Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you tell me what you think about this system and its pricing, close to a decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you tell me what you think about this system and its pricing, close to a decision

The system consists of 22 Hyundai Heavy Industries HiS-S360RI PV panels, 22 SolarEdge Technologies P400 DC Optimizers, and 1 SolarEdge Technologies SE7600A-US.

System produces 7.920 kW and costs $22,000 fully installed with all permits and a 20 year warranty. I think the cost per watt is approx. 2.78 if the cost is divided by the number of panels (22) times 360 watts per panel.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Marty

Is it with a local installer? Pricing seems right as long as it is installed by someone trustworthy that has a track record of neat, reliable work

Comment

Yes - local to NJ - business was formed in 2009 - GreenPowerEnergy, Annandale NJ - 1200 systems installed - all excellent reviews. https://greenpowerenergy.com/residential/

Comment

The price seems great , positive reviews on Yelp but only 3 and none since 2016.
        9.36 grid tied, Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by Marty456TTT View Post
          Yes - local to NJ - business was formed in 2009 - GreenPowerEnergy, Annandale NJ - 1200 systems installed - all excellent reviews. https://greenpowerenergy.com/residential/
          They installed my system. 100% recommended. I would just make sure that they add a consumption meter so that you can see what you produce vs. what you consume as you go through your day. Similar to this:
          SolarEdge1.png
          Last edited by macaddict; 02-13-2018, 12:45 AM.
          https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

Hi Marty456TTT,

My system was also installed by Green Power Energy. I also had a very positive experience and would recommended them 100%. Macaddict and I both had our systems installed in June of 2017. I, too, have consumption monitoring (SolarEdge system) which I highly recommend.

Those Hyundai panels are 72-cell -- which is potentially okay -- but keep in mind most residential panels are typically 60-cell (LG, Trina, Hanwha, etc.) or 96-cell (Panasonic/SunPower). 72-cell panels are physically larger than 60/96-cell panels. Once again this could be fine depending on the size and shape of your roof. But you might be able to fit a larger array (kW DC) if you switch to 60/96-cell panels -- albeit at a higher cost per watt.

72-cell panels tend to have a lower cost per watt (for both you and the installer) and GPE often leads with these as they do a number of commercial projects and tend to have these available at a good price.

I might suggest the newer SE 7600HD inverter. But I'm not sure if all of the infant mortality / early firmware issues have been worked out by SE yet. Others here may have more data/info. The "HD" inverters are much smaller, more efficient, and support a higher DC to AC ratio. Also, be sure to run Ethernet to the invert and pass on the cellular modem. Zigbee might also be okay some like it, some don't. Ethernet is best.

When sizing your system, depending on your goals and installation type (load side vs. line side) and panel size, pay careful attention to any potential shading due to trees, etc. As well as the pitch of your roof. Although my array (12kW) is approx 30% larger than Macaddict, because of my moderate shading and poor roof pitch (20%) our two systems yield similar kWh per year -- or at least they did last year.

I'm hoping to catch up this Spring before my oak trees get leaves in late Spring (-: Also really excited for my 30% Federal tax rebate this year. Be sure your roof is in good shape. I got mine replaced at part of my project.

https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=58372

Best,
            Jonathan

Comment

I should have added, Hyundai (like Kyocera) is a very well established panel manufacture but has historically had limited exposure to the US Commercial market and even less so for residential. Macaddict has Jinko panels -- which seem to be performing very well so far -- and outperforming my Panasonic panels given the limitations of my install.

His roof pitch of 35 degrees and no shading optimizes his productivity year round, where as my roof pitch of 20 degrees penalizes me in the Fall/Winter/Spring. While my array should be optimized for Summer months in June/July/August/Sept I have 20-50% shading in the morning and afternoon due to large, densely leaved oak trees. As a very rough rule of thumb, take your latitude and subtract 15 degrees. But for residential almost all installs are done parallel to roof pitch.

Most here on the board would recommend selecting a decent, middle of the road panel MFG at the best price per watt you can get. Panels are a commodity so overpaying for premium panels is generally discouraged. Premium brands like LG/Panasonic/SunPower have very good products, but may not offer the best value and ROI.

Comment

Working...
              X