X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a 25x30 shop on solar panels

I'm looking to put electricity in my 25x30 metal outside shop but do not want to install a 2nd service at my house. I'm wanting to run this off of solar only. I will only have (6) - 4 Bulb T8 light fixtures, a few 110 volt outlets. I will run a small refrigerator and a small freezer in the shop off of the 110 volt plugs.

I'm completely new to solar, so I'm a newbie here! I would LOOOVE to hear everyone's suggestions on what I should do and what I could probably install myself. I'm pretty tech-savvy and good at figuring this stuff out and would love to do this solar project by myself.

Can't wait to hear ideas as to what I can do here!! =)

I live on a homestead too far from grid power, so I have a complete off-grid solar powered house and out buildings with 1,500 pounds of FLA batteries and a 20KW propane powered generator.

I think you should just pay for the 2nd service drop form your power company. Your shop can certainly be powered from a solar system, but at what cost... My guess is north of $10,000 US. You will need a complete system of solar panels with mounting hardware, DC/AC inverter, charge controller, and batteries. The power needs to be sufficient for high amp power draws needed by tools like table saws, air compressors, etc. You will need batteries, and now you will have a new hobby of maintaining those batteries.

I suggest that you contact a local solar supplier and get a cost estimate for a turnkey solar system, I believe this will give you the desired information to prevent you from going with a solar powered system.

Comment

Well I determined that if I could do something like this for around ~$5000 or so myself, then I would do it.. I'm slowly wanting to switch entirely over to solar one day.. and want to start with my building outside since it's small. I could essentially get my "feet wet" with it... I don't mind the work at all. I understand there are costs for the panels, batteries, inverter, etc.. Like I said.. I really don't mind the costs too much.. Or should I start with something even smaller than that as my first project?

Comment

Originally posted by blakeaf96 View Post
        Well I determined that if I could do something like this for around ~$5000 or so myself, then I would do it.. I'm slowly wanting to switch entirely over to solar one day.. and want to start with my building outside since it's small. I could essentially get my "feet wet" with it... I don't mind the work at all. I understand there are costs for the panels, batteries, inverter, etc.. Like I said.. I really don't mind the costs too much.. Or should I start with something even smaller than that as my first project?
        I'd start by learning about the fuel - the solar resource - how much is available and its variability, and simultaneously determining your loads, their size and patterns. Reading and studying is a less expensive and necessary first step before buying.

After knocking in/around solar energy for 40+ yrs., seems to me that the common situation is for folks to fall for the idea and romance of solar energy peddled by those who make money off the solar ignorance of others.

Solar is great. It changed my life. But, make no mistake, it's probably more hassle in terms of time and less reliability than simple grid power, with limitations most folks are clueless about. It will give less energy than you will probably be led to believe from conmen for a lot more $ and hassle. Particularly off grid. Just know that walking in.

Background knowledge and research that's more than a net search turning up media B.S. and U-tube junk that's little more than a bill of goods is a lot more productive and a whole lot cheaper than ignorantly throwing inappropriate technology at an ill defined goal.

Hobbies are great. They're better when viewed with a clear eye made so by more upfront reality based knowledge.

Welcome to the forum of few(er) illusions.

Comment

Start with three things:

1. You listed your proposed lights, freezer, etc. but not how many watt-hours that represents. Research those.
          2. Take inventory of your area(s) where you think solar panels would be good, generally these would be shade free to the south. Using typical panel sizes, try to estimate how many you would place in those areas if they were free.
          3. Learn about how much solar energy (insolation) is available at your location - and when.

If you use a program called PVWatts, you will see how this links all three items. Reading as much as you can stomach in the Off-Grid and Batteries section of this forum will help you formulate questions that will keep you on track.

Comment

blakeaf96 ,

STEP # 1 ...

Here is what we need from you, and you need to know, to determine your Load in Kilowatt-Hours ...

a) How many hours per day wil those lights be ON ( and why not LED? )
            b) How many kilowatt-hours will your refrigerator use per day?
            c) How many kilowatt-hours will your freezer use per day?
            d) How many kilowatt-hours will the "few 110 volt outlets" use per day?

Do you know what a Killowatt-hour is?

Then ADD up all of those Kilowatt-Hours and that is your Daily Load.
            Reply with the answer.

Then go here ...
            https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...-panel-systems

and read all of the Sticky Notes regarding sizing of Solar Panels, Charge Controller, DC-to-AC Inverter and Battery.

Off-Grid Solar kits from $3,000 to $21,000 PLUS a Roof or Ground Mount PLUS new batteries every 5 years!
            https://www.bluepacificsolar.com/off-grid.html

Comment

Awesome! NEOH.. thanks.. and everyone else.. thnaks! I will calculate this and reply back on here with them. Thanks for all the help. I don't use many tools in the shop, etc and I'm not in there much at all. I probably will use LED lighting... I didn't even think about that. Any good lighting recommendations for a shop that gives off plenty of light while keeping the KwH down?

Comment

Awesome! NEOH.. thanks.. and everyone else.. thnaks! I will calculate this and reply back on here with them. Thanks for all the help. I don't use many tools in the shop, etc and I'm not in there much at all. I probably will use LED lighting... I didn't even think about that. Any good lighting recommendations for a shop that gives off plenty of light while keeping the KwH down?
                There are a number of shop lights that are LED and include either 4 foot tubes like a T8 or have a fixed number of LED cells running the length of the fixture. They usually come with a pig tail and plug and can be powered from a 115v outlet.

Comment

Any good lighting recommendations for a shop that gives off plenty of light while keeping the KwH down?
                  The Feit 4' LED shop light are $20-$30 each from Costco depending on the current sale. Great value!

https://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric...100284402.html

Comment

Here is a small project on youtube.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnSew-tCuPo

Comment

Originally posted by citabria View Post
                      Here is a small project on youtube.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnSew-tCuPo
                      Too bad he did not provide specific details on the battery system. Also while it was a nice job it looks like it was totally funded by the big box store HD.

Comment

Working...
                      X