X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkosD84
    • Nov 2017

Flux pen

Hi fellows, yesterday I was welding tab-wire on the cells. When I use de flux pen for a better heat transference, the flux stain the cell. It could reduce his performance? How could I clean it? Attached you can see a picture

Thanks
    Attached Files
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Any flux residue needs to be completely cleaned off the cells before further processing.
    You should be using solder, not welding, to attach tab ribbon to the cells. (Well, that's what I'd do)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• MarkosD84
      • Nov 2017

Hi Mike! Thanks for the asnwer. I used a bad traduction, I'was soldering the tab ribbon on the cell. What do you use to clean the cell?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Generally, cells are cleaned with DI water, then triple rinsed with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, and dried in nitrogen purge oven at 70C. Any rubbing can remove the AR Coating and reduce the cell efficiency.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

I was looking at some brand new panels today with the idea I had been wondering about after reading your post and looking at your pictures. I don't know anything about building solar modules from scratch but after looking today I have to say I doubt you need to solder tabbing tape all the way across the bussing on the cells. All you need to do is connect the positive side of the cell to the negative side. It looks, from the flux all over the cells that you are soldering tabbing all the way across the cells.
          Just my $.02 and I may be wrong but had to mention it.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by littleharbor
            I have to say I doubt you need to solder tabbing tape all the way across
            the bussing on the cells. All you need to do is connect the positive side of the cell to the negative side.
            It looks, from the flux all over the cells that you are soldering tabbing all the way across the cells.
            Just my $.02 and I may be wrong but had to mention it.
            I believe those vertical traces across the cell are only capable of bring the tiny horizontals
            together for connection to the metal tabbing. A measurement would likely show the verticals
            have TOO MUCH RESISTANCE to efficiently carry the entire cell current, at very low voltage
            loss. So add that metal in parallel, all the way across. Different on the back, no need to
            let light pass. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...