure it was going to start. When the PoCo statement comes in a few days,
                    will have more (pretty favorable) comments on mini split heat pump performance thru all this.
                    Bruce Roe

Comment

Got some 3" of snow last night followed by a sunny morning, and got some harvest numbers, of what the arrays produced with fresh white reflective powder on them
                      I got a pic of the panels, in the sun
                      and went to check the battery chargers, both were nearly useless
                      3Kw array 11 watts
                      2kw array 10 watts (my morning array for toast and wife's blowdryer)
                      Another hour and the panels had warmed and shed their snow, and power naturally, in the cold, really cranked
                      3Kw = 3281 watts (limited) (54V, 60.7A)
                      2Kw = 2231 watts
                      Air temp was about 30F About 8:30am
                      Background left - right Shop. Battery shed. Generator shed with chainlink door.
                      3Kw array in background, 2Kw array foreground.

20190205_081356.png
                      Last edited by Mike90250; 02-05-2019, 10:12 PM.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                        Got some 3" of snow last night followed by a sunny morning

Another hour and the panels had warmed and shed their snow, and power naturally, in the cold, really cranked
                        3Kw = 3281 watts (limited) (54V, 60.7A)
                        2Kw = 2231 watts
                        Air temp was about 30F About 8:30am
                        Those conditions did the job for you, might for me as well. However we NEVER see a sky that blue,
                        and varying degrees of clouds are the norm. And temps here are usually much lower. I have left
                        snow a little while, waiting for decent sun. Often the snow waits too. Bruce Roe
                        Last edited by bcroe; 02-05-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Mike ... Great pictures of your equipment and sheds. At least you are getting some sun in CA.

Comment

Today we have half an inch of ice on things, and complete overcast, 29 deg F. Despite that
                            the array is doing 3 KW. Nothing to do but wait for the sun to melt it, which may take quite a
                            while. But the ice is a lot thinner and completely transparent on the near vertical panels, which
                            are melting faster than the white over ice summer angle panels. Bruce Roe
                            Last edited by bcroe; 02-06-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe
                              Today we have half an inch of ice on things, and complete overcast, 29 deg F. Despite
                              that the array is doing 3 KW. Nothing to do but wait for the sun to melt it, which may take quite a
                              while. But the ice is a lot thinner and completely transparent on the near vertical panels, which
                              are melting faster than the white over ice summer angle panels. Bruce Roe
                              Days later confirmed, temps always below freezing. The near vertical mounted panels were soon
                              completely cleared by the sun. The summer angle panels took some days for the ice to finally
                              slide off in sheets. Bruce Roe

Comment

I have 20 panels on a ground rack attached to my barn (7/12 pitch), 12 on a low (6/12) pitch pool house roof and 6 on my house (7/12 pitch). I use an aluminum snow roof rake. I duct tape a 2" piece of rubber pipe insulation to the outside ends of the cutting edge. It gives me about a 3/8" space betwen the glass and aluminum cutting edge. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                                X