PV system installed, but no PTO from PG&E yet. Installer said to leave the system on...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maximus96
    • Sep 2017

PV system installed, but no PTO from PG&E yet. Installer said to leave the system on...

My PV system was installed on 10/6. The installer turned it on and said to let it run and it will offset my daytime usage for now. Last Friday it passed inspection and today I received and signed PG&E's NEM agreement.

So far it generated about 290kwh. I just saw old posts that says PG&E will bill me for the generation at the same rate as if I'm using power. All that kwh at partial peak and peak rates will be a pretty hefty bill.

Currently have a smart meter if it makes any difference.

Please advise.
    Last edited by maximus96; 10-16-2017, 07:23 PM.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Unless your POCO has programmed your smart meter to subtract anything you are sending back to the grid you could be charged for all kWh coming or going through the meter.

It comes down to what the meter is programmed to do and what your POCO will accept from you before you get your agreement.

Comment

• maximus96
      • Sep 2017

This is my installer's response,

I've never heard of that. Rob has heard that if your meter is not designed for dual directional and that you could be charged for production as consumption. Your meter is going backwards when you're producing. we just think that's just something they say to keep you from firing it up early.

It's taking 2-3 weeks for PTO to show up from PG&E.

No one on my watch has said anything about being charged anything.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by maximus96
        Unless your installer is going to make you whole if he's wrong, I'd be very careful.

Seems a simple matter to call PG & E and ask them. Probably a more authoritative source than a forum with mostly anonymous opinions.

Question: Who's "Rob" ?

Comment

• dailo
          • Jun 2016

On the email from PGE it clearly states that you shouldn't turn it on, but I left it on for a few days when I knew that I could offset the production and just draw very little from PGE. My PGE usage just shows 0 kWh used during those hours, but I turned it off today since I wouldn't be at home to offset the production. My guess is that PGE probably doesn't notice, but I'm not much of a risk taker.

As a reminder, the Customer may not operate their generator while interconnected to the PG&E system until receiving written permission from PG&E. Unauthorized Parallel Operation could result in injury to persons and/or damage to equipment and/or property for which the Customer may be liable.

Comment

• sensij
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

Maybe a good time to dust off this thread:

CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Afrmthabay
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2017

I have a smart meter and my daytime usage was free after install and also I called PG@E during install and said what happens when the installers turn my system on to test for a half a day for example if they run into problems etc would I be charged and they said absolutely not. On my smart smeter you can see when you generating power the line moves in a reverse direction. I got the permission to operate letter quick within 8 days and all they did was change my rate plan online.
              Last edited by Afrmthabay; 10-17-2017, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Afrmthabay
                I have a smart meter and my daytime usage was free after install and also I called PG@E during install and said what happens when the installers turn my system on to test for a half a day for example if they run into problems etc would I be charged and they said absolutely not. On my smart smeter you can see when you generating power the line moves in a reverse direction. I got the permission to operate letter quick within 8 days and all they did was change my rate plan online.
                And I bet that's what usually and commonly happens. But, what matters is what's in writing. No more. No less. Anecdotal stuff counts for precisely squat. The possible penalties seem to far outweigh a few days/$$ of offset. Pay your money, take your choice, but I'd suggest the smart money will check the ramifications first.

Comment

• inspron
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by maximus96
                  I would run away from your installer. He's an amature - and clearly doesn't know the basic regulations or intentionally ignoring it. Which leads to the question - what other system safety and longevity choice did he ignore? My fear is that he's also cutting corners where it matters that could cost you $$$ when the roof leaks for example.

If you have a smart meter, you will be billed for negative consumption (excess generation) period. "Oh but...they won't notice..." the POCO system is all electronics so the billing is automatic. All your excess generation will be 100% billed at your full retail consumption rate. No one has to "notice" for that to happen. More importantly, your installer has no credibility by not understanding this basic NEM rule.

Your main concern should be that with so much excess generation, your POCO could deny/delay your NEM application and force you to disconnect your solar first. That would be a pain in the ass to work through.

My personal experience: I also manually turned on my solar in the time between AHJ inspection completion and PTO. But I made sure to consume the output with my AC. Of course, excess generation was billed but that was smaller than my consumption only so I happily accepted that fact.

Tip: if you have a Solaredge inverter, you can reduce the maximum output % to match your kw consumption rate. Essentially trying to reach 0kw net.
                  Last edited by inspron; 10-17-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• DrLumen
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2017

My installer told me the same thing. To leave it on. There was the final electrical inspection but the PTO was a couple of weeks away. I left it off. I could wait a couple of more weeks to be on the safe side. Plus, GP&L were being cool about grandfathering me in for a higher incentive rate and I didn't want to jeopardize that.

FWIW, a linemen called to set an appointment to change the meter and told me to turn it on before he got there so the SE inverter would be paired, booted up, etc. I did as he asked and turned it on a few days before. No double billing issues though as I could see the meter slow or spin backwards.

Comment

• dailo
                      • Jun 2016

How do you reduce the maximum output?

Originally posted by inspron

Tip: if you have a Solaredge inverter, you can reduce the maximum output % to match your kw consumption rate. Essentially trying to reach 0kw net.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DrLumen
                        My installer told me the same thing. To leave it on. There was the final electrical inspection but the PTO was a couple of weeks away. I left it off. I could wait a couple of more weeks to be on the safe side. Plus, GP&L were being cool about grandfathering me in for a higher incentive rate and I didn't want to jeopardize that.

FWIW, a linemen called to set an appointment to change the meter and told me to turn it on before he got there so the SE inverter would be paired, booted up, etc. I did as he asked and turned it on a few days before. No double billing issues though as I could see the meter slow or spin backwards.
                        What's in writing from your POCO ? That's the only stuff that counts.

Comment

• DrLumen
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

What's in writing from your POCO ? That's the only stuff that counts.
                          The interconnect agreement was very strict about not turning it on until it was inspected and I got the PTO.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DrLumen

The interconnect agreement was very strict about not turning it on until it was inspected and I got the PTO.
                            Thank you.

Q.E.D.

Comment

• tyab
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2016

FYI, as long as your installation is standard - aka - load side connection and you already had a compatible meter and your installer did the Agreement and Authorization stuff correctly at the beginning of the project, PG&E is actually having surprisingly fast PTO times - mine was actually five days with two days wasted because I filled out one field on the form incorrectly.

The key is the stuff under the Agreement and Authorization - these have longer processing times and it should have been submitted at the very beginning of your project. You have to sign this document which adds time.

Once you had the signed final inspection, you can then complete the APP (application) online that very same day by submitting in a scan of the final inspection form with the solar section clearly signed off. Really helps to have a legal size scanner. Otherwise you have to wait for that to be entered into an online system by the building department and then for PG&E to be able to pull it directly from that system. That can easily add one or two weeks to something that your or installer can do instantly.

In the AA and app make sure you signed up for electronic docs so you get the PTO directly from PG&E in an email - the moment you get that email your smart meter has been correctly programmed and you can turn on your new system. You will get a follow up letter in the mail along with a bunch of other stuff in about a week or longer.

And as it has been stated multiple times - leave the system off until you get that PTO. If your installer is telling you it is ok to leave on - that is a big red warning sign. Now I would question everything they did that may have been missed by the final inspection and would take the time to verify that everything was done correctly.

Comment

Working...