X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jlavista
    • Oct 2017

Run lights from solar, but keep the rest

i want to start small, my plan is to get a few solar panels and batteries and inverter. Ideally i would like to run all lights in the house with solar energy, but keep
    the rest of the house connected to the grid. Is this a bad idea? I would love to get an electrical panel where i could choose by switch to use solar or grid. Does this type of systems exists? what else you recommend?
    thanks!
  • AzRoute66
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2017

In my house, the lights are not on separate circuits, the lights are intermingled with outlets and appliances and smoke detectors and whatnot. With few exceptions most of my circuits are grouped into rooms or areas. Isn't your place pretty much the same way? If so, how do you plan to separate the lights from all of the rest?

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Jlavista
      . Is this a bad idea? I would love to get an electrical panel where i could choose by switch to use solar or grid. Does this type of systems exists? what else you recommend?
      thanks!
      Probably. What is your goal? To save money? Then yes it is definitely a bad idea.
      if it is to have backup power then less of a bad idea but pretty far from a good idea. Solar, and especially battery solar does not grow well. Bimodal grid tie with backup is a much better idea as well.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• NEOH
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2010

Jlavista ,
        A Transfer Switch can electrically connect one or more Circuit Breakers in your Main Panel to either the AC Grid or your PV Power

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

what else you recommend?
          Try educating yourself and answer these two question before you do anything.

1. Why on God's green earth would you volunteer for a 500 to 1000% electric rate increase the rest of your life?
          2. Are you stupid or just ignorant?

Anything you take off-gird, the electricity will cost you 5 to 10 times more than you pay now for the rest of your life in battery replacement cost. So you may be pissed off right now, I do not care. But once you learn what you are asking for, you will thank me for beating you up and getting your attention. .
          Last edited by Sunking; 10-18-2017, 02:32 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• jflorey2
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2015

i want to start small, my plan is to get a few solar panels and batteries and inverter. Ideally i would like to run all lights in the house with solar energy, but keep
            the rest of the house connected to the grid. Is this a bad idea?
            A grid tied system would be a much better idea.
            I would love to get an electrical panel where i could choose by switch to use solar or grid. Does this type of systems exists?
            Sure. How much do you want to spend?

Comment

• stefan888
              • Oct 2017

Hello. it is a great idea to start a green energy saving system. it is also easy to size such a system because lights have a specific power consumption. especially if you use LED you can not go wrong

let me know how many light you have and i will tell you what you needm there are small 2kva 110-120V inverter with built in charge. you can start with 2-4solar panels at 250W each

Stef

Comment

Working...