Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 panels x 250 watts, would this inverter work & how to wire it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 panels x 250 watts, would this inverter work & how to wire it?

Hi, so glad a forum like this exists! I read through some of the topics but I was hoping someone could help me out. I'm not sure how to interpret the Pmax Vmp and Imp on the back of my panels. I have 6, 250 watt each panels sitting in my garage.

6 x 250 is 1500 watts right - so I've gathered I need a 1500 watt grid tied inverter. I live in far south Texas where we have lots of sun, literally one of the most southern places in the USA. I think there is an island in Florida that is geograpically slightly farther south than us, but only by a bit. We definitely have full, strong sun most of the year.

I saw this very low price 1500 watt grid tied inverter for sale. At $112 with $60 shipping is a great price range to get started with solar, and see how all of this works out. The inverter can be purchased in several options, 12V to 110V, 12V to 220V, 24V to 110V, 24V to 220V, 48V to 110V, or 48V to 220V.

​​​​​​​Here is a link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Powe...ceBeautifyAB=0

My question is, the back of each of my solar panels states the following:
    Rated maximum power Pmax: 250W
    Voltage at Pmax (Vmp): 30.6 V
    Current at Pmax (Imp): 8.17 A
    Open circuit voltage (Voc): 36.9 V
    Short circuit current (Isc): 9.155 A
    Maximum system voltage: 1000 VDC

I don't see an option for a 30.6 V inverter? Even if I add two together in series (I believe you add the voltages right?) that would give a voltage of 61.2 - how could these be wired together and how would an inverter be selected? Do I go with the 48 V option or what am I missing? Not sure how to proceed or if you think this inverter would work. What would a wiring diagram look like?
    Thanks for any help! I appreciate it!

Hello LauraM and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

First off that is not really a "grid tie" inverter. It is one that you would use with either a 12v, 24v or 48v battery system to create 120 or 220v AC.

Also some inverters that can be plugged into a receptacle are called "grid tie" but are illegal in the US and at most are dangerous so please don't even look at them.

There are some legal grid tie inverters that will accept up to 600VDC input which would allow you to wire all of your panels in one series string. But you really need to know what is allowed by your POCO concerning grid tie systems.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 02-14-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

A grid tie inverter would have some listing on it as being MPPT and generally needs a string of PV panels with Vmp totaling up to at least 300V before the inverter starts up. They do not have AC outlets on them, they get wired into the main electrical panel. And a bunch of other stuff
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks for your input, the item description said grid tie inverter so I find this all very confusing. I've had the panels in the garage for over 6 months as I'm not sure what the next step is. Can anyone recommend a low price inverter that would work for these panels? Thx

Comment

Originally posted by LauraM View Post
          Thanks for your input, the item description said grid tie inverter so I find this all very confusing. I've had the panels in the garage for over 6 months as I'm not sure what the next step is. Can anyone recommend a low price inverter that would work for these panels? Thx
          Pick up a copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies". About 20 bucks at bookstores or amazon. Lots of info and descriptions you'll probably find useful. A good residential primer.

Comment

Working...
          X