X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inspron
    • Aug 2017

Solaredge inverter proper shutdown and power up procedure?

Could someone that is technically astute share the best practices of the shutdown and power up procedures for Solaredge inverters?

I see there are 3 shutoff switches:
    1) Inverter red switch
    2) DC Disconnect
    3) AC Disconnect

I was warned not to throw the DC Disconnect switch while in production mode because that would be "bad" for the inverter and could damage it.
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by inspron
    Could someone that is technically astute share the best practices of the shutdown and power up procedures for Solaredge inverters?

I see there are 3 shutoff switches:
    1) Inverter red switch
    2) DC Disconnect
    3) AC Disconnect

I was warned not to throw the DC Disconnect switch while in production mode because that would be "bad" for the inverter and could damage it.
    Turn them off in the sequence you listed, and turn on in reverse. I used to ignore the switch and jump straight to step 2, but had to re-pair my optimizers one time afterwards. Generally, mechanically making or breaking an active circuit isn't a great idea, and the red switch allows the system to power down before switching.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• inspron
      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by sensij

Turn them off in the sequence you listed, and turn on in reverse. I used to ignore the switch and jump straight to step 2, but had to re-pair my optimizers one time afterwards. Generally, mechanically making or breaking an active circuit isn't a great idea, and the red switch allows the system to power down before switching.
      So the Inverter red switch is actually the "slow & safe" way to initiate the shutdown? Since DC disconnect is not the prefer 1st step, I wish there was more information on the process and how much time to wait in between the steps.

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

So the Inverter red switch is actually the "slow & safe" way to initiate the shutdown? Since DC disconnect is not the prefer 1st step, I wish there was more information on the process and how much time to wait in between the steps.
        DC disconnect is not only not the preferred first step it is highly recommended NOT to be the first step. It will not only not have rapid shut down that way but will have arching inside.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

When you flip the red switch, you can watch the system react on the inverter's display. Best practice would be to wait until the DC voltage falls to ~1 V per optimizer before using the rotary disconnect.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• eml2
            • Sep 2017

So, if I need to shutdown the system, do I really need to do Step 2? Can I just do Step 1, then Step 3?

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by eml2
              So, if I need to shutdown the system, do I really need to do Step 2? Can I just do Step 1, then Step 3?
              It depends on why you want to shut it down. If you just want it off then you could just do step #1

if you want to work n it do all three. If you just did 1 and 3 then you would still have dc current in the inverter to deal with.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...