Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying new Lennar home, forced to accept their solar...PPA or Purchase Panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fabian43 View Post
    .....We must choose PPA or purchase. ......
    Purchase, or walk. Me - why buy a new built home with an expensive appliance installed in the wrong spot ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

The other way to look at it is as if you were buying the house for 12K more with a free solar system included, would you still buy the house?

If there's a buyout on the system that's available at anytime, then go with the PPA. If there's never a buyout, then I would agree just buying it now might be best.

I'd be talking to the CPA to find the highest value he feels you can get away with claiming for a solar write-off and then have the builder do the paperwork showing the solar price that much more and the house price than much less.
      8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieEscCA View Post
        I'd be talking to the CPA to find the highest value he feels you can get away with claiming for a solar write-off and then have the builder do the paperwork showing the solar price that much more and the house price than much less.
        I'd wonder about the legality of doing that. Lessors got their tit in the IRS ringer for overpricing leased systems for the purpose of taking larger depreciation than a realistically valued system would get.
        Last edited by J.P.M.; 01-09-2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

I'd wonder about the legality of doing that. Lessors got their tit in the IRS ringer for overpricing leased systems for the purpose of taking larger depreciation than a realistically valued system would get.
          Couldn't agree more -- that's exactly why I said he/she needs to get the CPA involved.

But if you think about it, since the seller is more or less making the PPA or the outright purchase a requirement, a price of $6 per DC kW may be just as valid as their $4.88 figure. After all, I'm sure there could be some companies who still could bid this high.

Comment

Couldn't agree more -- that's exactly why I said he/she needs to get the CPA involved.

But if you think about it, since the seller is more or less making the PPA or the outright purchase a requirement, a price of $6 per DC kW may be just as valid as their $4.88 figure. After all, I'm sure there could be some companies who still could bid this high.
            Look, it's a rip off, B.S. POS scam that only works because of consumer ignorance. There's no validity to be found anywhere in it.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Look, it's a rip off, B.S. POS scam that only works because of consumer ignorance. There's no validity to be found anywhere in it.
              Totally agree that it's a rip off. But, and I haven't done any investigation, it's quite likely the solar on every home has some relationship to getting the development approved. My future house under design now has to meet some "solar reediness" requirements to get a building permit, and I'm pretty sure I read by 2021 all new houses have to meet net zero energy requirements.

Comment

The builder probably charges $400 to add an extra convenience outlet in the garage so what's new? Buy the system outright. You either accept the total purchase price of the package deal on the house or walk. I would NEVER consider a PPA. As much as you think this is your "forever" home, life can change instantly.

Some homes come with a pool you don't really want or high HOA fees. Accept it or go find another. I'm lucky. My wife would be the first to walk away a deal like that.
                Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Totally agree that it's a rip off. But, and I haven't done any investigation, it's quite likely the solar on every home has some relationship to getting the development approved. My future house under design now has to meet some "solar reediness" requirements to get a building permit, and I'm pretty sure I read by 2021 all new houses have to meet net zero energy requirements.
                  I'm sure they will at some point in time, but scams like these are counterproductive to zero energy requirements and are plain and simple B.S. that only produce gains for the scammers.

Comment

Working...
                  X