Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Solaredge HD-Wave inverters have WI-FI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Solaredge HD-Wave inverters have WI-FI?

I am confused if the Solaredge HD-Wave inverters have WI-FI or not. Solaredge's website says they have WI-FI, but the data sheet and manual don't list WI-FI as a communications option.

Does anyone know for sure if these inverters have WI-FI as an option? I am hoping they do as I don't have Ethernet out to my garage. I guess I will have to use Zigbee instead if Zigbee is still an option. I was just hoping to avoid buying the Zigbee gateway.

The do in Europe, but not in the USA. I don't know why they make that geographical distinction.

I have read about issues with Zigbee on older SolarEdge inverters, but have had zero issues with it on my HD Wave. They only real negative, is having to hook up the Zigbee hub to my router.

Comment

Darn, one of the reasons to get an HD-Wave inverter was because the Solaredge website says it has WI-FI. One can get some really good prices on the older models.

Now I am going to either have to spend upwards of $300 on the Zigbee Gateway, or spend the same amount of money to trench in a conduit out to my inverter.

Comment

There are many here who suggest using a WiFi extender instead. If my installer had not effectively "given me" the zigbee, that is that I would have done.

If you go the WiFi extender route, I would avoid TP-Link. I had one briefly, and the "security" on it was pathetic. If I was going to buy another one, I would try Netgear, next.

Comment

Wouldn't I want a WI-FI bridge to convert WI-FI to ethernet and not an extender? Doesn't an extender just extend an existing WI-FI signal?

Comment

Most WiFi extenders have an ethernet port allowing them to extend a wired connect, via WiFi. You do need to read the feature list, though, for the unit you are looking at to make sure it offers that functionality. They will typically say they can be used to add WiFi to devices such as blu-ray players or TVs.

Comment

Originally posted by reader2580 View Post
              Wouldn't I want a WI-FI bridge to convert WI-FI to ethernet and not an extender? Doesn't an extender just extend an existing WI-FI signal?
              I think there's a few options if you can't run an ethernet wire.
              * zigbee
              * wifi extender / wifi bridge (something that goes from wifi to ethernet)
              * powerline ethernet bridge

I've seen some reports of success with powerline bridges - I'm sure it depends on whether same leg for both ends, and wire length from one to the other.

Personally I like hardwired ethernet - so I'd probably spend a fair amount of effort on getting an ethernet line from one spot to another. And I'm not afraid of ripping out drywall ceilings and (eventually) replacing them.

Comment

The inverter is going on the side of my detached garage. I would need to trench at least 100 feet to get from house over to the inverter to put in ethernet. It is just not worth it when I can use a WI-FI extender/bridge instead. The production data from the inverter is not critical. If the inverter was on or in the house then it would make sense to run ethernet.

I am looking at getting a Unifi Mesh Pro access point to extend wireless out to garage and also provide a bridge port for inverter.

Comment

Not sure if your garage is attached or not but given you have stated that a 100' trench would be required for wired, lets assume detached.

If your only going 100', the Unifi mesh will work fine if you have line of sight (no hill in the way). If you have trees in the way, I would not worry about it. For $100 a single Unifi AC mesh (UAP-AC-M) would be a good fit to bridge your existing wireless - it has a single gigabit port that you can connect the inverter to (or any switch if you find you need more devices there). Just need to have a 120V outlet nearby to power the PoE injector that powers that unit.

Naturally with any wireless setup, you have to think about how far and what the signal is going through. If for example your main wireless router is at one end of your home and this is at the detached garage on the opposite side of the house so that the signal needs to go through just about every wall in your home - you may need a 2nd one to boost your signal prior to leaving the home. A lot may depend on what your main router already is.

Heck you could even go the dedicated PtP (point to point) units like Airmax AC-23's (have to buy two, $59 each) and that would absolutely ensure you have a high speed connect buts its sort of overkill for that short distance. I'm using two of those myself for a longer distance with poor line of site and they work amazingly.

Another option would be power line units like a TP-Link TL-PA9020P KIT. I'm using this to get internet to my pump house and it works fine there (about 80' away). Only downside with powerline - you don't know if will work until you try it.

Comment

From my reading it appears that the regular UAP-AC-M access point cannot act as a bridge. I ordered the pro version because it has one port for POE power and a second port for bridging. I would like to have better WI-FI at home anyhow because my cell phone signal is poor and my phone does calling over WI-FI. (Verizon is bad at home, but overall has better coverage.)

There is nothing but open space between the house and garage. The garage is detached as mentioned in my previous post.

Comment

Working...
                    X